April 2018 Request for CRL Updates thread

OK, I'm trying to centralize CRL change requests, as I'm aiming to update some items this month.  There have been a lot so I'm sure I'm missing some.  This will be the one place to suggest and discuss CRL changes that I'll process in April.  After that the goal is to leave them alone for a bit.

Legacy Era

* Boots - make it simpler for L1 approval

History: March's thread is here:

I have a couple of comments on the TKC CRL. 

First I think the overlap requirement should be removed. It can't be clearly seen in screen grabs what it is. And to be honest ANH handguards are used so I'd bring up the question. What if bell to handguard is ANH with the Helmet and Torso is ROTJ? No one can tell for sure either way. So I don't think it should be a requirement. Plus some makers don't offer overlap and that kinda makes you only have a couple of options to go Centurion. In this instance where we are going by game graphics we should consider this change.

My second recommendation comes from researching and staring at our pictures Ripper_L saved. In a few I swear I see two rivets in ab that line up with two in the kidney. My guess is following the idea of the 6 on left side of OTTK. If found maybe add for higher level. 

Also in reference photos two different models are used. Guessing designs for two different game systems were grabbed. One has painted stripe on kidney. Matching front. IMHO I'd like to do it. It completes the look making back look like front. 

Thoughts?

I couldn't tell if overlap armor is or isn't used looking at the current screen shots available. I'll have to take another look at some screen shots to get better details for my input on the rest. 

Randy do you have clearer screenshots at your disposal?

Sorry. These are from our gallery and someone's thread. Wookie had some photos but useless for close up details.

The first photo is where I saw ab rivet above belt.

Hey Randy - thanks for all the leg work.  Since this is pretty much the same as the ICN, I presume we should make the same changes to that one as well?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daetrin said:

Hey Randy - thanks for all the leg work.  Since this is pretty much the same as the ICN, I presume we should make the same changes to that one as well?

Wouldn't the Shocktrooper also qualify? Nevermind. I went and looked and that one is mostly ROTJ. But yes. I agree about ICN.

Edited by magni
Talking before looking

25 minutes ago, magni said:

Wouldn't the Shocktrooper also qualify? Nevermind. I went and looked and that one is mostly ROTJ. But yes. I agree about ICN.

I haven't checked all the references.  In *theory* it would be the Phase III, TKC, ICN for sure, so likely the Shocktrooper too.

Is it safe to say we could build to Centurion with either cover strips *OR* overlaps, since it's hard to tell either way? I'm going to be starting a Phase III + KTK build soon using an Anovos kit and I want to be sure I'm doing it the right way from the start.

Edited by SolidScrafty

It is always going to be a difficult decision to make when it comes to a CGI character with so little resource material to go on. If this is based on RotJ, like it looks with the chest plate trims etc, then overlap method makes sense, and now seeing Mikes image in the above post  I am even more convinced.

Looking at the costume as a whole, it's quite a mash up of things like the ANH frown paint job, completely different side rivet set up and drop box positioning, so if I had to make a call, it is going to be overlap method.

I think my other point of it was being missed. Not all makers have the overlap option. So with that you really have to buy a set from only a few makers to go Centurion. To me that doesn't feel fair. 

Mike did find that one spot that I didnt. But it isn't even illustrating right way for overlap. 

Again, think about my point above. If this suit is clearly derived from both. Grainy pictures at best. Both should be an option. And if I can't sway your judgement. Post in something bright  at top to say you have to buy only from a few certain brands to go all the way to Centurion. Hate to see someone want to go Centurion and find out later on they couldn't because vendor they bought from doesn't offer overlap construction.

Give the newer members that don't know insight.

It may be somewhat of an unpopular opinion, but I'm of the mind that if you want to build to Centurion, then you should save up and buy that kit that will get you there. It may lock a few ANH-based kits out of the running for Centurion, sure, and that does kinda suck. But I was led to believe that Centurion requirements are to be based on what you see on screen, not on availability (or lack of availability) of eligible armor kits. I agree in that it seems unfair, but you can get around that by saving up to get that ROTJ CFO or TM kit shipped from across the pond.

To me the only parts on the suit that scream ANH to me are the helmet, belt, and handplates. It's just as hard to see evidence of cover strips as it is to see overlaps due to the limitations of those '08 game graphics. It makes a bit more sense to go with overlaps because you *can* make it out on at least a couple parts while there are a bunch of other ROTJ elements present on the armor at the same time.

Either way, it certainly won't matter to the general public. They'll see that well-built ANH based Stormtrooper Commander or Incinerator and it will still produce the same "wow" factor.

And unless I'm mistaken, butt-join and cover strips are still allowed for Expert Infantry which is good enough for most of us.  

Do a lot of people still buy ATA armor? From experience I can say that can be built with overlaps. Most of my Shock Trooper parts were ATA and they turned out fine. I don't know about WTF though, but I would think you probably could if it's at all similar to ATA. I guess I'll find out when my WTF parts arrive :)

It may be somewhat of an unpopular opinion, but I'm of the mind that if you want to build to Centurion, then you should save up and buy that kit that will get you there. It may lock a few ANH-based kits out of the running for Centurion, sure, and that does kinda suck. But I was led to believe that Centurion requirements are to be based on what you see on screen, not on availability (or lack of availability) of eligible armor kits. I agree in that it seems unfair, but you can get around that by saving up to get that ROTJ CFO or TM kit shipped from across the pond.
To me the only parts on the suit that scream ANH to me are the helmet, belt, and handplates. It's just as hard to see evidence of cover strips as it is to see overlaps due to the limitations of those '08 game graphics. It makes a bit more sense to go with overlaps because you *can* make it out on at least a couple parts while there are a bunch of other ROTJ elements present on the armor at the same time.

Either way, it certainly won't matter to the general public. They'll see that well-built ANH based Stormtrooper Commander or Incinerator and it will still produce the same "wow" factor.
And unless I'm mistaken, butt-join and cover strips are still allowed for Expert Infantry which is good enough for most of us.  

Do a lot of people still buy ATA armor? From experience I can say that can be built with overlaps. Most of my Shock Trooper parts were ATA and they turned out fine. I don't know about WTF though, but I would think you probably could if it's at all similar to ATA. I guess I'll find out when my WTF parts arrive 
WTF and RT-MOD both don't offer it. I own both.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

To be clear, when we say support the overlap method, we mean only for those kits where the cover strip is molded in to the part.  Overlap would not be acceptable for kits like ATA, etc. where they are shipped separately.  I'd be OK allowing overlap even at L3, as that is how the renders look actually, *if* it's part of the mold.

Sound OK?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daetrin said:

To be clear, when we say support the overlap method, we mean only for those kits where the cover strip is molded in to the part.  Overlap would not be acceptable for kits like ATA, etc. where they are shipped separately.  I'd be OK allowing overlap even at L3, as that is how the renders look actually, *if* it's part of the mold.

Sound OK?

That's what I was thinking

I think my old Shock Trooper kit is still the CRL model. Can we replace that with someone else's? Maybe@humperdingle? My armor was never even approved as a costume and his kit looks a lot better than mine did.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SolidScrafty said:

I think my old Shock Trooper kit is still the CRL model. Can we replace that with someone else's? Maybe@humperdingle? My armor was never even approved as a costume and his kit looks a lot better than mine did.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Sorry, talking rubbish 

Edited by humperdingle
Edit

Hello fellow troopers,

there is apparently a hole in the First Order Stromtrooper TFA-CRL concerning the connection between the chest and the backplate-part of the yokepiece. Even though in the screenshots we can cleary see those parts are connected with the chestplate overlapping the backplate-part of the yokepiece, this is not specified in the CRL. IMO this overlapping and fitting is a relevant part of the way the First Order armor should be put together from the start on since this is visible in no different way in the movie.

fKI1x9T.png

My proposal for a wording in the CRL in the chest-section reads like this:

"The chestplate is fixed to the backplate-part of the yokepiece under the arm. The chestplate overlaps the backplate."

Thank you for your time and consideration.