Sha Sha's (Slow) KB FOTK Build for Short Troopers

shashachu

I'm beginning to see why the FOTK forearms seem to be the bane of everyone's build. The 4-part KB forearms just don't have much gluing surface to hold everything together, and the fact that I've sized them down probably doesn't help.

I was kind of able to glue the elbow side of the flat inner forearm piece to the rails (which are not flat so really don't provide that much contact surface for glue), but the wrist side (the box) just had nothing to adhere to. So I ended up making little gluing brackets out of scrap ABS to try to hold everything together:

ix4r1UNZ3dEn0budPNMUFUp3FXMBNAN_0HtUt9Vy

c9TRb9utUbGXyZhuJ_cyVoNhL_X-3zheXLJk_iY2

PvGcNTpW3YUbFTG0BSQ7G5qCR3UtThamBpmicCQT

-MVAfe3n9cVCdjhGJ0M-cijuOeJ3MYvBrbrzSxuD

yNLne7GLC9UevtibvB4m-V5_mhCcK5Co5nDWz6OZ

VUPkjvUDUO_SffLoDTl-jiJxg4qFwQ20YkPOQ85r

Would you believe this single forearm took me 3 hours? :'( And it's still full of gaps. I'm hoping that the filler with help hold things together some.

One detail that I left out was that I've decided to do my build with E6000. It might be something I'm kicking myself over later, but it's just the adhesive that I'm most comfortable with, and with the amount of disassembling and reassembling I've already done, I just don't see this build working for me with a more permanent adhesive.

Edited by shashachu

Nice fix with the brackets.

E6000 is great on areas that need to flex but for anywhere that will require bondo I like to use JB Weld as it can be sanded but does not move.

Coming along nicely, keep it up.

Took the clamps and magnets off the forearm this morning and it looks...okay? Haha. It's pretty wonky. I think it should be okay but it'll need a lot of filler and sanding.

m1pO0Fxl0xa9aK-0FlhEWAiUhuxURIGG1rpC0qbM

o-7t2ILxuGk75iqRoKnHCIfGKwxsIj_JURi1RfCa

FPTRrK5VBTIX46dr_EBbS8diDgwTHRff0-Acf0i2

QLURwA8pK4lMFXfhPlT-ScvSVcQFU6WW7v09-EVv

0spfL2lWSo6pRRUYWmtd4alQaHrAVjBV0ckg-_-3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lucnak said:

Nice idea with the brackets!

I have no idea how it's supposed to be glued down...or do most people leave that area unglued?  My hands are small enough to glue the whole thing. Or is it easier if you use a stronger adhesive? Who knows!

11 hours ago, lucnak said:
10 hours ago, lucnak said:

I built up an area of E6000 in layers to give more surface to glue to. I have 4-part and not 2-part forearms though.

I have the 4 part as well. I feel like I just did something slightly strangely. Oh well will probably work. :)

Now that I have the right arm pieces assembled, I decided to try them on (with the proper gaskets and gloves as well.) I have to say that it doesn't look too bad in my opinion:

1xAUKeGWsNX-BJvKWvQ97okqiUKwNcurIvxNTlAy

rIPpTi8QFd021WTZ-jgI4dt669OLFfY9-rB4Wdqx

Pbu-jp4D5pHqHvUbMUYaJSexSqsyEQbzYak4pLAJ

And a test to see if I can touch my helmet :)

HL4sV8HiY-Bv4XSjTg-sgHcYmSsLNzc_s64i5cHM

Here's a side by side of now vs my initial fitting. I'm pretty happy with how I've managed to size things down, although the bicep is still pretty big:

HC44LFvxB72U14X0kmyyZBcRMEvi-KUBNzBRvc7S

I also started work on the left arm pieces:

6yqXcHL8kH4XDtJK6zsr_caHeFMPUrizIYqjw12A

QecRDoYoDsv11iNaMw6yfLUOgeMXTeHf08sbsKo4

Edited by shashachu
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress.

Finished assembling the left forearm. It went a bit more smoothly than the right, but still had to do weird brackets. I'll likely need to add more, or I might use a bit of milliput to fill some of the seams and help hold things together. 

eNeGckVcmaVRpLdox-L675LuGeeqk28b4IbhmGgU

hhfYGWeypwxreN-VAB6KJSRZ4Ph-wBvnORcC4D9C

UFdLhxm2xoOCIwuLEj_sLZuBvoJuU2PNBKU33ofu

With all arm pieces together, I tried the arms on with the shoulder gaskets. It was all right, but I think I'll need to take in the shoulder gasket a bit, because my bicep piece circumference is pretty small.

q3UW7Y4rkxF5RNs6qqPu6ob_NlACuGobm067eoEU

And a shoulder bell for good measure:

KexPgmuWt1xunGn8T-3HCPOt2muQUG5LaYwJV03V

Moving along, I decided to go ahead and assemble the back and yoke. (Forgot to take many photos.) It actually wasn't as bad as people had made it out to be. I'll definitely have to do some heavy seam/gap filling, but overall it was relatively straightforward. I started by gluing the yoke to the connector piece, let that dry overnight, then glued everything to the back.

HEJ0lGh3-nVX40veD4VAgG7yKPL2MPvBOgZkVNhD

I know the chest/yoke/back is going to be one of the most challenging parts of the build because it is just *so* big. KB claims it's meant for average sized people, but it's really quite barrel chested. 

The first thing I did is trim off a bunch of excess material from the...wings? I don't know what they're called:

pe9wvphAlZ-BXCLjnGWnClthWqOf-TSabLqLA1iG

Next up, a *lot* of heat bending with my trusty heat gun. My goal was to wrap the wings more tightly around me, and greatly reduce the width of the back and chest. As with my TK, I set the heat gun around 450F-500F and slowly heated up the areas I wanted to bend. When the ABS just starts to lose it's springiness, I'd turn off the heat gun. Incidentally, the KB kit is much thinner than my WTF original TK, so I had to be careful not to overheat.

Back before:

URAOfp3GQRYvKbnXzlQyL2Y4Nr_N-JZTFgqEL45f

Back after:

nho4LW4BKCuLrkKKuXjk3tyEhLfnpR66l36ESrdK

No individual photos of the chest, but here's everything on me:

yjGfyxVTDry6QgANLbGweTaS_viZDUdJEpCgsnyj

This whole build has been kind of a rollercoaster for me - I flip flop between feeling really encouraged and being totally convinced it's impossible to fit this kit to someone my size, especially with how tough my GML is. For now I'll soldier on.

Edited by shashachu
  • Like 3

You can do it Sha Sha. Your size should NOT! be a factor at BASIC! 501st approval if built relatively close to what a movie trooper would look like. L2 and L3 are for the higher details and the more accurate looking applicants, and even those people can make it happen with some work. Don't let over scrutinuzing stop you from your dream. Remember this is about basic entry costume approval, NOT screen accuracy. 

Wow I'm impressed at your reshaping that back! It's even big for me and I'm definitely bigger than you! Though you will have an ab and TD to fit under the chest/back. I find I have a lot of extra room on the sides but less so on the front/back of my FOTI.

It might be hard work but it looks great - no GML should have a problem so far:duim:

Just a thought - looking at your shoulder bells they seem bigger then the ones I got and also they have a straight cut at the ”ends” where as ”mine” and Anovos are rounded, although I’m much bigger I still think KB made new and smaller bells, we talked about it briefly on my thread, Point beeing that maybe they need to be trimmed down/remodeled some:)

Of you know someone with an Anovos kit you could just trace that shape onto the bell and with some sanding make it look like there’s a little return there:salute:

10 hours ago, lucnak said:

Wow I'm impressed at your reshaping that back! It's even big for me and I'm definitely bigger than you! Though you will have an ab and TD to fit under the chest/back. I find I have a lot of extra room on the sides but less so on the front/back of my FOTI.

Thanks! Tbh I kind of forgot about the TD until I was looking at someone else's build the other day... But yes it's primarily the width I'm worried about. 

5 hours ago, TheSwede said:

It might be hard work but it looks great - no GML should have a problem so far:duim:

Just a thought - looking at your shoulder bells they seem bigger then the ones I got and also they have a straight cut at the ”ends” where as ”mine” and Anovos are rounded, although I’m much bigger I still think KB made new and smaller bells, we talked about it briefly on my thread, Point beeing that maybe they need to be trimmed down/remodeled some:)

Of you know someone with an Anovos kit you could just trace that shape onto the bell and with some sanding make it look like there’s a little return there:salute:

That's a good thought - I hadn't really noticed the difference in shape, but looking at the CRL image, the shoulder bells do seem rounder. I'll probably give that a go - they are definitely large on me. :)

• Like 1