My TK BUILD

TK 71627

I have heard a lot use plastic dip, personally I gave mine a wash with warm water and detergent, a slight scuff with some sandpaper then let dry and coated with satin enamel paint, worked well and has held up fine.

It is easier to paint before you trim too ;) 

• Like 1

I used the plastic dip. Worked well, smells bad while it’s drying (not after) and needs a few coats. And yes I did mine after the fact because I was unaware of it and it’s much easier to do it before trimming. I do like the Velcro idea. It seems a bit more convenient when installing electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The only downside we find with the self adhesive Velcro here is that with the warm the glue tends to leg go and leave a really sticky mess ;) 

There used to be an automotive product I used years ago and not sure if it is still around called flock, would leave a fine fur finish, just looking and seems it's still around, I may have to try something like this one day.

• Like 1

You may find those are a little hard on your head if you are trooping for a long time, I tried some high density foam and ended up transferring it for a soft foam ;) 

If it works for you then great :D 

• Like 1

The EVA is, I would guess, around 1.5mm. The tactical pads are not really putting any pressure on my head - just stopping the wobble. I have a long troop in March so I’ll report back. :duim:

• Like 1

I have heard a lot use plastic dip, personally I gave mine a wash with warm water and detergent, a slight scuff with some sandpaper then let dry and coated with satin enamel paint, worked well and has held up fine.

It is easier to paint before you trim too  

Does the smell of paint LINGER ???

I used the plastic dip. Worked well, smells bad while it’s drying (not after) and needs a few coats. And yes I did mine after the fact because I was unaware of it and it’s much easier to do it before trimming. I do like the Velcro idea. It seems a bit more convenient when installing electronics.

Do you have problems with electronics sticking to the plati dip surface ???

Do you have problems with electronics sticking to the plati dip surface ???

I do not have any issues. Good adhesive Velcro sticks well. As for the smell. It doesn’t linger. I did a coat, let it sit upside down on a chair outside for 30-45 minutes and did another coat, and did a few coats that way. Just strong when you first apply it

• Like 1

I do not have any issues. Good adhesive Velcro sticks well. As for the smell. It doesn’t linger. I did a coat, let it sit upside down on a chair outside for 30-45 minutes and did another coat, and did a few coats that way. Just strong when you first apply it

Ty, Frank for your input.

36 minutes ago, Madness990 said:

Does the smell of paint LINGER ???

Not once it's fully dried, normally a week or 2

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I sanded the inside of the bucket with 250 grain sandpaper, washed and hand dried, and covered it. It is easier to do this BEFORE CUTTING OUT teeth and eyes. I NEVER thought about painting the inside of the bucket until AFTER the fact. I decided on a BLACK SATIN ENAMAL paint because most people I spoke to have had more long term positive experiences w/ it... it was a tough choice between this and Rustoeum leak seal ... let’s see how it goes !-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Just curious, why did you decide against plastidip? If you go with enamel paint you'll be sacrificing the sound absorbing benefits of painting inside your helmet. I only really bothered plastidipping the inside of my helmet to the avoid feedback from my mic, otherwise I would have left it white.

Again, just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just curious, why did you decide against plastidip? If you go with enamel paint you'll be sacrificing the sound absorbing benefits of painting inside your helmet. I only really bothered plastidipping the inside of my helmet to the avoid feedback from my mic, otherwise I would have left it white.

Again, just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Very good question, indeed ... I am a 1st time builder and have NO intention on installing an expensive electronic mic on my at this time. I guess the best answer I can give you at this time is Painting it black is more for cosmetic appeal vs future mic interference. But now you have me wondering if I should of set up my lid up. it was a tough choice...

I stopped after 3 coats .... and minimum of 90 mins of dry time . I made sure I put them on top of lava rocks for a FASTER & SECURE dry time...( I’m jk, but one must ALWAYS remain with sense of humor while building a TK ) i will leave AS IS FOR several hours maybe overnight. I have OTHER THINGS to tend to .

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

QUESTION # 1

Why are my sides NOT LINING UP ??? (I have a TK-WTF )

I believe I have the eyes aligned properly....the right side is giving me problems, whereas the left is PERFECT (I think)

66be96824f6ecf51f963ad4d291d13ed.jpg4dd8d0d12400ba9142696968c22fc174.jpg