Brand New to the Troopin'

Darth Uber

Hello.

I'm brand new to looking into becoming part of this community and world. I've probably already made a mistake and purchased an eBay auction that I have only just learned (by reading the forums here) that it was probably a bad idea. It has not shipped yet, so I'm hoping for some quick answers as I may have a chance to fix this problem.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-SHADOW-TROOPER-COSTUME-ARMOR-LIFE-SIZE-MOVIE-HELMET-PROP-ST22-/152956838098

The item is a Shadow Trooper made from fiberglass (this was one red flag?). It shows "ST 22" at the top right of the image (I'm guessing someone tagged this picture). I'm also wondering if I did get it, how much it would cost to modify from here on. I'm on a tight budget, so I'm not looking for 501st quality yet. But I don't want it to be just a Halloween costume, either. I also own the Amazon exclusive Black Series (I think) FX helmet.

Should I pull out? Should I stick with it?

Thank you everyone in advance!

s-l1600.jpg

Who is the seller? There are some decent eBayers out there for merchandise. It might not be 501st quality but it might still look pretty good. And don’t be worried about the fiberglass. People have put together very nice fiberglass suits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi dUber,

Firstly, welcome to the community. We would be happy to guide you into the world of all things Trooper!! 

Regarding the picture you've shared, by the looks of the large kidney plate and the moulded ab buttons, I'd possibly guess that it's a derivative of TKUK. As such, I'd certainly suggest that you check out the vetted armour makers here: 

There's a whole host of information here too:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. there is a lot of knowledge on these boards to help you get an awesome set of armour. :-)

Dan

The seller is hollyb1208. They seem to have sold many armor sets in the past and two other auctions went off at the same time as this one. Mostly positive reviews for the seller.

She has a few negative/neutral remarks about the armor quality which is a bit discouraging, makes me wonder if those were people looking to get into the 501st. She has a full TK suit up for like $550. At that price you can add a bit more and get a quality armor suit from a 501st vendor. Did you pay $189 for your suit? I think if you got it for $189 you could always make it a decent costume that isn’t going to look like a costume from a department store but for 501st requirements it might need a bit of work. It’s hard to tell from pics without seeing it first hand. Again with fiberglass as opposed to plastic your gonna have to cut it to fit and touch up paint it and her TK suit is automotive grade paint so you’d have to paint it well.

Thank you for the answers and the warm welcome! It has been a long time since I've been into any online community.

Yes, I paid $189. Is that fairly average? I was worried that the Shadowtrooper would be harder to find materials for. Now I am looking into the 501st vendors and guides.

• Like 1

$189 is cheap for armor but there's probably a reason... be prepared to possible have to put in quite a bit of work to get 501st approval. You may have been lucky. Start a build thread and report back.

Anovos is a decent set of armor, but as mentioned by Brien, though, it is a little on the thin side.  The wait times have been up to a year, and because of this and communication problems it has been removed from the "vetted" seller's list that Dan provided the link for.

If it's not too late, I would cancel that order.  Unfortunately, it would require quite a bit of work to get it up to 501st requirements, and it is definitely a "recast" (copy) of someone else's armor.  This is not a good thing.

Your best bet would be to save up a bit more money and use on of the sellers suggested on that thread.  They are tried and true, are known as reputable vendors, and their kits are 100% approvable when built to our standards.

In the eBay listing I noticed this quote from that seller:

(on ABS)...  and if it cracked or damaged, repairs are difficult, costly, and rarely return the plastic to its original state. Fiberglass, however, is not only more durable than ABS, but repairs to it can also be easily completed by almost anyone.

This is simply not true.  Unless you have some experience working with fiberglass, repairs are not nearly as easy as working with ABS.  Is fiberglass more durable?  Yes, in some ways, but a good set of ABS armor will last you you for many, many years, and repairs are pretty easy (and VERY inexpensive).  Plus you will have a ton of information here and hundreds of fine folks who may have had the same problems to help you out.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum mate, and good luck with your armour, whatever you do. I’m an armour building novice, having only recently completed my TK armour. I can confirm first hand that the guys n gals on here are both very knowledgable and very helpful regarding all aspects of building a costume. I can also confirm and this is from someone with no prior knowledge of ABS that the repairs are indeed very simple to undertake, heck even I can do it, so it must be simple .

Welcome, good luck in your quest for armour and ask any questions, someone will have the answer, oh and remember..... the only daft question is a question that’s not asked..... we have all been there not knowing what we were doing at some point ....

:)

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the answers again. I'm guessing the difference in ABS 0.9 and 0.125 is the width of the armor? Or is it how the ABS is made?

Also was there a standard official size for real Stormtroopers? I only keep thinking of the scene when Luke goes to release Leia from cell 2187 and her comments. I know we can all be a Stormtrooper since it's not real but I certainly wouldn't look intimidating as a short Vader! And looking at other troops (like the Deathtrooper) they were definitely large. But again, I'm not worried, I'm just wondering what the real specs were supposed to be. (Is there a page for that?)

I have cancelled my eBay order as of now, thanks to all of your advice and answers. I will be contacting someone here (as suggested) for armor in the near future.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Darth Uber said:

Thanks for all of the answers again. I'm guessing the difference in ABS 0.9 and 0.125 is the width of the armor? Or is it how the ABS is made?

That refers to the thickness of the ABS sheets used to pull the vacuum formed pieces. Thicker plastic is more durable but less flexible (in theory) and may also cause less detail in the pulls (as it is harder to suck the air out).

34 minutes ago, Darth Uber said:

Also was there a standard official size for real Stormtroopers? I only keep thinking of the scene when Luke goes to release Leia from cell 2187 and her comments. I know we can all be a Stormtrooper since it's not real but I certainly wouldn't look intimidating as a short Vader! And looking at other troops (like the Deathtrooper) they were definitely large. But again, I'm not worried, I'm just wondering what the real specs were supposed to be. (Is there a page for that?)

I believe OT Stormtroopers were 5'10"ish. Height doesn't really matter in the 501st (I'm a little short for a stormtrooper, myself) but if you are taller/shorter than the "ideal" height it just means more work to get the armor to fit you right.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Darth Uber said:

As Brien mentioned, the OT TKs were right at the 5'10 mark, but I have seen Troopers ranging from 5' 4" to 6' 6" and from 100 lbs. to over 300.  Some kits are designed for larger Troopers, (like AM) but can be effectively cut down to size.  (I am 5'10 / 155 and my AM armor fits perfectly).  Whatever size you are, we can help you reach your goal of joining the 501st and get you out there trooping!

Just remember that becoming a TK will take some time... consider this a marathon, and not a sprint.  "Hurry up and wait" is a phrase we sort of live by, but there are things you can do in the meantime that will help you get prepared for your BBB day.  I suggest getting all the supplies you will need in order before your kit arrives.  I have a list here that may help:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

If you are looking to save some money, you can order a blaster kit from Doopydoos:  http://www.doopydoos.com/stormtrooper-e-11-complete-anh-e-11-blaster-kit-offer-2685-p.asp

The thing with them is that it may take 6-8 weeks to arrive, and their communication is awful, but you will receive it, and it can be built to Centurion level, especially with one of Tino's (T-Jay) awesome E-11 finishing kits, which will take it way beyond the "next level" of accuracy.  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28444-fs-completion-sets-for-e-11-resin-kits-with-worldwide-tracked-shipping-and-paypal/

You can also purchase your undersuit, boots and such beforehand.  If you need any sources for these just PM me.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 9:10 PM, CableGuy said:

Hi dUber,

Firstly, welcome to the community. We would be happy to guide you into the world of all things Trooper!! 

Regarding the picture you've shared, by the looks of the large kidney plate and the moulded ab buttons, I'd possibly guess that it's a derivative of TKUK. As such, I'd certainly suggest that you check out the vetted armour makers here: 

There's a whole host of information here too:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. there is a lot of knowledge on these boards to help you get an awesome set of armour. :-)

Dan

Not from TKUK. TKUK uses ABS not fiberglass. And these parts are nothing like a TKUK kit

armour.jpg

Not from TKUK. TKUK uses ABS not fiberglass. And these parts are nothing like a TKUK kit

armour.jpg.8514b8aa5e02ddb6402aa7fb4e230123.jpg

Thanks. Either way, a lot of the features, such as oversized kidney, moulded ab buttons, moulded belt buttons, over-trimmed limbs etc, look very similar, hence the comparison.

fad1ec76e1963ae27eed1d9392c24757.jpg

I don’t mean to be rude, however, I would stick to my original post and recommend that those looking for armour as close to screen accurate as possible check their options. Just my personal opinion.

Regards,

Dan