Alternatives to pop rivets for connecting plastic and canvas belt

Twice I've had the pop rivet holding the plastic belt to the canvas belt pull through or break - the latter as I was getting suited up for a troop this morning. (Luckily a Garrison mate had white duct tape handy to hold it in place during the troop - screen accurate!)

Are there sturdier alternatives to the pop rivets? Maybe Chicago screws?

4 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

Did you back up the rivet with a washer?

I did - the first time the rivet pulled through it was actually on the canvas side. This time the rivet just broke.

15 hours ago, Harbinger said:

Well, the film suits used cap rivets... could give those a try.

True. I was trying to avoid buying another tool for a single use, but they're probably a lot stronger than pop rivets.

14 hours ago, shashachu said:

I did - the first time the rivet pulled through it was actually on the canvas side. This time the rivet just broke.

How did you punch the hole, a rivet on the outside should be plenty to hold it in.  The rivet breaking is odd, pop rivets don't just break. Was it set properly?

14 hours ago, shashachu said:

True. I was trying to avoid buying another tool for a single use, but they're probably a lot stronger than pop rivets.

Cap rivets are super cheap and all you need to set them is a hammer. I've even set some with pliers.

8 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

How did you punch the hole, a rivet on the outside should be plenty to hold it in.  The rivet breaking is odd, pop rivets don't just break. Was it set properly?

The hole in the canvas was burned with a soldering iron. The rivet breaking was really strange - I thought it was set properly, but maybe not?

10 minutes ago, shashachu said:

The hole in the canvas was burned with a soldering iron. The rivet breaking was really strange - I thought it was set properly, but maybe not?

Bad idea to use the soldering iron. You've made the hole too big I bet. Just use a nail the size of your rivet next time, to punch through the belt.. 

That's my thought, probably leaves the ends open to fray.  A nice clean cut will always be less likely to be an issue.  I used a very cheap, £5, rotary punch and it left a nice clean hole.

Got it; that makes sense. I actually fixed the pull-through by backing the canvas end of the rivet with a thin piece of ABS - like a plastic washer. I think I may go ahead and switch to Chicago screws for this build. Thanks for the input, everyone!