March 2018 Request for CRL Updates thread

Really starts to knock some armor out of the running for L3, ATA has short shoulder bridges, they already are place on armor with 2 and 1/2 bumps at the front when ideally they should be 4 and 1/2, take off the large bump on the back then they will be too short.

Not sure about other armor makers.

I bring this up as a proud owner of an AP suit, which has the large tab. I would happily snip off the large bump for EIB or centurion.

We shouldn't be basing this off what armor makers do, we should base it off what is seen on screen. As has been mentioned, if larger troopers need longer bridges, more small bumps could be added instead. A more accurate CRL will help armor makers adapt to be more accurate as well.

I think it's worth noting that this would be a relatively easy upgrade for anyone needing to replace their bridges when applying for level 3, assuming they use E6000 like the majority of us do. Simply rip off the old ones and slap on the new.

Back to the OTTK,

Hand Guards L3, so we're not going to require gluing the guards to the gloves? What if someone applies with them velcroed?

Shoulder Armor L3, I thought we agreed add the following "There should be minimal gap between Shoulder Armor and Chest & Back plates"

E-11 Blaster L3, can we also add Rubies blaster to the "not accepted" list? We're seen a couple people try to convert them for the higher levels. 

Rogue One

Remove all references to AM armor, still needed? (mentioned in Chest & Back armor sections) 

Forearms L1, "Closed in the back, may be secured with velcro". NOTE: Jim's armor in the CRL photo has velcro

Thigh Armor L1, "Closed in the back, may be secured with velcro" 

L3, did we decide to not go with the connecting material (suspension) & buckles, or is this still up for discussion? 

7 hours ago, Neb Sgird said:

I bring this up as a proud owner of an AP suit, which has the large tab. I would happily snip off the large bump for EIB or centurion.

We shouldn't be basing this off what armor makers do, we should base it off what is seen on screen. As has been mentioned, if larger troopers need longer bridges, more small bumps could be added instead. A more accurate CRL will help armor makers adapt to be more accurate as well.

I think it's worth noting that this would be a relatively easy upgrade for anyone needing to replace their bridges when applying for level 3, assuming they use E6000 like the majority of us do. Simply rip off the old ones and slap on the new.

Though I totally agree with you this technically falls under the same issue as the kidney notch. After heavy discussion and debate it was decided to NOT impose the change on the buyer. We can encourage the suppliers to update their specs and process but until everyone is up to speed it remains an either/or area. There are enough facts available for suppliers to know what's canon or not however, as Glen mentioned mandating it would prevent many builders from reaching the higher levels of accuracy. If you want to put some wordage together we can discuss it further.

I mean, if we wanted to be strict on it, it would not only be no large tab but also a medium tab, smaller than the front tab but larger than the other tabs, would have to be present, no?

There are those that would suggest every aspect of the armor should be canon. That's not what the FISD is about thank goodness. Yes we want troopers to look as accurate as possible however, making it realistic to do so is just as important ;).   

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:49 AM, ukswrath said:

Back to the OTTK,

Hand Guards L3, so we're not going to require gluing the guards to the gloves? What if someone applies with them velcroed?

Shoulder Armor L3, I thought we agreed add the following "There should be minimal gap between Shoulder Armor and Chest & Back plates"

E-11 Blaster L3, can we also add Rubies blaster to the "not accepted" list? We're seen a couple people try to convert them for the higher levels. 

1. No, how could you tell?  

2. Sorry - fixed.

3. Fixed.

23 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Rogue One

Remove all references to AM armor, still needed? (mentioned in Chest & Back armor sections) 

Forearms L1, "Closed in the back, may be secured with velcro". NOTE: Jim's armor in the CRL photo has velcro

Thigh Armor L1, "Closed in the back, may be secured with velcro" 

L3, did we decide to not go with the connecting material (suspension) & buckles, or is this still up for discussion? 

1. Fixed - we can adjust if anyone tries to get in with modified AM armor.

2. Not sure this is worth mentioning?  You can do an OT TK using Velcro in the backs too.

3. We did, but I need the exact text you want used.  This is the same deal with the baton.  Please propose exact text.

20 hours ago, Neb Sgird said:

@Daetrin Um I was just looking at the ANH Hero CRL and the shoulder armor section is completely missing...

Thanks - not sure how that happened.  Fixed.

All changes updated on first post.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:03 AM, Neb Sgird said:

We shouldn't be basing this off what armor makers do, we should base it off what is seen on screen. 

Correct.  If you've been watching the program from the start, those L3/L2 requirements actually do get the makers to change their kits.  FX and RT changed their kits to make them easier to go Expert Infantry out of the box, e.g. replacing large black ab plate buttons, splitting the butt/back plate, offering raised bumps on the ears, etc.

That is part of the advantage of an L3 program - armor vendors can see changes that aren't required but optional, and they can take that feedback and improve their kits.  In the meantime, regular members can get in with as-is kits.

The 501st base requirements today exceed the EI requirements when I get in, and in fact many of the original L3 requirements are now L2 or even L1 as makers have tweaked their molds over the years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daetrin said:

1. Fixed - we can adjust if anyone tries to get in with modified AM armor.

2. Not sure this is worth mentioning?  You can do an OT TK using Velcro in the backs too.

3. We did, but I need the exact text you want used.  This is the same deal with the baton.  Please propose exact text.

1. Cool thanks

2/3. R1 TK vecroed forearms and thighs are canon. I figured if we're going to add it to the thinghs let's do forearms also. Do we want it to be an "with or without ok" or 'must have" for L3?

It would start as a must have for L3 if it's film canon.  We should let the PI garrison know, so they can advise appropriately.

12 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

It would start as a must have for L3 if it's film canon.  We should let the PI garrison know, so they can advise appropriately.

Should I post some photos here?

9 hours ago, ukswrath said:

1. Cool thanks

2/3. R1 TK vecroed forearms and thighs are canon. I figured if we're going to add it to the thinghs let's do forearms also. Do we want it to be an "with or without ok" or 'must have" for L3?

Fixed, as L3 required.

1 hour ago, Daetrin said:

Fixed, as L3 required.

Ok we need to add the biceps also. Here's a shot where you can see the Bicep and Thigh separation.

thigh.JPG.922a3fadb6f7c3eaa803a850f927c88d.JPG

Here's a forearm shot

5abda6fc4b176_forearm5.JPG.c976be20ee7f22e6d96239c4832ac670.JPG

Was looking at the ESB CRL and found that the silk/satin glove is missing in "gloves" and a follow up question would be: should L2 only allow for silk/satin gloves or should that be a new L3?

Hand Plates

• These shall be clam shell, or snowtrooper-style hand plates and not the trapezoidal design seen in A New Hope. The hand plates shall be mounted securely over the back of the glove.
OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • If rubber gloves are worn the hand plates are affixed via an elastic strap over the palm.
  • If silk or satin gloves are worn, the hand plates have the correct visible stitching pattern using black cotton, with a five point/star pattern, equally spread out with 2 on each side and 1 in the middle front, and needs to be double stitched at each point.
  • Gloves
    • Black in color, made of either rubber, nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured.
    OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
    • Gloves shall be rubber or rubber-like chemical gloves, in black.

Is there any reason for the ESB gloves to be L3 when the hand plates are L2?  BTW, I updated the gloves to allow for silk gloves for ESB.

Here´s how I figured: In ESB the gloves were satin or silk (not to sure which) with the handguards sewn to them? Then I figured from reading the existing CRL that having the silk/satin gloves with handguards sewn on could fit a L3 and L2 with rubber or silk/satin with the handguards fixed with elastic and the basic "any" glove (rubber/nomex etc with hanguards securely mounted with means velcro/glue/elastic/sewn or any other method that keeps it secure on the glove.

This was just what came to mind when I read it. 

Or: no L3 is needed and just ad (as you have) silk/satin to gloves L2.

No worries - I see where you are going.  I put the silk/satin in L2 for consistency, since that is how it's called out in the hand plates.  Could it move from L2 to L3?  Yup, I'd have no issues with this to relax it if the DO's agree too.

7 hours ago, Daetrin said:

No worries - I see where you are going.  I put the silk/satin in L2 for consistency, since that is how it's called out in the hand plates.  Could it move from L2 to L3?  Yup, I'd have no issues with this to relax it if the DO's agree too.

I'm good with it as a lvl 3, I think anyone building to Centurion will do it at lvl 2 anyway.