Salshred's First Time Build

salshred

Definitely looks better! I would personally probably continue to level it even more - from the side, you can see the angle of it coming down near the "nose." I believe it's ultimately up to you how you'd like the brow to sit. You tend to see them bow upwards more than downwards, though that's more frequently the case with TDs than ANH Stunts.

Yes I think I'm going to give it another pass with the dremel when I get home tonight. I want it to sit slightly higher than it is right now.

After that, all that's left is to put the two snaps into my butt plate and take some more photos! I need some touch up paint on the helmet and ab buttons as well. I want to define the Vocodor a little better. My friends and I plan to do a little test run wearing the suits this Friday, so hopefully I can identify and address any fit issues after that.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice so far! Ill try and post some more photos tonight and tomorrow!

• Like 2

Hey Sal:salute:

If possible I would suggest that you reposition the face plate, It looks a bit squeezed...removing the ears and drill out the rivets and then take it down and back as illustrated by arrows will make it look more like reference pic:)

jkVw6LM.jpg

• Like 2

I used screws and nuts to attach the faceplate, so I can pull everything apart fairly easily. I will check where all my drill holes are and see if I can adjust the faceplate without any visible holes.

Time for some experimentation! Hopefully I don't end up worse off than before...

• Like 1

I also used a pencil to mark center on both parts of the helmet, that way when I’m moving it around to find the right placement I know it’s still centered.
And not that you want to cut more off. But I had to remove about 3-4 mm from the brow to lower the back shell down for the look I wanted.
Good luck, but seriously be careful where you cut, I almost removed too much from a couple spots that would have been hell to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips Reaper!

I ended up using one of my original holes and then measuring out the exact distance on the other side for the second hole. Then once I had the faceplate on, I tilted it until I got the desired brow. I also tool the dremel to the bottom of the cap to reduce the overall high of the brow. It looks nice and straight to me now. And now the ears are equal distances from the cheek tears. If you look at some of my previous photos, the right ear was way closer to the tears than the left.

Overall I’m happy with it. It was a real struggle to get it back together again. I didn’t realize I had to re-trim the ears to get them flat since I changed the shape of the faceplate. The new ears have a slightly bigger gap than before, but I can live with it.

7c054e99d373e3554f1e049b6a9cc2fb.jpg4e337f9dfef2851880393d3da21c1834.jpgac1a8fd4750303b0bc7fc25d42ced39d.jpg12038827b39a5082a17dba52f45a28b6.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. It is little subtle changes, but I hope the effort is noticeable to you guys haha

• Like 1

Well done, Sal. Definitely an improvement.

As pictured below, the line of the back cap usually runs parallel to the top line of the eyes, and yours is much closer to the now. :-)

eadc89c78414180f96f1cd80eb01a3c6.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Now I just need to figure out the snaps for the butt plate. I have trimmed it down and it feels pretty good, but it doesn't have a natural bend to help tuck it between my legs. I am hoping the elastic that attaches it to the cod will keep it tucked. I will post some pictures when I get home from work today.

• Like 1

hey just checking in here. Yes as Lucnak said, a hot water bath will help that butt tuck under well. I had the same issue with mind but took a heat gun to it. the only real thing that is bugging me about your armor is the thigh ammo belt. That may need to be replaced. you have done a great job with what you have. if I could offer a bit of advise that may help in the long run (and end game of being 501st approved) is to get in touch with your local garrison. find out who the GML is and start talking with them, they will be the ones approving you after all. They can start pointing things out that they may not like or that is fine and you wont really need to fix. Keep it coming here as well, but use all avenues you can to get that armor in battle ready condition. the only other thing that kinda sticks out to me now is the tub stripes on the helmet, my get knocked for them flowing under the ears. do you have a plan for those? you must be very careful with what you put on that plastic to remove paint

Just now, salshred said:

Extra tube stripe will be removed using acrylic thinner. Does it matter if one side has more stripes than the other?

From the CRL

Tube stripes are between 9 and 16 on each side.

but it doesn't say an even number. If I am not mistaken, the Hero versions have different numbers of stripes on each side. but again that would be something to check on with your GML. Some wont care, some will deny you right away. its all up to them

Extra tube stripe will be removed using acrylic thinner. Does it matter if one side has more stripes than the other?

Nope. Even amounts are not a requirement. Between 9 and 16 stripes per side.

Mine are one out side to side. :-)

Edit - purely to keep it looking nice, I’d try to stick to a maximum of one or two different. It’ll start to look odd otherwise.

• Like 1

Ok cool. I already took a Q-tip with thinner and started taking off just that one extra stripe that's under the ear. Ill just go ahead and remove just that one.

As for my GML, I received an email from him regarding the basic steps to submit photos. I told him I would be submitting mine soon. One of my other friends who are also working on this same type of kit has already submitted his photos to the GML. He is in the approval waiting queue. So far, the only thing the GML mentioned that might be an issue for basic was the Velcro showing on his belt when it was on and all closed up. Now he is just waiting to hear back.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Commander Gree said:

the only real thing that is bugging me about your armor is the thigh ammo belt. That may need to be replaced. you have done a great job with what you have.

I think I missed this, but it's a good catch. The thigh ammo belt looks like on the inside it is secured near the middle instead of the top corner. Can you post a photo so we can have a better look? Bit hard to see in the photos previously posted.

Yes the inside part of the ammo pack had to riveted closer to the middle than the corner. the shape of this kits thighs and the bottom ridges are a little wonky. I was able to rivet the outside corner properly, but in order to get it lined up how I wanted, I had to rivet the middle and up a little higher on the thigh. Ill see what the GML says. Replacing the thigh ammo pack is easy enough, but covering up my original rivet holes will be quite the task.

22 minutes ago, salshred said:

Yes the inside part of the ammo pack had to riveted closer to the middle than the corner. the shape of this kits thighs and the bottom ridges are a little wonky. I was able to rivet the outside corner properly, but in order to get it lined up how I wanted, I had to rivet the middle and up a little higher on the thigh. Ill see what the GML says. Replacing the thigh ammo pack is easy enough, but covering up my original rivet holes will be quite the task.

ABS paste will do for that. There is a thread here that I will try and tag you in, as my copy and paste isn't working. there is generally a sight tilt up to that ammo pack, so it doesn't have to exactly sit flush on the armor.