Build? Buy? Or Both?

Copper

I'm getting to the final stages of my ANH Stunt armor build, and I'm starting to think about an E11 Blaster.  The builds on here look very difficult, and the skill level is way above mine.

I'm following a couple builds from guys who are self-proclaimed novices, like me, so I'm hoping they will boost my courage.

Here's what I'm thinking:  Can I get a cheap, finished blaster so I can start trooping with it, then order a Doopy's with T-Jay's completion set?  I found a finished one on ebay (I know, buyer beware) that's only $30 that is claimed to be 501st approved.  If it will tide me over until I can build my own, I don't mind spending the extra 30 bucks.

Here's a link to the ebay listing:- - - --  EBAY

I've messaged the seller to see what level it's approveable to.  I'm unable to tell from the pictures, and because I'm such a novice.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I just heard back from the seller - not Centurion approved.
Is it generally okay to troop with a "lower-quality" blaster? I've read posts about others keeping their meticulously built blasters for display so they don't get dropped on a troop, but there was no mention of what they used instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So what I do is have a rubies painted blaster for going places. I haven't trooped yet but going to the movies or a party its better cause its lighter and if it gets dropped damaged who cares. And lord forbid it gets confiscated for some reason I wouldn't be heat broken. But that gets you out having fun faster and you can build your perfect blaster to your heart's content at home.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2018 at 6:57 PM, darthcue said:

I’m a cadet and have that same blaster painted.. is that good enough to troop with? I assumed it wasn’t 501st approved?

1 hour ago, suttontech said:

I’m a cadet and have that same blaster painted.. is that good enough to troop with? I assumed it wasn’t 501st approved?

yes! it is good enough for trooping.... blasters are not required for basic approval, only in L2 and L3.

I've read posts about others keeping their meticulously built blasters for display so they don't get dropped on a troop, but there was no mention of what they used instead.

Hiya

I was one of the above that thought I’d avoid trooping with my self-built blaster. Spent a couple of months building and modifying nearly every part of my Doopy’s (thanks to Tino’s excellent kit), then bought a rubber blaster for trooping. However, with all of that time and effort spent making a blaster, I haven’t Trooper the rubber blaster once!!

The Doopy’s is pretty solid when glued and screwed - I’ve trolled mine 4 times now and haven’t been concerned at all.

Building a blaster is very rewarding if you have the time to assign to the task.

Best wishes,

Dan

I've trooped my "custom" build doopydoo about 10/11 times now with no issues.  It's been knocked a few times, kids have handled it a couple of times, but not dropped.  I am sure if it was dropped it would be a sad day but I don't goof about to that point, I am a soldier of the Imperial Army after all!

• Like 1