Rocket Trooper CRL Discussion

side note: I'm putting this here as I'm not sure where else to put it, feel free to move it if necessary.

Ok, so this is kind of old news, and I'm sure many of you know this already, but there is a new variant of a jump trooper. I've searched this forum to see if there was any discussion about it yet, and to my surprise, there wasn't. Since it is a cannon variant of the storm trooper, I think it should be necessary to discuss it, and possibly, if someone is up to the task, build it and make a CRL. Now I am pretty inexperienced about this, as I am kind of new to the forums, and haven't even finished my first build yet, but I thought I should at least bring up the topic. For those of you who haven't seen it yet, i'll put some pictures at the end of this post. Now it seems there are two main versions of this trooper, a star wars rebels version and a ROTJ version from BF2. 

jt5.jpg

jt4.jpg

jt1.jpeg

Edited by Ericnathan811

Well I'm glad you brought this up. I have been collecting as many images as I can find as well as playing the game. As soon as I saw it in the game I know I wanted to build it. So, it's on my list as well.

At our Garrisons last armor building party I asked a few fellow TK members who said that the helmet is based on the R1 bucket with a mohawk, and a mixture of EPIV armor and EPV/VI hands. Of course I'm REALLY new to the FISD and still researching. The back pack is another story...I'm still researching to see if there's something out there or if it would have to be made from scratch.

The chest box from the photos that I have collected are the standard ANH TI with different color scheme and the hoses are gray with a portion of the end that attaches to the helmet white.

The Battlefront II version is calls a Rocket Trooper in the game. Not sure why they didn't use Jump Trooper.

amsYorU.jpg

PRuRVpz.jpg

Mdr6zvR.jpg

ICWJbHh.jpg

Edited by BLACKFOX

Thanks for all the close ups, it really allows for a better look at the armor. Now that you mentioned it, the chest box definitely looks like a TIE pilot box, I can't believe that I didn't notice that earlier. But I don't know the difference between the ANH TIE and the ROTJ TIE chest box, so we'll need confirmation on that. However that pack looks completely unfamiliar to me, it looks like someone is going to have to make it from scratch. Since you play the game, could you possibly get a few images of just the pack? Also that Mohawk is going to be interesting to see done, since there isn't a TK that has had one yet, so it'll have to be a scratch build too. But as for the armor itself, it looks distinctly ROTJ to me, which is also the same armor used in the rest of the game. Notice the u trim around the torso, pinched shoulders, connected kidney and butt plate, and the helmet. The helmet has bubble lenses, and the frown is painted all black, its also got a taller appearance. All of these are features of the ROTJ TK:  http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_rotj 

I'm also going to rename this thread to "Rocket trooper CRL discussion" to see if we can get a CRL going.

Edited by Ericnathan811

-The under-suit is ribbed like the one in R1.

-Chest box is the ANH box as the ROTJ rocker switches are wedge shaped. Everything else is the same, minus the color variation. (reversed color scheme).

Chestbox
For 501st approval:

The chestbox is required to have the same configurations as seen in the photo.

• Chest box is white in color

• The box has 5-1" square x 1/8th" thick detail pieces:

• 2 Red, 2 White, 1 Black

• There is a 1/8" thick BLACK pinstripe border around the square detail pieces

• There are two,18 mm round indicator lights above the rocker switches. One white, one red respectively.

• There are 3 rocker switches below the round indicator lights. The rockers are always gray, white, gray. The gray rockers have red dots or lamps in their bottom.

• There is a 1/8" thick BLACK pinstripe that runs horizontally across the bottom portion of the box.

• There is a male silver snap and a silver round disc with cone knob on the lower portion of the box below the horizontal pinstripe.

• There are two "gear" type greeblies affixed to either end of the lower tube portion of the box. Theses greeblies are painted the same gray color as the rocker switches.

• Any lights or LED's added to the chest box are required to be approved by GML.

For level two certification (if applicable):

• Chest box is not electronically lit

Alright! Great work on that! :duim: Those backpack pics are great, and a few really do show the ribbed under suit. I think your chest box requirements look good too. I think we can agree that most of the CRL will be identical to the ROTJ TK, with exception of the Helmet, under-suit, rocket back, chest-plate and shoulder. And since you already have the requirements for the chest-plate, and we know the under-suite is the same as R1, this CRL will come together quickly, its just the build that will be so complicated. Here's what I put together, changes are highlighted yellow.

Shoulder Armor

For 501st approval:

• One on each shoulder. The shoulder bells are considered effectively symmetrical in shape. And can be worn interchangeably

• The left shoulder is painted orange/yellow and has a black imperial cog in the center.

• Shoulder bells are rounded at the corners.

• Shoulder bell straps 1/4"(6.3mm) wide are present, worn higher and are visible across the biceps armor like in ANH.

For level three certification (if applicable):

• Shoulder bells have foam padding inside.

• Shoulder bells are slightly pinched and worn slightly higher, compared to ANH/ESB

Helmet

For 501st approval:

• Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) and tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) are gray.

• Rear traps and tears have vertical black lines.

• Lenses may be flat or bubble, smoke or green in color, sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.

• The "ear" bars have three or four bumps, and is grey or painted grey, with a black outline.

• Painting the bumps with rank stripes (Highlighted) in black is optional.

• Frown is painted black and overlaps the teeth area. Eight total teeth on the frown are cut out.

• Tube stripes are medium blue, should be 13 per side, but can be between 9 and 16 per side with the curve bends extending backwards.

• Vocoder (vertically ribbed chin detail) is painted black.

• Aerators/Hovi mix tips (cylinders on either side of the vocoder) are black or painted black.  Tubes/hoses are connected where the aerators/Hovi mix tips would be

•  

• Tears, traps, and tube stripes should be decals, but can be hand painted, or decals that replicate hand painted.

• Mesh may be used behind the frown to obscure the face of the wearer.

• The helmet has a crest that extends from the back of the helmet to the brow and is colored appropriately

• A single orange/yellow vertical stripe is present in the center of the crest, at the back it is dotted.

• A thick gray stripe is present on both sides of the crest, each stripe has two gray triangular markings perpendicular to the stripe, which are positioned appropriately.

• Beneath the crest there is a small horizontal grey line. 

• The crest has a small rectangular piece at the front center that goes over the brow.

• Note: The helmet is accurate in detail and proportion to official references.

• Many commercially available helmets or those considered disproportionate in size or shape are ineligible.

• Ears have no visible screws per side.

• Traps/tears and tube stripes are decals (with the correct ROTJ details), not hand-painted or decals that replicate hand painted.

• Traps/tears may be either ANH gray or a slightly bluer shade of ANH gray.

• The ends of the frown are rounded, not tapered to points (not like ANH/ESB) and not squared ended like the ESB MKII.

• Ear bars have four bumps only, not three.

• Correct 'Hovi mic' aerator tips.

•  

• For level three certification (if applicable):

• Eye lenses are bubble style and tinted green.

• Ear bars have only two to three bumps painted in black (rank stripes).

• Neck trim is of an s-type profile rather than a u-type profile.

•  

Hoses

For 501st approval:

• 2 gray ribbed hoses with a 1.25" diameter and 18" to 21" in length from the helmet hose port to connect to the chestbox upper hose ports.

• Hoses are ribbed, gray vacuum cleaner hoses

I know this isn't worded the best, so feel free to change it, but I think its good for now. I had trouble describing the crest, so that description definitely needs to change.

Edited by Ericnathan811

And... subscribed!!!

You’ve got some stellar skills Sal - I know you got this!

Research and pictures are rocking mate - keep it up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 3/19/2018 at 9:01 AM, Ericnathan811 said:

. . .  it looks like someone is going to have to make it from scratch. . .

looks very doable to scratch-build.  For the main body, 1/4" ABS plastic sheets (or 1/8" in some areas?), good saw to cut with, belt sander, portable sanders, dremel with various stone grinder and sanding pieces.  Screws, nuts, and/or glue to put everything together.  For the jetpack's cylinder, plumbing parts like large PVC piping, gaskets, large O-rings.  ABS paste, putty, or some other comparable filler to fill in the seams.  Use plastic or metal brackets to attach to the backplate.  Looks like it could weigh about 4-8 lbs roughly.

If doing a ROTJ version from BF2, the chestbox could be mounted different ways - back panel with screws, magnets, velcro, etc.

Strong interior straps to support these additional components.

Good measurements and proportions are key.

Look like a fun prop to make!

Edited by Thumpy~

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update for the time being. Sorry for the long wait and inactivity on this thread, just had finals that's all. Now that it's summer I'll be on here keeping this CRL going. There have been quite a few things I have noticed about the rocket trooper in the last couple months, and I just haven't had time to work updating this CRl. Plus I still have an ROTJ TK build to finish up before I might mod it to be the first rocket trooper :smiley-sw013:. Might even get a build thread started for my tk, despite the lack of photos I have for the build so far :laugh1:.  It's about to get super active on this thread so in the words of Lando: 'You might want to buckle up, baby!"

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this hasn't been mentioned here: the armor in all the new Battlefront games is ROTJ, not ANH (not talking about the handguards, helmet, etc., just the body armor). Biggest evidence of this is the attached kidney/butt.

That said, if we want to ignore that fact for this CRL so I can adapt my ANH kit, I wouldn't complain ;) 

I agree Ben, it is RotJ and would need to be the correct armour even from basic level. Those images leave no doubt.

I think modifying an ANH kit by fusing the Butt and Kidney plates together would work, then adding the trim material that goes around the chest Ab and back sections would suffice.

The belt proper, would need to be of the RotJ kind a swell (Nylon, not canvas) and not that I can see it in these images, but for higher levels, the boot soles would need to be painted white.

Ok, two things I've noticed that I want to mention, and I'm working on getting good screenshots of, would be the mohawkand the under suit. The under suit does appear to be ribbed, however I can't tell if it would be enough to be included in the CRL. Compared to the standard ROTJ tk, (which isn't ribbed for the original prop) in the game the under suit is also ribbed, and compared to the FO tk, (which we know is ribbed for tghe original prop) The FO tk in the game also has a ribbed suit, but the ribbing is much larger. Since the ribbing appears to be minor, and that other detachments making CRLs from this game don't include ribbed suits, I don't think this one has to either, at least not for level 1 or 2. Again, I'll post close up comparison as soon as I can, so a clear call can be made. 

The second thing I wanted to adress was the mohawk. It appears to have a strong resemblance to the standard TIE pilot helmet, especially the front. I'll get some close ups on it,  I was wondering if it is close enough in size and shape to be taken off a TIE helmet, or if it would have to be made from scratch like the pack.

That's about all for now, and pics should be uploaded within a week :duim:

• 3 months later...

I took these photos some time ago of the backpack. https://www.imgur.com/a/aZPFL

If needed I can provide screenshots in just as good detail of any other parts. 

https://crookknight.com

Used my photos as a help to create the backpack from the game AFAIK. So you're sorted there for the backpack at least. 

Edited by Quakecry

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Stormystormtrooper said:

Any news on this? Recently saw it in-game, and quickly went over here.

Someone has to physically build one then have it submitted via their GML to the LMO team for consideration of becoming approved and then made model for the CRL before a CRL can go live 

11 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Someone has to physically build one then have it submitted via their GML to the LMO team for consideration of becoming approved and then made model for the CRL before a CRL can go live 

I thought as much. Thanks for the reply! Hope we can see this someday.

The differences I have found between Rebels and Battlefront:

The air hoses. In rebels, the hoses are connected to the jetpack. In Battlefront, they are connected to the chestbox, unique only to the battlefront trooper.

8vPyVYc.pngKDRxllL.png

g2tE6Tr.jpg

The armor. The helmet in battlefront is from Return of the Jedi. The one from rebels is the animated one, BUT, it has a little greeble on the chin. The lens are also one piece. The frown appears to be much thinner, painted white. 

In rebels, there also appears to be "grunts" jump troopers without the orange shoulder armor. These are not in battlefront. 

lsF9s8Q.jpg

Edited by Stormystormtrooper