Troopertony's ANH stunt build thread (ATA)

troopertony

Hello! I recently had a fantastic BBB day after a super quick turnaround from ATA Works. Everything was in tip top shape when it arrived and I am pumped to start the build. 

After reading build threads, watching videos, and some advice from experienced troopers, I'm going to be aiming this build for Centurion from the outset. This is my first time attempting such a project, so I look forward your input. I've also been working on a full resin blaster kit which may occasionally distract me while waiting for e6000 to cure. 

ygeK3tz.jpg
nI4dmNJ.jpg
sgaW7ef.jpg

My plan of attack is to start with the forearms, move to the bucket (mostly because I'm really excited to build that part), then see where to go from there.

My first question as I prep the forearms, is it easier/better to trim the return edge from the wrist before or after assembly? 

Thanks for all the collective wisdom I've benefited from so far, and I look forward to the build!

• Like 1

Congrats on your new BBB! It will be easier to remove it before assembly and then you will probably need to sand once the two halves are joined to ensure that they are nice and level.

Congrats on your BBB day, Tony, and GREAT to hear you are headed for Centurion!  Yes, as mentioned you should definitely remove all the return edge on the wrist side of the forearms (including the "hump" as seen in photo 1) before fitting/gluing.  How much you trim off the other end is up to you.  Some like to leave a bit, but below (photo 2) is a detail of screen used forearm/bicep.  You are doing the right thing by asking questions here in your thread before proceeding.  Keep it up, and remember... this will be a marathon, not a sprint.

p32DRDc.jpg?1   Aa3xspD.jpg?1

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and fully trimmed wrist sides of the forearms. So far I've got one side of the right forearm covered and curing- will do the other side once it dries. First time dealing with ABS, my lexan scissor skills improved as I went along, and my first cuts required a lot of sanding. 

UNOV8Ju.jpg

j61gL1C.jpg

H8bK2iX.jpg

I went ahead and fit and trimmed the left forearm, and ran into a snag, as I have this gap where the curved part is. Maybe an inner cover strip will help?

Hmh8cud.jpg

Edit- It looks like one of my cuts wasn't all the way straight on the forearm so that could be the reason.

Edited by troopertony
Additional info
  • Like 1

When you start adding cover strips one side at a time I bet your lines may look a little closer. Also, since the cover strip covers the joint there's not much to be concerned with other than good connection contact. No one will ever know about any imperfections ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I took off more than that but that was after I fully finished the bucket. I think I had about what you did when I first put mine together.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, troopertony said:

Did I take enough off the bottom

You can safely remove all of the flashing:salute:

Please excuse the shaky drawing:P

JUXbKG3.jpg

Edited by TheSwede
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looking good Tony :jc_doublethumbup:

Keep in mind if you plan on shooting for the higher levels of accuracy don't forget to remove ALL the return edge from the forearms wrist side. 

Keep up the good work

Sanded and cut out the teeth. I used the dremel and file method for the teeth, here's a picture of them. I found the file with one round side and flat side pretty helpful.

nU22Fas.jpg

gCTFsQF.jpg

biXmBDp.jpg

Now time to join the two halves! I've tried mocking it up with tape a few times to get a feel for how they'll fit (and to try it on!). I'm a little nervous about making the holes in the sides, but it seems like there will be room to adjust even after so I just need to look at more pics and go for it.

And it looks like I have a little more return edge on the forearms to get rid of :duim: