FISD Forum UI Refresh

Harbinger

Hey everyone, as most of you have probably noticed the boards were upgraded last year, and now some of the old assets look outdated (or outright broken). We also can't find the source files for a lot of them, so long story short, I've been tasked by Paul (Daetrin) with doing a refresh on the various icons/awards/etcetera peppering the boards. This thread is to serve as a PSA as well as for gathering feedback from the membership.

I have two goals in mind with this refresh :

1. Hi-Res assets - with the explosion of super-high PPI displays we want to future-proof by creating any new art at higher resolution (this also opens the door to potential print and other uses down the road).

2. Streamlining/Consistency - All of the art has been made over the course of several years by multiple people, so what exists right now isn't as consistent as it could be. I'll do my best to get everything to 'gel' together better.

Where possible, I will show the new images in regular and 2X (hi-res) versions.

Before I dive in, a brief detour into some of the consistency stuff, namely color... there has been an attempt to clean up the "color coding" going on with user ranks and the various awards and other art that tie into them. Here's a brief run-down of the colors I'm using and where they come from:

x3NA19t.png

(I may eventually go through the effort of converting these over to Pantone colors, but it's a lot of work so this will suffice for now.)

User Rank Images

These are the first thing I will be tackling, and the new (proposed) art addresses a few issues. The "classic" FISD logo has been replaced with a (revised) beret flash, AKA the simplified shield logo. This has the benefit of looking better at smaller resolutions as well as being more OT/FO TK agnostic (no helmet!) - a goal of the detachment this year is to make FO TK's feel more at home so I'll be doing my best to help where possible. I am also switching to the same font used in the forum header (logo) for consistency.

These are the proposed user title graphics - there is now a "Guest" title which we may or may not use, but completes the set of user groups in current use:

kqLs7v3.png  PfSNtEl.png

muCIOWX.png  moYiIwy.png

Updated Red 7/1/2021

Admin.png.abfcbf061fb862013120ef1b345cf261.png  1026254479_Adminsmall.png.bffb344042b3dd85a42ecd5fe4925b1d.png

Added 8/1/2021

Commandstaff.png.ba07a7bd08c3dfabb88f174704e2dfc4.png   1790936998_Commandstaffsmall.png.236f47010f1f3e61a78c39bc9c7c8544.png

--

dQuOUs1.png  1JrmtqL.png

Updated 9/1/2021

763506467_Detachmentstaffblue.png.6ef99e96b42e892b1fe195852281227f.png  1920756882_Detachmentstaffbluesmall.png.da668153868b3656f827d229fd29ecf9.png

1874039766_Commandstaffblue.png.b3d5d48b1675f8dcebc83a9d36e94b3e.png  677438516_Commandstaffbluesmall.png.ea4f74e6ed3c82fcd8c39f3373cf48e5.png

--

Om1RMSI.png  HnS8ftI.png

8KqSgv0.png  VdWOWS7.png

WrpTchL.png  bN9J9y7.png

mHE4OC9.png  AXYErZS.png

j8wVcCG.png  w9Jilsr.png

GyH2kJJ.png  3jq1oI1.png

Service/Achievement Ribbons (Part I)

Much like the user titles, we can't find the original files and they had to be re-drawn. The current ones are ever-so-slightly off-center, which I will be fixing: 0RzK1aD.png

First off, I'm proposing some slight color tweaks to the ribbon colors themselves in the interest of consistency:

• The Achievement Award Ribbon's center blue strip has been adjusted to match the "official" FISD blue (it also stands out better on the dark gray forum background): sxeMZ7h.png

• The Service Award Ribbon's center lilac strip has been changed to the staff "burple", this way both Admins (Red) and Staff ("Burple") are represented: NeGde0V.png

The ribbons have been redrawn at high res, and the stars have been redone to match the new user titles:

OSXmTci.png  dbXP7pC.png

F3PkcIR.png  siGavwb.png

Next up will be tackling the other two ribbons (Master Armorer and Attaché Achievement)... stay tuned. :smiley-sw013:

Detachstaff small.png

Detachstaff.png

• Like 8

Since a lot of the forum skin has rounded corners, I made a couple options for rounded (and more rounded) corners, thoughts?

A.) Square:

WrpTchL.png  bN9J9y7.png

F3PkcIR.png  siGavwb.png

B.) Slightly Round:

1csrAbA.png  9LpGn7i.png

oNv2z7l.png  jvyWa6w.png

C.) Very Round:

bYzWHYh.png  Nwvv6iN.png

DLMjlXX.png  8OkNLk9.png

• Like 2

Wow, I'm blown away.  This is one of the best posts I've read in a long time, and your professionalism really shows.  I'm surprised no one else has chimed in, but for myself I can't find anything you've suggested that I disagree with, or can think of a way to improve.

The ribbons in theory should be square, but I think the slightly round looks better on a computer screen and adds depth.

• Like 1

I actually prefer the square, with slightly rounded a close 2nd.  Very round looks bad.  Other comments: Admin might be a tad dark but I don't know how much more you can bring it up with out getting to close to chief admin.  Also that shield with helmet is the old one, there is a newer version available.

Other than that top work, well done sir.

13 hours ago, Harbinger said:

B.) Slightly Round:

1csrAbA.png  9LpGn7i.png

oNv2z7l.png  jvyWa6w.png

Superb work, Brien!! Of the options you've provided, I'd favour option B, especially when viewed in the smaller size (pictured right). 

This is not a criticism, but when blown up to the larger size, for some reason I'm getting a slight hint of 80's arcade games (for the life of me I cannot pinpoint why). Possibly the heavy set outer glow on the stars and lettering? A slight cartoon-ish feel. 

Out of interest, have you experimented with any other fonts? This one is quite soft, with rounded edges. Perhaps one with slightly harder edges. 

Again, what you have done is SUPERB, so keep up the great work!! :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

I actually prefer the square, with slightly rounded a close 2nd.  Very round looks bad.  Other comments: Admin might be a tad dark but I don't know how much more you can bring it up with out getting to close to chief admin.  Also that shield with helmet is the old one, there is a newer version available.

Other than that top work, well done sir.

Logo was just to illustrate color reference anyway.

Regarding colors... I kept what was there. If you wanted to start changing things I'd almost say make Chief Admin orange, then Admins can be a brighter red... but then I'd also want to make Attaché teal so you'd get a rainbow effect, e.g.:

C. Admin

Admins

Staff

IPM

Attachés

TK/501st

Dan, I like the current font because A.) it matches what we already have, logo-wise and B.) it tolerates heavy condensation, which is great for these long-winded user ranks in such small spaces. :P

As for the cartoony feel, to each their own I guess? I wasn't aiming for photo-realistic to begin with.

• Like 1

Attaché Achievement Award, Part I

Before I get too far down the rabbit hole and spend a few hours in Illustrator redrawing this, I'd like to propose modifying the "troopers helping troopers" image that is used for the AAW as well as other places around the detachment (merch, etcetera). My proposed update:

Jb1K8kf.png

Here is the original for comparison:

HK9JOX4.png

The main change is making one of the hands a First Order Stormtrooper, one of the detachments goals this year was to be more inclusive of FO TK's so I thought it may be a nice touch... I've also added some shading and detail, and tweaked the finger positions to be more realistic. Please keep in mind that this would look cleaner once redrawn, this is just a quick sketch.

Edited by Harbinger

I wasn't aware the attaché award needed an update as it isn't that old and I do have a larger file for that but it didn't fall under 'do you have a copy of recent designs'

I prefer the current version, it is clear and easy to use on any merch (and no that's not because I made it)

We also have this on merch which has only recently been produced.

Also wouldn't hurt to run this by Joseph as he runs the attaché program.

That's why this thread is out the open, so everyone (staff included!) can comment.

I don't plan on messing with the designs but I'd still like to redraw the Armorer/Attache ribbons so they'll all match (and the EI/Centurion badges), that was part of the plan. Sorry if my PM wasn't clear enough. I definitely has suggestions which I'll mention here when I get around to that though.

Edited by Harbinger

Quick detour to the EIB/Centurion Awards...

Expert Infantry Badge

So this one really doesn’t need much, if anything... so what follows is what I’d deem nice-to-haves/suggestions.

The changes I'm proposing are:

1.) Lighten the "EXPERT INFANTRY" text so you can read it on the dark gray forum background. At a minimum I would say this is a must.

2.) Tweak the styling to match the new ribbons (shadows, rounded corners by popular demand).

3.) Ditch the cogs on either side of the "EXPERT INFANTRY" text. #1, as part of ongoing FOTK inclusion, and #2 because they are indistinguishable at that size. Also allows more room for text (legibility wins!).

4.) Switch the font to the one used in official FISD merchandise (most notable use is on challenge coins), it's a move towards better brand cohesion AND it's more legible scaled down (the 'R' and 0-9 most notably).

5.) Move the stars inside the EI badge instead of above it. Takes up less space (the current solution leaves a huge gap between awards), and makes it clear the stars are for the EI award and not whatever award sits above it. Also looks cooler (my opinion of course!).

Proposed NEW EIB art:

mAnKQGu.png  HKgXgKF.png

ON48CZN.png  mq5qG7V.png

yBWmo6M.png  UEx0kyH.png

Centurion would follow suit with similar changes (in progress).

Edited by Harbinger
Grammar
  • Like 1

Looks very plain, to aspire some you need to dangle pretty things in front of them and awards should be full of bling.

I prefer stars on top, as they are more recognisable, distinct and iinstanly seenon the dark background, not mergerd inside.

No reason why it cant have a imp cog and fo cog next to the writing.

Border does not look like a gold, too yellow.

• Like 1

Nice concept!  I'd like to keep the stars on the top if I could, but otherwise the update is awesome.  One cog is nice if it can be fit in?

• Like 1

It will fit, my concern is on how recognizable it will be at that size is all. One cog may work, I’ll give it my best.

Gold border is too yellow, I agree. Will fix. Will move stars as well. :)

Edited by Harbinger

Attaché Achievement Award, Part II

Not much that needed updating, really just for consistency. I'm keeping the old/current handshake as it looks better scaled down, if a decision gets made on the proposed new one I can make a cleaned-up one and swap it out, or use it for some future merchandise idea... doesn't really matter to me.

What I did do: Changed the yellow/blue to FISD Yellow/Blue (like the other awards), removed the white background behind the text for readability/consistency with other awards, changed the font to match, and made the text/border Attaché Olive Green (color coding!).

Proposed new version (attempt #1):

c5TNBR8.png  eM1iVUG.png

Or without cogs (cleaner but different):

9CnPdt1.png  JKqhdsT.png

Edited by Harbinger

Prefer the darker blue, it was made like that for a reason so it stood out from the other FISD awards.

The current run off attaché patches also has the darker blue, once again this was for a reason so it did not resemble the FISD standard flash used on berets.

AttachePatch.jpg

Just like fonts, the blue does not need to be the same for everything.

Also used on the troopers helping troopers decal

G6LNIMl.png

• Like 1

Well I can only reiterate it was made that way to stand out from the normal FISD colours, hence the darker blue.

091b2f12d740d24c7a01b23388892a14fdb37f44

There is an oversupply of attaché merch now.

Just for the sake of transparency, I'd commented on the post my thoughts earlier, you pm'd some time later and asked if I wanted the color and font changed, I gave the same comment as previously posted here but also added I wasn't bothered about the font.

I think it would be best just to use the forum in future and not private messages, I think Paul prefers it that way anyway.

Also if you use an @someonesforumname into a post it won't always get seen, probably better to use the quote function then that person will get a notification.

Anyway gotta dash, time to troop.

giphy.gif

Hi all,

Just some constructive feedback here (again, not meant in a derogatory way). 

Whilst chatting with my wife about the FISD updates, I showed her these newly proposed designs and her first thought was that they were nice, reminiscent of “Mario Kart”. I am not suggesting that anything should change as a result of this comment - it is just meant as valid feedback from another pair of eyes. 

To me, personally, the existing designs look a little more military. These new designs are lovely in a more fun way. 

As Brein said, to each their own. 

10 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

AttachePatch.jpg

Also, I’m partial to the dark blue. As stated by Glen, this adds a special quality to it. Almost a royal blue, adding to the quality feel. 

Out of interest, are we planning on choosing from a selection of designs over time or is this the design we’re following? I only ask as, if this is the chosen design then I’ll roll with it. :salute:

Best wishes,

Dan

Edited by CableGuy
  • Like 1