Repairing cracked shoulder straps ANOVOS

rbst

This is my ANOVOS second hand armor. I am going through it and repairing/replacing a good bit. Couple of questions. I have a cracked shoulder strap. What is the best way to repair this? Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, I am thinking of putting some white Velcro under the shoulder straps to hold them down better. Is this acceptable for EIB and centurion levels? See pics for reference. Thanks!

IMG_0177.jpg

pic.jpg

I'm certainly no expert on repairs yet, but I imagine experienced builders will eventually get here and suggest either ABS paste or super glue to close up those shoulder cover cracks. You'll then have to do some sanding and polishing to get the repair to match the original surface.

And in the second photo is the little white elastic strap/loop that is required for Centurion installed around the shoulder cover and back armor? Because that should help keep it down. Check out this thread:

ukswrath's Anovos tutorial (shoulder cover elastic retaining strap)

They look like this when installed (photo is copied from that thread link):

IMG_7445.jpg

Hope that helps,

-Dana

Edited by QuartZ
added photo for quick illustration

First time builder here, but I've had to do major shimming on my thighs and have become intimately acquainted with the art of ABS pasting.

I'd start by using pure acetone brushed on to the interior of the cracks and join the two cracked ends together.  Hold those pieces together for a few minutes until they're reasonably set.  After that point you have a few options I'd reckon.  Personally, I'd start off by slathering on ABS paste on the underneath side until the cracks have been sufficiently reinforced.  If necessary, you could also superglue small 1mm ABS strips to help stabilize the ends.

On the external side is where you'll want to be a bit more delicate on your approach. After you feel the underside has been sufficiently reinforced and repaired, from this point on it's fixing any cosmetic issues.  I use more liquidy ABS paste — about the consistent of runny ketchup or mustard, but not so runny that it drips.  Lightly fill the cracks and use pure acetone to blend in the paste with the surrounding ABS.  Use a paintbrush to carefully blend it in, being careful not to let any bristles get caught in the paste.

After you've sufficiently blended it, let it dry and then start gently going over it with sandpaper to blend and smooth it out — from grits 220 all the way up to 3000.  I personally use the following:

- for rough sanding to smooth things out: 100 to 220 to 400.

- once imperfections are smoothed out, repeating cycles of 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 (dry and wet), 3000 (dry and wet) — inspect, and if necessary lightly glaze on more ABS paste until the crack can't be seen anymore, and then repeat the sanding process.

I did this with my thermal detonator — had a crack on it and followed that process for repairing it (the crack used to be on the right side near the lower screw — now it's barely visible that there was any crack at all, just a slight raised shadow):

IMG_6480.thumb.JPG.55ca54f89fac1e6424d1c9227f5fb84d.JPG

Hi guys,

Yep, mine cracked and broke too !!, so i know the feeling.

So what i have done  was to cement a rectangular piece of abs underneath the  bridge area affected, to give it more of a rigid support and created two  thin strips of abs to use as a scaffold underneath the outer rims of the shoulder straps, to strengthen the the bent area. This hopèfully provide more strength to the area?. I also placed white tape underneath it, just is case cracks again and falls out while trooping.

fingers crossed

• 4 months later...

Shoulder bridges are a weak point in all armors, but I've noticed Anovos tends to crack and break much quicker than other armors.  They are just a known stress point, and I'm not sure there's an real getting around it.  I bought a back up set early just in case, but for now am using ABS pieces as backing for support and ABS paste to cement it in place and fill in.