HELMETS

THIS POST IS RESERVED FOR EASY INFO REFERENCE, TO BE COMPILED AND PUT TOGETHER UPON THE DISCUSSION'S COMPLETION.

CURRENT HELMET MARKET:

ANOVOS (Plasic)

PROS:

CONS:

BSP (Fiberglass)
PROS:

CONS:

KB PROPS (Resin)

PROS:

CONS:

JIMMIROQUAI (Fiberglass)

PROS:

CONS:

Edited by kayleesi

Updated the armor supply count thread with new list for who has/needs helmets.

A good chunk of people have ordered plastic ANOVOS buckets from Heather, which are due in...June? I think? If you haven't gotten in on that and want to, I believe the order cutoff for diamond has already passed, so we can no longer guarantee delivery through these means if you have not placed your order with her.

Some other options:

BSP - Fiberglass
Jimmiroqaui - Fiberglass
KB Props - Resin

All of these will come raw. Your BSP kit is white ABS, but we don't know how white until it is in hand, so please do not start painting until you see what your plastic looks like or you'll have to start over to get it to match.

Edited by kayleesi

A big con for BSP is that the BSP helmet doesn't seem to be accurate. This comparison thread points out the issues with the BSP helmet: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42616-tlj-helmet-comparison/ That same thread also shows the Phoenix Props helmet which also seems to be a bit off. In terms of accuracy, it seems that Anovos, Jimmiroqaui, and KB Props are the closest to the screen used helmet. 

• Like 1

Pro for Anovos is that it's a finished helmet, no assembling/trimming/sanding/finishing/priming/painting to do. 

Con for Anovos is previous experience with Anovos. I say this as someone who has ordered 2 TLJ helmets from them, I am still nervous about them being delivered. Their business practices and failed promises in the past are disheartening and concerning. Never the less, I bit the bullet because I don't want to spend a ton of time building the helmet and there were no other good options presented before Heather's cut off for buying a helmet at her discounted price. 

We did a group order for the TLJ Anovos helmet, we were told they would be arriving this summer. This is one of my concerns, that the helmets will not arrive this summer as promised. This is a likely possibility. Luckily, our goal is to finish this group build for Episode IX, so even if takes them a year to arrive we'll still have them for that date. 

They had two TLJ TK helmets on display at ECCC. I'm not interested in that version so I didn't even think to ask (beg, plead, threaten, cajole...) if they might be purchasable from the con... Even if it hadn't worked, I'd've at least made the attempt. :P

Also, there's the ANOVOS premiere TFA TK lid in fiberglass to add to the discussion list. I am not an authority on it, though I know some are. I'm sticking with the standard.

I didn't buy from the Anovos booth because we're getting a better deal from our group order. I did take a look at the Anovos TLJ helmet at the booth, it looks fine to me. Much improved over the TFA helmet they did, which I own one of. I'm not using my Anovos TFA helmet for this build because I got it signed, so it's no longer wearable. The 6 Anovos helmets you could use for this build are:

TLJ Premier - Fiberglass, $550

TLJ Executioner Premier - Fiberglass, $600

TFA Premier - NO LONGER AVAILABLE
TFA Standard - NO LONGER AVAILABLE
TLJ Standard - NO LONGER AVAILABLE

TLJ Executioner Standard - NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Edited by grenaidan
Updated information
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I posted to the FB Group, but figured I'd update this thread as well! I've been turned on to a few more makers so I figured I'd post them:

Armory Shop

https://www.facebook.com/armoryshop.ru/ - https://www.etsy.com/listing/554662591/tlj-executioner-stormtrooper-helmet-the?ref=shop_home_active_26
Raw Cast - $190

Finished TLJ or Executioner - $370

TDK Props

https://www.facebook.com/TDK-Props-537706609725029/?hc_location=ufi
Unfinished Kit - $280

JMS Props + Headshot Props (JMS Designed, Headshot Produced)
https://www.facebook.com/JMSxProps/?hc_location=ufi
Unfinished Kit - $225

Diversity Props
https://www.diversityprops.com/ - https://www.facebook.com/DiversityProps/?ref=br_rs
Unfinished Kit - € 175.00

Edited by grenaidan

Helmet Maker List - Pros and Cons
Sorted by Aidan's Top Pick -> Aidan's Bottom Pick

JIMMIROQUAI (Fiberglass) - $

PROS:

Very close to screen accurate, well detailed. Maker is established and should be able to deliver. Not Anovos. 

CONS:
Fiberglass is heavy. 

JMS PROPS + HEADSHOT PROPS (Resin) - $225

PROS:

Very good design, very close to Anovos'. Not Anovos. 
CONS:
Production time, otherwise not a lot of cons with this one

KB PROPS (Resin) - $

PROS:

Not Anovos. Established maker, does FO TK / TI helmets regularly. TLJ TK helmet is nicely detailed, quite accurate. 

CONS:

Recently had a fall out with their production partner, may not be available?

ARMORY SHOP (Resin) - $190 Unfinished or $370 Finished
PROS:

Available. Can order on Etsy. Model seems fairly screen accurate. Not Anovos. 

CONS:
Frown may not be completely screen accurate? 

TDK PROPS (Resin) - $280 Unfinished
PROS:
Good cast, looks screen accurate. Not Anovos. 
CONS:
Maker located in Australia, shipping costs may be high

DIVERSITY PROPS (Resin) - € 175.00 ($205)
PROS:
Looks like a decent cast, fairly accurate, availability good. Not Anovos. 
CONS:
Located in Netherlands, pricing in Euros, shipping and currency conversion costs

BSP (Fiberglass) - $
PROS:

Not Anovos. Also making our armor. 

CONS:

Model is not screen accurate as of this writing (See this post: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42616-tlj-helmet-comparison/)

ANOVOS (Plastic) - $550+

PROS:
Fairly screen accurate. TFA models are available now. Finished helmets, no building to do.

CONS:
TLJ models delayed/not available yet. Horrendously bad customer service. Affordable models are no longer available, at all. 
If you absolutely have to buy an Anovos, at least try to buy it second hand so they don't get any of your money. I can not put any of my support behind this company. 

Edited by grenaidan

Please note: My ranking above is subject to change and I've provided the best info I have right now. I'm not trying to put down any makers (Except Anovos, screw them) I'm just trying to rank based on what I personally would invest in. My top 3 right now are Jimmi, KB, and JMS. All three are well detailed. I need prices for Jimmi and KBs helmets to compare the cost. The only reason BSP is near the bottom is because the frown is wrong. We are buying BSP armor, I don't think BSP is a bad maker, but their helmet is not correct. 

Also, for those following along with Garrison Titan's build, we got dealt a pretty crushing blow a few months ago. We had a massive helmet order in with Magic Mirror Comics here in Seattle. They had an order with Diamond, a distributor. Magic Mirror Comics had to close shop and had no way of transferring their order from Diamond, so our entire order was cancelled. These are helmets that Diamond had guaranteed from Anovos, so we all but had them in hand. We are now looking into other group order options, but many may be placing solo orders. 

Edited by grenaidan

• 5 weeks later...

Went for £110,000 plus commission and VAT!

I grabbed all the images from the post as reference. They always take nice clear photos of their lots.  There's also a few other Star Wars items worth grabbing.

• 11 months later...

As an update, a number of us have started ordering helmets from BigBadToyStore, which has Anovos helmets in stock: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/65435

I personally ordered and received one of these, another member also ordered and received one. I have since ordered a second one for my wife's build. 

Entertainment Earth has the same helmet on Pre-Order for less money, however delivery time is stated to be sometime in October:
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/star-wars-the-last-jedi-first-order-stormtrooper-helmet-prop-replica/nv01171122

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2018 at 12:47 PM, grenaidan said:

HEADSHOT PROPS

Since you mentioned them, I thought I'd post a warning. I'd would say don't buy from Head Shot Props. They might have been okay at one time, but they've gone downhill. They have horrible communication. I made an order for R1 back in 2018 and it never arrived (now coming up on 2020) Even with the extensive delays (totaling over a year) they failed to give any significant progress update on the project. I asked for a refund/cancellation since they didn't deliver: They lied and said I would receive it in <30 days. (which never happened)

Hope nobody else falls into this trap like me!

Unfortunately I'm just out that money since most payment protections (Looking at you, Paypal) only last a few months.... Guess I'm S.O.L.

If you haven't, I'd keep reaching out to whomever you used for payment (paypal or bank). Sometimes they may cover you even if past the protection time period (some have had luck with getting their refunds from Anovos).

A few of us picked up the Anovos TLJ buckets from bigbadtoystore and have shown them to those looking to get helmets. Most will probably go that way, just for simplicity (the rest of the costume is hard enough!).