March 2018 Request for CRL Updates thread

2 minutes ago, Ericnathan811 said:

Sorry to interrupt, but is there a reason the ROTJ TK CRl is missing the images and description for the helmet? Are there being changes made or something?  http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_rotj

Typo on my part - fixed!

30 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

Hey DOs - this question came in on Facebook.  Any thoughts on how to best reply/re-word and clarify?  @justjoseph63, @Sly11, @ukswrath

Re #6, thigh rivets refers to the rivets used to attach the ammo pack to the bottom of the right thigh, right? Is there a photo? And does this mean the Anovos split rivets no longer qualify for L3?

Well double cap rivets were used on canon armor. The CRL policy has always been "What can be seen from the outside". Single cap, double cap, split, etc. The head on the outside is what's seen.   

EDIT: Where is this question posted?

Question was on Facebook in the Stormtrooper Playground.  What I was hoping to get was a:

1. Yes/No to their questions

2. What the CRL text should be to remove the ambiguity

1 hour ago, Daetrin said:

Question was on Facebook in the Stormtrooper Playground.  What I was hoping to get was a:

1. Yes/No to their questions

2. What the CRL text should be to remove the ambiguity

Ok I'll check it later when I've got a chance and Andrew can answer this too if he's feeling up to it. 

Up until now, the split rivets have been acceptable at level 3.  The single cap rivets are screen accurate, but to be honest you really can't tell the difference unless you look inside, (and who does that)?

I think the main reason the split rivets are acceptable is that in order to use the single caps you have to buy a whole bag, and what are you gonna' do with 48 extras? lol

This is why I sell them in required quantities at my cost for those who want to go canon and save a few bucks.

IMHO the split rivets should be acceptable at all levels.  I mean, we allow nylon strapping instead of brackets, so why make it more difficult for someone to reach Centurion?  

4 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Well double cap rivets were used on canon armor.

I thought it was single cap rivets on the canon armor!  I used to supply the double caps, but was informed in no uncertain terms that they were in fact singles, which is why I changed.  I am SOOO confused!  (But then again, I pretty much terminally bewildered), lol. 

Just now, justjoseph63 said:

I thought it was single cap rivets on the canon armor!  I used to supply the double caps, but was informed in no uncertain terms that they were in fact singles, which is why I changed.  I am SOOO confused!  (But then again, I pretty much terminally bewildered), lol. 

RS suit photos, let it do the talking.

gallery_12157_59_27536.jpg

At one time did the Stunt and Hero CRLs state in the hand plates section that at basic the hand guards can be held on by and elastic strap around the glove, or has it always stated directly mounted to the glove?

If directly mounted I'm assuming velcro is excepted at L1 and L2 but Glue is required for L3. If this is correct it should also be stated on the CRL so people are not confused. 

3 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

At one time did the Stunt and Hero CRLs state in the hand plates section that at basic the hand guards can be held on by and elastic strap around the glove, or has it always stated directly mounted to the glove?

If directly mounted I'm assuming velcro is excepted at L1 and L2 but Glue is required for L3. If this is correct it should also be stated on the CRL so people are not confused. 

Doh!  That's me trying to combine things in to a template.  I'll update this tonight along with the rivet language change once you guys figure out what you want it to say. :)

11 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

RS suit photos, let it do the talking.

That photo is going in my library... THANKS!

6 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

If I may offer an opinion, I would permit elastic straps to hold hand guards on for level 3.  Here is my reasoning:

If someone spends the extra money to order flexible hand guards and glues them onto the rubber gloves just to reach Centurion, that's great!  But as we all know, most Troopers (myself included) end up going with Nomex gloves for comfort.  Then, they feel forced to buy another set of guards for the Nomex ones, and relegate the rubber ones to the bottom of the armor bin.  Yes, I sell the guards, but if I can save someone the cost of buying a second set that is fine and dandy with me.

Also, the part about "painted white" no longer seems to be the case.  Many Centurions have used my solid white silicone guards to reach level 3.  (Silicone can not be painted).

How about:  Hand guards shall be of the flexible type, (latex or latex like), solid or painted white, and attached to the rubber gloves via glue or black elastic bands.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

If I may offer an opinion, I would permit elastic straps to hold hand guards on for level 3.  Here is my reasoning:

If someone spends the extra money to order flexible hand guards and glues them onto the rubber gloves just to reach Centurion, that's great!  But as we all know, most Troopers (myself included) end up going with Nomex gloves for comfort.  Then, they feel forced to buy another set of guards for the Nomex ones, and relegate the rubber ones to the bottom of the armor bin.  Yes, I sell the guards, but if I can save someone the cost of buying a second set that is fine and dandy with me.

Also, the part about "painted white" no longer seems to be the case.  Many Centurions have used my solid white silicone guards to reach level 3.  (Silicone can not be painted).

How about:  Hand guards shall be of the flexible type, (latex or latex like), solid or painted white, and attached to the rubber gloves via glue or black elastic bands.

ESB and ROTJ are the only hand guard with permissible elastic straps at L2. Stunt and hero are glued

Hand Plates
For 501st approval:
  • These shall be clam shell, or snowtrooper-style hand plates and not the trapezoidal design seen in A New Hope. The hand plates shall be mounted securely over the back of the glove.

For level two certification (if applicable):
  • If rubber gloves are worn the hand plates are affixed via an elastic strap over the palm.

Just now, ukswrath said:

ESB and ROTJ are the only hand guard with permissible elastic straps at L3. Stunt and hero are glued

Gotcha, and thanks!!

14 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

I would say leave it as-is... you can see the elastic, and L2/3 are about what you can see, so...

We're referring to the Stunt and Hero CRLs which do not specify how they are to be attached. It says "mounted securely" how?

People are asking

Hand Plates
For 501st approval:
  • Roughly pentagonal in shape, the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the glove. As an alternative to plastic, these may be made out of latex or latex-like material. 

For level two certification (if applicable):
For level three certification (if applicable):
  • Hand guards shall be latex or latex-like, painted white, affixed to rubber gloves in lieu of plastic hand guards.

12 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Paul, regarding the thigh ammo pack cap rivet question. Do we want to post a gallery photo or something modern?

We really can't do that.  We can describe it in words, and if you want a photo we need to have it correctly photoshopped and then i can add it in.  So...both?  Either way I must have the right text, and then just shoot me the image.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukswrath said:

Well, we leave this a little ambiguous on L1 as people could use Velcro. Heck, even in L3 they could use Velcro instead of glue as long as it works, right?  What I would like to change is that they don’t have to be painted white.  They can be white latex too, like Joseph makes, and be OK.

We can also say in L3 that they must be affixed without visible strapping or stitching. 

What do you think?