March 2018 Request for CRL Updates thread

12 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

We really can't do that.  We can describe it in words, and if you want a photo we need to have it correctly photoshopped and then i can add it in.  So...both?  Either way I must have the right text, and then just shoot me the image.

Unless anyone objects -

L2 The rivets used shall be single cap, double cap or split rivets. No pop rivets allowed. 

L3 (Remove the rivet wordage all together)

5 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

Well, we leave this a little ambiguous on L1 as people could use Velcro. Heck, even in L3 they could use Velcro instead of glue as long as it works, right?  What I would like to change is that they don’t have to be painted white.  They can be white latex too, like Joseph makes, and be OK.

We can also say in L3 that they must be affixed without visible strapping or stitching. 

What do you think?

IMHO I say glue at L3, it's about accuracy and there's not a photo on the planet I'm aware of that shows velcroed hand guards.

• Like 1

Waist ammo belt CRL update. Currently the CRL states "The corners of the plastic ammo belt shall be trimmed at a 45 degree angle." 

I would like to see it say "The corners of the plastic ammo belt shall be trimmed at a 45 degree angle that meets the outer edge of the cloth belt."

Can't tell you how many applicant's I've had to suggest make the correction. 

gallery_12157_59_162657%20b.jpg

• Like 2

And for my 10,000 post (Andrew is going to love this one) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE :laugh1:

Shoulder Armor CRL update

Let's add a L2 section - "There should be minimal gap between the Shoulder armor and the Chest and Back plates"

Hopefully this will inspire people to reduce and help alleviate the dreaded shoulder bell gap issue. 

Shoulder%20gap.jpg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

Well, we leave this a little ambiguous on L1 as people could use Velcro. Heck, even in L3 they could use Velcro instead of glue as long as it works, right?  What I would like to change is that they don’t have to be painted white.  They can be white latex too, like Joseph makes, and be OK.

We can also say in L3 that they must be affixed without visible strapping or stitching. 

What do you think?

Works for me!

34 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

They can be white latex too, like Joseph makes.

Mine are silicone, and can't (or will ever need to) be painted.  I used to make them in white latex, but it does tend to turn yellow when exposed to extended sunlight, which is why I changed materials.  I can start doing the latex ones and paint them, if needed.

I think many people prefer the silicone, as it has a shiny bright white finish which matches ABS.

Should any language be added regarding non-symmetry of shoulder bells/biceps? I feel at the least, specifying bump=left for biceps may help new recruits, seen a couple TKs make it to our GML with the biceps reversed.

Just now, justjoseph63 said:

Mine are silicone, and can't (or will ever need to) be painted.  I used to make them in white latex, but it does tend to turn yellow when exposed to extended sunlight, which is why I changed materials.  I can start doing the latex ones and paint them, if needed.

I think many people prefer the silicone, as it has a shiny bright white finish which matches ABS.

I prefer silicone, I'm all for idealized screen accuracy. If Lucas had access to white Chelsea boots and silicone hand plates he'd have likely gone with those.

• Like 1

I think Silicone or Latex hand guards are perfectly acceptable (sorry for missing to comment on this Joseph).

"non-symmetry of shoulder bells/biceps" kinda falls under the 22mm kidney notch theory, if it has it it's required to be there and installed correctly, if not it doesn't.

5 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

I think Silicone or Latex hand guards are perfectly acceptable (sorry for missing to comment on this Joseph).

"non-symmetry of shoulder bells/biceps" kinda falls under the 22mm kidney notch theory, if it has it it's required to be there and installed correctly, if not it doesn't.

Odd fact:  I asked Brian (Muir) a few years ago what the deal was with the "thumbprints" on the bicep, and he said that he did not design them that way, it was just a fluke in the vacu-forming process.

1 minute ago, justjoseph63 said:

Odd fact:  I asked Brian (Muir) a few years ago what the deal was with the "thumbprints" on the bicep, and he said that he did not design them that way, it was just a fluke in the vacu-forming process.

:laugh1: awesome 

And for my 10,000 post (Andrew is going to love this one) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE :laugh1:

Let's add a L2 section - "There should be minimal gap between the Shoulder armor and the Chest and Back plates"

Hopefully this will inspire people to reduce and help alleviate the dreaded shoulder bell gap issue. 

Shoulder%20gap.jpg

What about the broader shouldered people would they be required to shim the bells now? And what would minimum be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody hell you guys, just caught up.

On the Hand guards, Centurion is our most accurate level, so lets not dull it down. If you want it, you will do what it takes. Glued as per the movie is my stance.

Rivets for the knee ammo pack: cap rivets single or double and split rivets, as long as they look correct on the outside, but my preference will be the Cap. Both Joseph and Trooper bay sells them, so not hard to get but i dont want to see pop rivets with the hole filed in under any circumstance.

Tony's comment on the shoulder bells lol, this is my pet hate and we really need to add it to the CRL. 

2 hours ago, ukswrath said:

• Like 1

I agree on the shoulder bell gap, if we are quantifying DO asks then what about the belt/ab button height? Something like:

• The top of the belt should sit just below the bottom button of the central abdomen button panel

?

I'd say make it L2 as really how hard is it to make the belt sit higher/lower if you are building your kit... but of course it is up to you guys if it should be L3.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank75139 said:

What about the broader shouldered people would they be required to shim the bells now? And what would minimum be?

We won't be requiring anyone to shim bells, the keyword here is "Minimal" ;). What may be minimal for you may not be for the next guy. We'll address it on a app by app basis. Andrew and I know what to look for and recommend. What we have now is a total nightmare. If I had to guess I'd say 85% of the bells we look at can be easily adjusted, and most applicants do. Why not have them in the correct position before we have to mention it?  :jc_doublethumbup:

2 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

I agree on the shoulder bell gap, if we are quantifying DO asks then what about the belt/ab button height? Something like:

• The top of the belt should sit just below the bottom button of the central abdomen button panel

?

I'd say make it L2 as really how hard is it to make the belt sit higher/lower if you are building your kit... but of course it is up to you guys if it should be L3.

This is another good call, thanks Brien. To be crystal clear so there's no mistake as to which belt we're referring to I was state ...

L3 - "The top of the ammo belt should sit at or just below the bottom of the central and vertical abdomen button panels"

9b6f426d-8e74-4eb7-9849-19b5cc84fe1c.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

We won't be requiring anyone to shim bells, the keyword here is "Minimal" ;). What may be minimal for you may not be for the next guy. We'll address it on a app by app basis. Andrew and I know what to look for and recommend. What we have now is a total nightmare. If I had to guess I'd say 85% of the bells we look at can be easily adjusted, and most applicants do. Why not have them in the correct position before we have to mention it?  :jc_doublethumbup:

Yes  Yes  yes!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

?

Edited 1 minute ago by Harbinger

You have a valid point sir. I know Tony really likes to see the belt sit right in the sweet spot  :P  It really comes under the dress standard that we like to see, and yes this one  comes up 50 + % of the time.

We won't be requiring anyone to shim bells, the keyword here is "Minimal" . What may be minimal for you may not be for the next guy. We'll address it on a app by app basis. Andrew and I know what to look for and recommend. What we have now is a total nightmare. If I had to guess I'd say 85% of the bells we look at can be easily adjusted, and most applicants do. Why not have them in the correct position before we have to mention it?  :jc_doublethumbup:

Gotcha ya, gotta look out for the big guys.

Yep, just do us a favor, don't buy RS if you weigh 275lbs. RT-Mod has your name all over it 

I went with AM and it worked perfect at 260, even better now at 245. I just know I’ve always had a broad chest and shoulders. Some shirts don’t fit well cause of it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Caligari said:

Looks like there might be a typo with the space pack?  I just see  " Template:CRL-tk-anh-spacepack "

Fixed.

5 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Unless anyone objects -

L2 The rivets used shall be single cap, double cap or split rivets. No pop rivets allowed. 

L3 (Remove the rivet wordage all together)

Fixed.

Excellent choice :jc_doublethumbup: forgot to mention them as well. Looking forward to your build or do you already have one?

All done, you were very helpful, and you even congratulated me like 5 days ago... somehow I don’t feel as important as I was then.