Humbrol paint issue

Upon using Humbrol paints recently Ive encountered issues, the most common seems to be grain in the paint (almost like sand) I have changed brushes and even bought new paint as well and the same issue occurs. I stir the paint alot before I use it. Anyone else encountering same issue?

Hi Chad, 

Personally, I’ve not heard of that before but, do you have any pictures of the effect? Others might recognise the issue and have a solution. 

Are you painting in extreme temperatures?

Dan :-)

I've had grainy tins before, usually when they are about a million years old.  I had to bin my first #14 which I got at a local small hobby shop as it was just no good no matter how much shaking/stirring it got.

If all cans are from the same shop try a different one. If they are the new designs maybe add a small stainless steel nut to the tin before shaking to act as an agitator.  You can buy specially made balls for this purpose but their mainly aimed at acrylics which can rust some stainless steels.

• Like 2

I do not have any pics as I have already cleaned the paint off to redo it. It literally looks like sand sprinkled in the paint. Yes I have only bought this paint from one single hobby shop, perhaps I should order all new paint online or direct from Humbrol if possible before I repaint.  

20 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hi Chad, 

Personally, I’ve not heard of that before but, do you have any pictures of the effect? Others might recognise the issue and have a solution. 

Are you painting in extreme temperatures?

Dan :-)

Nope just normal room temp inside.

I had this happen to me as well but not so badly that I needed to take corrective actions.  It was the grey for the helmet (I don't recall the number off hand).  I assumed it was because paint was drying around the edge of the tin and I was using that to wipe off excess paint from the brush.  The blue had other issues - shaking did nothing to mix it, I had to stir with a toothpick for several minutes every time I used it.  They were from a local hobby shop, and if memory serves me, I had to brush the dust off the little tins - so I assume they were fairly old.  I just assumed Humbrol paint was garbage and that was the way it was in 1976 - so my paint job is a little grainy in a few spots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wook1138 said:

I had this happen to me as well but not so badly that I needed to take corrective actions.  It was the grey for the helmet (I don't recall the number off hand).  I assumed it was because paint was drying around the edge of the tin and I was using that to wipe off excess paint from the brush.  The blue had other issues - shaking did nothing to mix it, I had to stir with a toothpick for several minutes every time I used it.  They were from a local hobby shop, and if memory serves me, I had to brush the dust off the little tins - so I assume they were fairly old.  I just assumed Humbrol paint was garbage and that was the way it was in 1976 - so my paint job is a little grainy in a few spots.

Were the film TK's painted with Humbrol?

I got 1 can from Amazon I think. Either that or Troopermaster. The rest came in bottles. I usually shake the little buggers for 60 seconds, then when I open them, I stir them with a toothpick, about 10 ccw spins then 1 cw spin, for about three cycles of that. Never had any issues.

If its old paint there isn't much you can do about it.

• Like 1