Removable weathering

Neb Sgird

Hey folks, what do you all use for weathering? I want to easily go back and forth from HWT to shiny white TK if/when I want to. Therefore, I want my weathering to be easily cleaned, hopefully with not much more than rag and soapy water. Any ideas? Charcoal powder maybe?

Also, I was hoping to make blast marks, as if the my armor had taken a few hits. Any methods you guys use to bmake a sort of crater/impact mark on the armor?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/16/2018 at 7:21 AM, justjoseph63 said:

I am including something in your package, Ben.  I will PM you this afternoon to explain how to use it.

I actually found the eyeshadow in my package before I read this and thought you might have left it in there on accident! Thanks Joseph, you're the best.

I've had a great response to my question on the HWT facebook group, so I figured I'd share here for future troopers. Seems like dollar-store eyeshadow and charcoal powder are the leading contenders. I'll probably do a nice mix of the two.

A great method that was mentioned on FB was to coat a tennis ball in charcoal powder and have someone throw it at you in your armor. Should make a nice impact mark for blaster scoring. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 2:46 PM, Neb Sgird said:

A great method that was mentioned on FB was to coat a tennis ball in charcoal powder and have someone throw it at you in your armor. Should make a nice impact mark for blaster scoring. 

Never thought of doing something like that. I have a feeling my fiance would be happy to pelt me with tennis balls.

I'd like to see how this comes out.  I used Woodland Scenics which is water based and comes off.  I think it will be hard to get them completely out of the crevices each time you want to go clean again.

To clarify what I meant in the post to Ben about "including something in the package", what it was (as he mentioned) was black ladies' eyeshadow.  I was in a dollar store, saw it and thought.. "that could work".  I bought that, and a "blush" brush there to apply it with, and it worked out great.  It is not water soluble, so it stays on really well.  I've only had to touch it up a few times, even after 30or so troops.  To remove it, you can use any common household degreaser like 409.  (Or just go HWT full time, ;)).

The one thing I would warn about is that is can rub off to an extent.  I wrap my bucket in a small trashbag to prevent it from getting on the fleece liner of my helmet bag.

One suggestion, though..  less is more when it comes to weathering HWT armor.  You really don't need to go overboard.

I have also used water based acrylic paint for weathering, even when dry it comes off easily with some polish.

• 7 months later...
On 4/25/2018 at 10:30 AM, Alay said:

I used charcoal powder then hair spray to keep it on.

Gave the armor a bath and it all came off ezpz =)

Doesn’t the hairspray make your armor sticky to the touch?

On 12/8/2018 at 9:21 AM, Ru4scuba said:

Doesn’t the hairspray make your armor sticky to the touch?

Nope, but it does make it smell FABULOUS

FWIW, I used to use Woodland Scenics paints which are water based, and come off with water.  Yes, you have to touch them up from time to time, but it takes a very short amount of time to apply and they are cheap. 

7 hours ago, Daetrin said:

FWIW, I used to use Woodland Scenics paints which are water based, and come off with water.  Yes, you have to touch them up from time to time, but it takes a very short amount of time to apply and they are cheap. 

Thx for the tip!  Found some black matte acrylic at Michaels I’m going to give a shot..it’s their basic brand...woodland scenic seems to get a lot of use on the boards...will have to get some of that and compare!

Thx for the tip!  Found some black matte acrylic at Michaels I’m going to give a shot..it’s their basic brand...woodland scenic seems to get a lot of use on the boards...will have to get some of that and compare!
Assuming your keeping with the topic on this thread, i would stay away from acrylic. It will be comparatively hard to remove, and in my mind would be tough to make a weathering pattern with. Just my two cents.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Neb Sgird said:

Assuming your keeping with the topic on this thread, i would stay away from acrylic. It will be comparatively hard to remove, and in my mind would be tough to make a weathering pattern with. Just my two cents.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Well said...had no intent to hijack...keep debating on going back and forth between the two (removable or more durable).

Thx for the info though!  Good to get as many opinions as possible before I launch

Mix up a solution of white pva glue and water 70/30 glue to water. Brush that on the armor first. Then weather with sponged acrylics. 

If you want to remove the weathering, just wash the armor in warm water. It will dissolve the White glue and the rest comes off in layers. :)

1 hour ago, pandatrooper said:

Mix up a solution of white pva glue and water 70/30 glue to water. Brush that on the armor first. Then weather with sponged acrylics. 

If you want to remove the weathering, just wash the armor in warm water. It will dissolve the White glue and the rest comes off in layers. :)

Interesting...first time hearing that one...thx!