Making Armor Larger to fit

Hey All. Question. I currently purchased a Battle spec from armor set. (I know the discussions about who to buy etc etc) My question is (and I've searched with no luck) Is there a way to make pieces larger that are already sealed and made? For example the calf pieces won't close. they are velcro ends on the ABS plastic. Any thoughts on what to add to expand these and make them hold? Also, where can find longer pieces of elastic with velcro ends, to expand the torso a little by a few inches. This may be a battle lost and I may just have to return the set with the dreams of a stormtrooper dying. you can see in the photos a right calf and right thigh, it can be a daunting gap.

Thanks

Paul

st1sm.jpg

st2sm.jpg

Hey All. Question. I currently purchased a Battle spec from armor set. (I know the discussions about who to buy etc etc) My question is (and I've searched with no luck) Is there a way to make pieces larger that are already sealed and made? For example the calf pieces won't close. they are velcro ends on the ABS plastic. Any thoughts on what to add to expand these and make them hold? Also, where can find longer pieces of elastic with velcro ends, to expand the torso a little by a few inches. This may be a battle lost and I may just have to return the set with the dreams of a stormtrooper dying. you can see in the photos a right calf and right thigh, it can be a daunting gap.

Thanks
Paul

st1sm.jpg.4f2a88e25ef99f24d9f75cf6f78dc44e.jpg
st2sm.jpg.8be90a7ea26afaef5d29eb32f4bf8685.jpg

You could easily buy elastic and Velcro and make that yourself. As for the gap, it’s quite big. You could try shimming them and doing some abs paste but I’m not sure it’ll look right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Paul

Don`t let the dream die, we are here to help :salute:

Looking at the fit you would however be better of sending it back for a refund and spend it on a kit to build yourself and that would be a lot easier than trying to modify what you already have. Whatever you decide to to I wish you best of luck:)

• Like 1

Ya, if they'll take it, I would return the suit for a refund. The good news is that other, more acceptable kits aren't that much more expensive than what you have now. AP and RT-MOD are generally known for being easily buildable for larger people (I don't know if you're big or the armor is small :))

Don't give up hope yet! We're all here to help.

1 minute ago, Neb Sgird said:

AP and RT-MOD are generally known for being easily buildable for larger people (I don't know if you're big or the armor is small :))

Is it possible you meant to write AM? I find AP is generally on the small side.

21 minutes ago, lucnak said:

Is it possible you meant to write AM? I find AP is generally on the small side.

No, I meant AP, although I should have added AM to my list. What have you found small in AP? I'm 5'11", 185 lbs (not big, but not small either) and I had a LOT of room to spare on every piece. The helmet might be an exception, I have some garrison members that can't fit into mine haha.

Thank you for all the help.

Anyway, I decided to keep, working on chest now, need to flare shoulder bells a little and got some plastic from Manufacturer to expand bicep arms a little. Lower half is the next project in a few months. Please excuse dirty mirror

Photo Mar 28, 10 23 51 PM2.jpg

To help the bells come closer to the bicep and chest I suggest some elastic glued to the bell as seen below on Luke :)

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

yeah waiting for some material to expand biceps to move them up, this was a rough template with some extended velcro to get them on. I’m actually working on a stormtrooper mashup design, which won’t hurt the armor so I can use it as a full trooper later. The helmet is being saved, and I bought a cheap spare to be part of the mashup.

Edited by paulpix

• 1 month later...

Ok did quick test fit of my Thermal exhaust port maintenance trooper. I know my right forearm isn’t on correctly. Still working on my tools, belt, boots and some other accessories. But fit well. Wearing overalls, still need to adjust front and rear plates. 

9461EBE0-B2AB-45B4-A428-8E6435AD8824.jpeg

Edited by paulpix

• 1 month later...

For the sizing up of armor pieces, I'm not sure on the plastic armors per say, but I am going to cut some strips of ABS for my legs and heat them in boiling water, then bend them to the curves of the interior of my current armor. I will then use a dremel to cut down the back of those armor pieces and then glue the sides of the strip to the openings to expand it by an inch or so. After that I will fill the gap with bondo so it's got a smooth seamless look. For added durability if needed I will then use some fiberglass resin and fiberglass cloth on the inside around the strip. (Note my armor is a Jim kit made out of fiberglass.)

Edited by FN-1313