Wal-Mart TK Boots?

Hello all! I recently ordered my TK armor from AP and am now in the process of working out all the other details and nuances that will go into this build. While researching boots I came across this option that, surprisingly enough, is sold via Wal-Mart. It looks like the manufacturer is Pleaser Shoes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TROOPER-12-1-Flat-Inch-Heel-Pointed-Toe-Men-s-Boot/115629685?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=5780&adid=22222222228045512533&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=95409564170&wl4=pla-217979465810&wl5=9010522&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=114221082&wl11=online&wl12=115629685&wl13=&veh=sem

• 1'' Flat heel
  • Pointed toe
  • Pull-on Chelsea boot
  • Available in Sizes: Small (size 8-9), Medium (size 10-11), Large (size 12-13) and XL (size 14)
  • Item Includes: Pair of Boots
  • Material: Polyurethane
  • Item Dimensions: 1" Heel
  • Care Instructions: Spot Clean

Does anyone have any idea if these would work for 501st approval? I am hoping to go for centurion level as I have heard doing so from the outset of your build is not too much extra work. Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Thanks.

• Like 1

501st approval is probably ok. But that top seam is a definite disqualifier for EI or Centurion.

Interesting that they named the boot "TROOPER-12". It's as if they were targeting a very specific audience. ;)

47 minutes ago, willeywonka said:

Gotcha. Then I'll consider them a no-go. And yeah, I thought the same thing haha. What boots would you recommend for Centurion?

Classic 421s from imperial boots will take you to Centurion:

http://www.imperialboots.com/product/421/

They sell in waves, so they are close until sometime in March.

I have 2 pairs of Imperial boots (1 dirty for HWT 1 clean for regular TK) and I gotta say that I couldn't be happier with them.  Shipping was actually quite fast (2 weeks) and the customer service was great.  One thing I would recommend, though, is that you order one size up from what you normally wear as they tend to run a bit small.

As Daryl mentioned, they are close until March but you should be able to get in touch with them beforehand.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tkrestonva said:

501st approval is probably ok. But that top seam is a definite disqualifier for EI or Centurion.

Interesting that they named the boot "TROOPER-12". It's as if they were targeting a very specific audience. ;)

I didn't see a seam on the pix on there?  

1 hour ago, Daetrin said:

I didn't see a seam on the pix on there?  

I didn't either at first, but it is there. If you click the option to zoom in you can see it. Tricky little devils angling it just right in the picture. Pretty sneaky.

2 hours ago, dak said:

The new wave opens March 2 for Imperial Boots. Best products and service.

Thanks for this info. Turns out finding boots has become one of the more trying parts of this process haha. Glad to have a well-vetted option.

8 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

I have 2 pairs of Imperial boots (1 dirty for HWT 1 clean for regular TK) and I gotta say that I couldn't be happier with them.  Shipping was actually quite fast (2 weeks) and the customer service was great.  One thing I would recommend, though, is that you order one size up from what you normally wear as they tend to run a bit small.

As Daryl mentioned, they are close until March but you should be able to get in touch with them beforehand.

Thanks! I appreciate the heads up on sizing.

If you can get a pair in your size (ie, you don't have a popular size, or don't mind waiting a while) I also recommend TKboots.com.  They're Centurion-ready.  I have a pair and I love them; they've head up to heavy trooping (80 in two years) and are pretty comfortable.  I would still add a Dr. Scholl's type insert into any trooping boot- we do a lot of standing.  (I have inserts in all my trooping boots, for all costumes).  

• 2 weeks later...

I second @sharkbait! TKboots.com is the tops, great customer service, super awesome boot and very comfy. and as Stated Centurion-ready without a doubt. I got my boots after 3 days of payment. cant beat that!

7 hours ago, Commander Gree said:

I second @sharkbait! TKboots.com is the tops, great customer service, super awesome boot and very comfy. and as Stated Centurion-ready without a doubt. I got my boots after 3 days of payment. cant beat that!

They were actually my first choice but I received a reply from them letting me know they are going out of business.:( I went with Imperial Boots which was my second choice only bc of a potentially long shipping timeframe (20-30 business days after boots are made).

Here is a portion of their response. This was sent 2/21/18:

Due to the massive influx of low-quality plastic and vinyl boots flooding the 501st, not to mention 99% of the armor being absolutely terrible quality, tentatively, we're closing down TK Boots. We cannot compete with the low-quality boot's pricing when we're producing handmade leather boots. 

We're still producing our high-quality high gloss white ABS TK/Sandy armor kits but we're scaling back on those as well. 

6 hours ago, willeywonka said:

They were actually my first choice but I received a reply from them letting me know they are going out of business.:( I went with Imperial Boots which was my second choice only bc of a potentially long shipping timeframe (20-30 business days after boots are made).

Here is a portion of their response. This was sent 2/21/18:

Due to the massive influx of low-quality plastic and vinyl boots flooding the 501st, not to mention 99% of the armor being absolutely terrible quality, tentatively, we're closing down TK Boots. We cannot compete with the low-quality boot's pricing when we're producing handmade leather boots. 

We're still producing our high-quality high gloss white ABS TK/Sandy armor kits but we're scaling back on those as well. 

:( :( :( WHAT?!  NOOO!!  That is terrible news!  Thank you for sharing, however this is useful information.  This is going to leave a huge hole in the boot market, which is very unfortunate.  

24 minutes ago, sharkbait said:

:( :( :( WHAT?!  NOOO!!  That is terrible news!  Thank you for sharing, however this is useful information.  This is going to leave a huge hole in the boot market, which is very unfortunate.  

I know I was disappointed. Maybe if enough people react they can be convinced to stick around? Competition is always a good thing! The good news is Imperial Boots provides a great product as well I hear. I can’t wait to get mine!

3 hours ago, sharkbait said:

And here is the even bigger issue, TK Boots shuts down that will open the door for these Cheap boot makers to jack up their prices, without the competition of something better for my money, we wont really have a choice. I have been begging them to stay, they have a big Facebook page following, and im hoping to get their armor very soon, but its just hear breaking that people have gotten so cheap. I understand this is an extremely expensive hobby, but its just tough to see a company that, in my experience, has been hands down one of the greatest Customer service type companies to deal with. They keep constant contact and really appreciate our business. but at the end of the day, if people aren't buying, the demand isn't there and we are asking them to take food off their own table.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly can you blame the guys at TK boots ? Everyone wants cheap , you get what you pay for, keep buying crap shoes, we have a guy who caters to the cos play community will bend over backwards for anyone of his customers and yet we as a costume community continue to buy shucksty shoes ... I love my TK boots and I’m gonna buy another pair....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1