Velcro on Forearms?

I’m building an AP TK stunt kit. After marking off where to trim my forearms and trying them on for sizing they are really snug. I don’t think I’ll be able to just slide them on. Would it be approvable to have Velcro closures on the back of the forearms similar to the shins? I am hoping to go Centurion. If this is not approvable, could I have wider cover strips to allow me the room to slide them on?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Great to hear that you are aiming for Centurion, Jameson!  Unfortunately, the forearm cover strips cannot be wider than 15mm.  Are you having trouble getting your hand through the wrist opening?

3 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Great to hear that you are aiming for Centurion, Jameson!  Unfortunately, the forearm cover strips cannot be wider than 15mm.  Are you having trouble getting your hand through the wrist opening?

Yes, that’s the main issue. The other is that it also seems to be pretty tight on the top of my forearm just below my elbow. It may get better after I trim because it’s kind of hard to piece it together exactly with the extra plastic, but it seems like it’s going to be troublesome.

Actually...you can go bigger than 15 if you need to and it won`t effect any level of aproval. Try to avoid bigger than 20 though as it won`t looks as good. If you can keep 15 in the front and 17-20 in the back then that would work to. My choice however would be to keep the sizes consistent though, front/back for example 18/18. The key is to keep the cover strips as close to Canon (screen accurate) as possible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sith Lord said:

At the end of the day it is them who will approve, not anyone here.

True but a GML must follow the CRL - not make their own standard and cover strip sizes are not regulated per the CRL. @willeywonka Keep it close to canon size and you`re good. No harm in contacting your GML though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 7:27 AM, TheSwede said:

and cover strip sizes are not regulated per the CRL.

Exactly. Which means if they don't like the look of it, they will decline it or make you do it a different way.

1 hour ago, Sith Lord said:

Exactly. Which means if they don't like the look of it, they will decline it or make you do it a different way.

You can also use the FISD Pre-approval program to post your progress and also clue in your GML.  That way there is everyone looking at the same thing.  Most GMLs should be fine, as the reality is that for L1 you can use Velcro if you wish.  As noted, they can't take anything away from you.  After you get your L1, you can then do any modification to get to L2/L3 later if you want.

One caution when you swap from Velcro to gluing that I found out the hard way and ruined a pair of thighs: when you use Velcro, there is thickness in the hook & pile strips, plus then tend to give as you put stress.  Thus, if you simply remove the Velcro and glue them shut, you'll find that you've now narrowed the circumference. In my case, that small difference meant I could no longer bend my legs.  So if you remove the Velcro, do put the part and on flex things out to ensure there is enough room.  Using painters tape or some other temporary/removable tape to test fit after removing the Velcro could save you a lot of pain. And potentially $$.