March 2018 Request for CRL Updates thread

1 hour ago, Daetrin said:

FYI, the LMO has approved adding weathering for the following CRLs

1. TFA

2. ROTJ

Do we need to add it as well to the TLJ? I'll try to re-watch the movie this weekend to see how prominent they may be.

I have a question, so unless a specific character is always dirty like the HWT, TD or R1TK are we adding weathering to give people options with their armor? We all know the TD is a dirty TK except for specific armor components which sets it apart. Why are we adding weathering to armor that would naturally get dirty over the course of a day but most likely be cleaned up after use, again options? 

45 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

I have a question, so unless a specific character is always dirty like the HWT, TD or R1TK are we adding weathering to give people options with their armor? We all know the TD is a dirty TK except for specific armor components which sets it apart. Why are we adding weathering to armor that would naturally get dirty over the course of a day but most likely be cleaned up after use, again options? 

Yes, that is the ask.  Someone wants to recreate that dirty look. The alternative would be to toss it over to MEPD and keep ours 100% clean.

11 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

Yes, that is the ask.  Someone wants to recreate that dirty look. The alternative would be to toss it over to MEPD and keep ours 100% clean.

Copy

38 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

Do you have a thought one way or another?

People can do whatever they want with their armor, it's their armor. When applying for any level keep it clean. Once we add weathering to the CRL then the MEPD may want it. 

2 hours ago, ukswrath said:

People can do whatever they want with their armor, it's their armor. When applying for any level keep it clean. Once we add weathering to the CRL then the MEPD may want it. 

My guess is MEPD will....not.  Unless, those dirty FOTKs *want* a different CRL and have it all on MEPD.  And, the LMOs approve a CRL that is identical to ours.  But with dirt.

• Like 1

I for one vote for dirty TK option. Not all TK's are Death Star pristine. I have been receiving a lot of comments about how the dirty TK I have looks more realistic in comparison to the clean OTTK's next to me in the pictures we get from troops. 

Edited by Parquette

41 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

My guess is MEPD will....not.  Unless, those dirty FOTKs *want* a different CRL and have it all on MEPD.  And, the LMOs approve a CRL that is identical to ours.  But with dirt.

If we allow weathering how would you word it? 

I think if the CRL allows weathering in addition to specific language, as Tony points out, photo reference is a must. Otherwise you are bound to get people who go too far and run into approval issues.

• Like 1

My initial thought is to simply allow weathering as a note on each item. This is what BSN does for the biker scout, e.g.

"Gloss white, semi-gloss, or lightly weathered. "

• Like 3

My 2 cents worth

I am of the opinion, they can do what they like with their armour after they are approved at EI or Centurion what ever level they want to aim for.

This is unless we create a CRL specifically for a dirty FO TK as I am not into doing all the work simply to hand something off to the MEPD. If they havnt thought about it and are not working on it, then it should be ours. :D

• Like 2

The FOTK's in TLJ have weathering through and after a fire fight and not a specific other type of model, they could no doubt be cleaned up if and when they return to barracks but while they are in that situation they have weathering.

We all know that a painted FOTK can get damaged the more it is trooped with, unlike an OTTK which most of the time can be polished out. Someone who may have been approved in an FOTK and have trooped extensively and be weathered over time would still be able to apply for L2 & L3 if weathering is allowed, just my thoughts.

3 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

The FOTK's in TLJ have weathering through and after a fire fight and not a specific other type of model, they could no doubt be cleaned up if and when they return to barracks but while they are in that situation they have weathering.

We all know that a painted FOTK can get damaged the more it is trooped with, unlike an OTTK which most of the time can be polished out. Someone who may have been approved in an FOTK and have trooped extensively and be weathered over time would still be able to apply for L2 & L3 if weathering is allowed, just my thoughts.

We've had plenty of weathered troopers apply for both EIB and Cent, we may tell them from time to time to go get cleaned up, but never have we requested they do so or no approval. Natural weathering like dirt, scuff marks or scratches are expected. Now, if someone shows up and looks like they been in a firefight for a week straight MEPD may want them in their detachment. Be careful what we wish for is all I'm saying. 

I meant if he thought we should allow it, or hold off on it for now.  In the end I'm hoping to get some type of trade-off list like:

Reasons to do it

A

B

C

Reasons not to do it

A

B
C

Weathering is a tricky one. You just know there are plenty of folks out there will go overboard and end up making Sandies look clean! Photo refs or very specific text descriptions would be ideal.
Also..the weathering for certain troopers would need to follow a very specific technique imo. The FOs who raided the village in TFA returned to base with a very specific style of weathering which IMO would need to be emmulated by the applicant. Some of the Endor TKs were filthy too..one or two would give Sandies a run for their money. That'd be another tricky one to balance.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

My apologies Paul, haven't been on the forums as much as I like due to the company I work for being taken over, but things are starting to return to normal.

The biggest Pro is a whole lot of happy members that want the battle action look.

The biggest Con is a whole lot of members that disagree with how the weathering should look or wanting to do it a different style from another scene.

RotJ:  I think this is the easier of the 2 and Endor weathering looks pretty straight forward. Obviously we will need a section to clearly define what classifies as Endor weathering and photo examples, it's kinda why I think it needs its own CRL or at lease a mini version.

Rename the standard CRL by adding Death Star, for shiny white and have a secondary CRL adding Battle of Endor.

TFA and TLJ appear to be a different kettle of fish and will need more work to find a happy medium. As mentioned in this thread there are several styles of weathering determined by local and scene. Which ever way we go, someone is going to want to head in the other direction. I dont like gray areas, which leave to much open to interpretation so a medium will need to be found.

We dont have an inclusion in the FOTK CRL for the Bloodied hand print on Finn's helmet, yet I saw a few at Celebration last year, so members like Brandon got approved as per normal then modified his armour after the fact which brings me back to my earlier post in this thread.

The question is, do we want to have an input into how the weathering looks on a specific costume, or take the easy route and let members do what they like with their armour after they are approved.

I am in two minds.

Hi guys - thanks for your patience.  FYI that I've updated the ANH-S, ANH-H, and ESB CRLs to comply with all requests.  In addition I have taken all three plus the ROTJ and templatized the common parts.  Now, if we want to update a common part like the shins I only need to modify one template file, not touch 3 or 4 different places.  Whew! 

Unless you edit CRLs, this is not a big deal. For those of us that do, it makes maintaining them much, much simpler.

• Like 2

@Daetrin You have the same description for th stunt and hero holster rivets. Also something wonky going on with bullet point colorization (some are black, others blue/red and not matching the corresponding text).

I have a couple of notes on the TKC CRL I'd like to discuss. I just finished doing a Commander and thanks to Ripper_L I had a gallery of photos to look at. Which brings me to my first point. In some of the photos cap rivets can be seen on ab lining up with ones on the kidney. I think a look should be taken and if warrented add those to ab requirements. Another thing is the gallery has two different models. Probably pulled from two different game systems. In one the blue detail goes from backplate to belt across kidney section.copying the front. Should we add it? I'd like to do it.

Second point, I feel that the overlap requirement for Centurion should be removed. The Torso for sure is ROTJ with lip around parts but there is no clear render of overlap on limbs. If they used ANH helmet whose to say rest is all ROTJ armor? Limbs could be ANH also. Plus that makes a gray area. Some makers don't have overlap capability. So to be Centurion you have to only use two makers that I know of. That's not fair in my eyes. Especially if a new member decides on a TKC and wants to go all the way to Centurion only to find out the armor he has limits him. I know do your research. But you don't know the limbs till after you bought the kit. Again all could be avoided with removing overlap requirement. We don't have many TKC in advanced already. Lets not hold them back with a detail we can't even see.

I think that's about it..Thanks for reading

Moving along......

1 hour ago, Daetrin said:

Holster is fixed.  Which one has the strange colors?

So on further inspection it looks like the last bullet item of any L2/3 section is always black (the rest are blue/red), wiki formatting bug?

1 minute ago, Harbinger said:

So on further inspection it looks like the last bullet item of any L2/3 section is always black (the rest are blue/red), wiki formatting bug?

Yup, nothing I can do there.

Hey DOs - this question came in on Facebook.  Any thoughts on how to best reply/re-word and clarify?  @justjoseph63, @Sly11, @ukswrath

Re #6, thigh rivets refers to the rivets used to attach the ammo pack to the bottom of the right thigh, right? Is there a photo? And does this mean the Anovos split rivets no longer qualify for L3?