TLJ FOTK Build Thread - Mountain Garrison

Drunkenmunkey

Starting up a thread here to cover my build for the TLJ FOTK. Pieces are sourced from places as follows. The wait begins!

Kit - KB Props

Helmet - TDK Props

Boots // Gloves - Imperial Boots

Gaskets // Neck Seal - Sheev's Emporium

Belt - Kit from Belts of the First Order

Undersuit - ?

Blaster - ?

For a blaster, if you don't want to print your own, these look decent.  I think he sells them here too, but I'm not sure. They're not smooth though.  You'd have to sand, primer & re paint it to get it really smooth.  But it's an option.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/245791161/f-11d-blaster-11-scale

If you have access to a 3D printer, and willing to spend a lot of time doing it yourself, the print files are available here.

If someone you know has a 3D printer, it's worth printing it out yourself.  Less than a $20 roll of PLA will print it. Then, smoothing and painting is the crafty part.  There's multiple ways of doing it, XTC 3D coating then sanding and painitng, bondo glaze, sanding, primer, painting, etc...  So, you'll probably spend another $60 in paints or coatings, and then you'll need some screw hardware ($12).  So you're already halfway to the Etsy guy.  But if you're going to build 3 of them for your garrison, it's worth it since the cost doesn't go up very much for multiples.  I would think you could easily build 3 of them with about $120 in materials plus finishing labor.

Here are the 3D Printing files:
https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32544-free-tfa-f-11d-3d-printable-files-available-now/

• 1 month later...

Mine is PLA but can’t report on summer durability - fingers crossed! ABS and PETG are way better though. Did you use an acetone bath?

Edited by Harbinger

Updates! 

Boots and gloves from IB are arriving this week.

Final payment made for pet G kits, all 3 of us will be shipping by the end of this week.

Will order helmet when Tom from TDK Props gets a new mold in. Then gaskets from Sheev's Emporium! Goal is to be finished by first week of June.

Edited by Drunkenmunkey
  • Like 1

Yay progress!

And imo at least for our garrison there is no point in having a blaster. I have only been on a few select troops where it was allowed, and the majority of those were north of the border. I'm going rubies repaint all the way. It's way to small but no one can tell and it's not that important of an item

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Well this should be done soon. Thanks to Calvin and myself... troopers helping troopers. Was fun to take on another build at times, though I could have done without the PMs at Midnight or 3am about progress and random questions

If anyone is interested in Montana brand paints do yourself a favor and start with Montana Primer. Rustoleum continues to be a source of all my issue because it just doesn't cure well. The montana brand paints cost more but they cure better. You do have to use a Clear gloss laquer from Montana to get the shine but it works and looks pretty well.

Will try to update with pics, if you have been on the First Order Facebook page you have been following the build. Was glad to work as a team, Calvin did all the assembly and I did all the paint work and Sebastian paid us in beer and pizza.

• 1 month later...

Updating this craziness, the first order group on Facebook is much easier to directly post on. Getting the kit in the first place after it was nearly lost within the whole KB Props/Hal debacle last May was a complete nightmare that eventually resolved itself, the second nightmare was figuring out how to start on the process of putting the kit together. Huge thanks to Dustin, Calvin, and the rest of my local crew for getting this done for me with my crazy life schedule. We're done and took approval pics this past Sunday, it's currently at peer review now! 

The kit is comprised of the following:

Armor: KB Props

Helmet: TDK Props (Tom Campbell)

Gasket's: Sheev's Emporium

Boots & Gloves: Imperial Boots

Paint: Montana Gold every step of the way (primer, shock white/black, varnish, etc.)

We are aware of the minor placement issues with the TD, the abdomen right a little low, but plate not having a gap of black between it and the abdomen, etc. They are all easily fixable and we are more than happy to retake photos to  fix those. 

Here are some pics for you to enjoy:

u2Q1j1i.jpg

bK6Eq6Q.jpg

ISvnWg9.jpg

v5sWO9S.jpg

• Like 1

Wow this has certainly come along nicely, good to see you have already listed the minor alterations, well done sir.

3 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Beautiful armor you have there Sebastian, that helmet especially, is it Anovos? 

That would be quite a feat for obvious reasons :)

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

That would be quite a feat for obvious reasons :)

Not really, it looks like an Anovos with some slight modifications however, I see TDK made it so I must be mistaken ;) 

Beautiful armor none the less.    

• Like 1

It's a TDK bucket; glad to see my finishing work is being compared to Anovos or maybe I'm not

I feel like I'm waiting for approval on this like it's my own probably because I've spent so much time this past year working on it lol. Thanks for all the good comments and feedback

Side notes: After trying different rigging methods with the cod and butt plate I ended up going with Velcro attached to 2 - 2 in nylon straps. Those attach right to the Velcro on the inside of the ab plate. The weight of the abs hasn't presented any issues. Obviously the more sure area you have for Velcro the better.

The bucket lenses had to be swapped from bubble lenses to flat lenses; trooper needs glasses to see, the flat shield also improve vision IMO and I have made a similar mod in my own bucket.

Lesson learned: We had sized the chest and back without the ab piece to start and had no issues, this was a mistake because you should always size your ab first than size your chest back to the ab. Luckily using the great people on the First Order Facebook page I was able to buy a sheet of ABS and make what I call "wings" that Velcro to the back and the chest on the sides. As you can see from the above pics its not even noticeable.

For the holster I had some issues with it sitting flush against the leg. I ended up shimming the Chicago screw with scrap abs to adjust. If you are using CA glue your stuck with the height you have so take your time and adjust till your shims pull the holster flush. I think I ended up with an extra shim maybe from scrap ABS on the top side.

Also always be careful on return edge, I had to modify a bit for the size of this trooper to get some movement. In the end though we ended up coming with a different process for kitting up. Flexibility and movement is always going to be bit restricted in this kit, not sure what other mods I could think of to improve arm movement

Also fun before I even started there was a huge crack in the ab. I backed with scrap abs and filled with bondo and sanded smooth. I'm a bit concerned about this in the long term but luckily using over the counter paint should mean it will be a simple fix. (sand, paint, clear, wet sand) Would be more heartbreaking if automotive paints were used.

Overall I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed working with montana brand paints. I had worked with them on my shoretrooper and now this kit and it was a great process. As I have said before just use the Montana primer before anything else and let that cure well than make sure you wet sand the primer smooth with 2k to 3k. Small painting tip though have a clean towel with you when painting and wipe your nozzle clean after each stop to prevent runs. And always check on the weather. I got this done by having my parts and paint stored indoors before I started and curing indoors. The weather was usually right around 55 F each day but that's really the lowest temp you can pull off.

If there is anything I can do to help or provide feedback feel free to ask. Would love to see more First Order troopers this year!

2 hours ago, heartstopper85 said:

It's a TDK bucket; glad to see my finishing work is being compared to Anovos or maybe I'm not

I feel like I'm waiting for approval on this like it's my own probably because I've spent so much time this past year working on it lol. Thanks for all the good comments and feedback

Well despite their shortcomings they were the only company given permission to scan and replicate the screen used armor, giving them the highest accuracy. So yea I'd take that as a compliment :duim:

1 hour ago, heartstopper85 said:

Side notes: After trying different rigging methods with the cod and butt plate I ended up going with Velcro attached to 2 - 2 in nylon straps. Those attach right to the Velcro on the inside of the ab plate. The weight of the abs hasn't presented any issues. Obviously the more sure area you have for Velcro the better.

The bucket lenses had to be swapped from bubble lenses to flat lenses; trooper needs glasses to see, the flat shield also improve vision IMO and I have made a similar mod in my own bucket.

Lesson learned: We had sized the chest and back without the ab piece to start and had no issues, this was a mistake because you should always size your ab first than size your chest back to the ab.  Luckily using the great people on the First Order Facebook page I was able to buy a sheet of ABS and make what I call "wings" that Velcro to the back and the chest on the sides. As you can see from the above pics its not even noticeable.

For the holster I had some issues with it sitting flush against the leg. I ended up shimming the Chicago screw with scrap abs to adjust. If you are using CA glue your stuck with the height you have so take your time and adjust till your shims pull the holster flush. I think I ended up with an extra shim maybe from scrap ABS on the top side.

Also always be careful on return edge, I had to modify a bit for the size of this trooper to get some movement. In the end though we ended up coming with a different process for kitting up. Flexibility and movement is always going to be bit restricted in this kit, not sure what other mods I could think of to improve arm movement

Also fun before I even started there was a huge crack in the ab. I backed with scrap abs and filled with bondo and sanded smooth. I'm a bit concerned about this in the long term but luckily using over the counter paint should mean it will be a simple fix. (sand, paint, clear, wet sand) Would be more heartbreaking if automotive paints were used.

Overall I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed working with montana brand paints. I had worked with them on my shoretrooper and now this kit and it was a great process. As I have said before just use the Montana primer before anything else and let that cure well than make sure you wet sand the primer smooth with 2k to 3k. Small painting tip though have a clean towel with you when painting and wipe your nozzle clean after each stop to prevent runs. And always check on the weather. I got this done by having my parts and paint stored indoors before I started and curing indoors. The weather was usually right around 55 F each day but that's really the lowest temp you can pull off.

If there is anything I can do to help or provide feedback feel free to ask. Would love to see more First Order troopers this year!

Good information here thanks for sharing.