Copper's TM ANH Stunt Build

Copper

Got my BBB from TM and I'm diving in...slowly and apprehensively. I'll be using TM's Hero build on FB as photo references, and GodofLibra's build thread and TK1386's videos on YouTube for reference, along with lots of feedback from the FISD I hope.

First night at it tonight and I trimmed the shoulder straps and shoulder bells. A long way to go, but I'll get there. I don't think my wife knew what she signed up for when I got the blessing to order my kit.

-Copper

d1f5d1d87e1bd9a15c652242f76ce351.jpg5d38b234f047aba7fe06220bd9c6d1a6.jpge83e8ab6fd916223586fada891d820df.jpga02790648bbf4d8092da0a7d4c8af287.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nothing better than a BBB, research is the key and sounds like you are off to a great start, good luck with the build

10 minutes ago, Copper said:

Can anyone give me a breakdown of the correct widths for all the cover strips?  I've seen different numbers in different places here.  Thanks.

Arms front and back 15mm

Thighs front and back 20mm

Shins front 20mm, rear 25mm

Can anyone give me a breakdown of the correct widths for all the cover strips?  I've seen different numbers in different places here.  Thanks.

do not cut the joint strips yet, you have to measure the pieces of the armor and see how much space you need, I saw now that you are bigger than me, I used 15mm arms, 25mm legs in front and 30mm behind, but they can change according to different measures that we all have, since you are very tall I suggest you leave a lot of space in the pieces of armor, you will always have time to cut them later, after trying them on, the TM is spacious, but for those like us you have to stay at the cutting edge, there are pieces of my armor that have been assembled, cutting only the small folded edge of the vacoum form, be careful, measure three times, and cut one, if you have doubts ask, and post photos, so the question will be better understood good luck

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips. So far I've only trimmed off the vacuum form edge. I've started to fit and tape the forearms and biceps and it looks like I'll need to trim them down more, so 15mm should work for those.

Thanks for the tips. So far I've only trimmed off the vacuum form edge. I've started to fit and tape the forearms and biceps and it looks like I'll need to trim them down more, so 15mm should work for those.

remember to take the measure with the muscles contracted (bending the limbs a lot to see you have all the space you need to move well)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Made my first real cuts for sizing, other than cutting off the vacuum form edges. Biceps and forearms are ready for gluing (clamps here are just holding the strips on - they aren't glued yet). cbe4bdc602be48edabd5e1688db151f4.jpg

• Like 1

If you're using E6000 for the first time, like me, here's something I learned quickly: when you have excess E6000 squirt out of the joints, don't try to wipe it off right away.  It makes a worse mess.  Let it get tacky for a couple of hours, or even for several hours, then peel it off.  It comes off like the glue used to hold a new credit card to the paper when the bank sends it to you.

Question - I'm looking ahead to the snaps for connecting the pieces.  What thickness of ABS do people use for attaching the snaps to the inside of the armor?  I'll need to order some from somewhere.  TM sent some spare pieces with my kit, but I needed to use some for a forearm strip.  Thanks!

Definitely easier to remove glue once dry, either pulls or rubs off.

You can either use ABS plates or pieces of nylon, I've used both, ABS I've had to heat a few pieces so they conform to the armor, nylon you don't have too.

ABS plates I normally use what I have extra lying around, normally 1.5 or 2mm works for me. Just in case it's not been said I do like double snapping, occasionally you can have a snap fail and it's great to have a spare.

Looking good, keep it up.

1 minute ago, Copper said:

Two snaps on each side of a joint (4 total) on the same piece of elastic?  Can you share a photo?

Just a couple I have handy, this was my first set, on the second I had side by side on the inside of the chest/back armor.

kZQ24BQ.png

tqQC203.png

Sizing and gluing the thighs. TM kit should be a good fit for my runner thighs without too much trimming. My wife isn't happy about my commandeering the kitchen counter, but that's where the hot water is! Needed to bend the tops of the thigh backs to get them to line up.
Shopping5fd8ecbd0d2c8ac22f129b71c92a6807.jpg trip later for elastic, snaps, straps, etc.

Thanks for the feedback and tips, everyone.
Struck out on finding anything larger than a 10-pack of Tandy 24's in stores. Ended up ordering 50 on Amazon for $25. No 2" nylon strapping either, so I'm trying the double-snap method with 1" strap turned sideways and cut in 2" lengths. Hopefully it has enough surface area to stay glued to the ABS.
I used the old pliers, nail, and a candle-trick to make holes for the snap posts. First 4 sets of snaps are glued into the kidney and butt. I'll measure and cut elastic, add snaps, and see how they work tomorrow.
48affc6de18fb732ab03aaaf89ba3f50.jpg

Looking good trooper! Can we have a pic of those thighs on your legs? Sometimes the thighs need to be tapered to fit the let better ... just wondering how yours look before you get too far ahead.

Here's my left leg. (The shorts are running shorts, so they're thin and won't change the fit). My thigh is against the ABS, but not too snug. I still have to trim the top and raised joint edges so it's even. Any thoughts?
a6a2f451b2013ce9c3833b5839f7ab1c.jpg

Did you overlap them here? It looks like that may be the case, which would make them tighter. You should have a little bit of room in there. Make sure you can fit two fingers between the armour ans your leg with the undersuit (or equivalent) on.

In the photo the two raised halves of the joining strip are overlapped. I haven't trimmed them down yet, so I still have some flexibility to have a little more room. I don't want a really wife raised part behind the joint strip, so I'll have to play around with the width of the joint strip too.