Snap Plate Materials

Good day all,

I'm anxiously awaiting my BBB from AP, and like many of you during this waiting stage, I've been busy studying the forum, youtube videos, & pictures in order to visualize this project in my head (....a lot of dead photosuckit links btw).

One thing I started to get my head around was the strapping system.  I have chosen to go with snaps instead of brackets and have been researching how to build snap plates.  I've seen folks with plastic plates and/or webbing tabs glued directly to the armour.

My question is, has any of you tried materials outside of plastic and nylon?  .....say leather tabs or rubber tabs? 

I'm thinking that a rubber snap plate could provide some give so that it can sit flush to the armour, but without too much elastic stress that it would compromise the adhesion.....I'm also thinking that some good thick leather may also fit the bill.

If anyone has experience with changing things up, please let me know.  My initial search in the forum was not conclusive.

Thnx

Hi Gil,

Most people use E6000 as their glue - especially when starting out as it easier to fix if something gets glued wrong.  From what I understand, E6000 may have issues adhering to rubber. 

I have no idea about leather, but it seems like an expensive option compared to nylon.   And I have had leather peal apart on me before (cheap leather perhaps). 

The nylon worked well for me - I would use it again. 

Be sure to get high quality snaps.

I have used both nylon and abs plates, both have worked without issue. I would think using rubber you may find that over time the snap may break through with the bending of the rubber. With using elastic between the snap plates it gives you the ability to bend without stressing areas. Definitely use E6000 glue with all of your assembly, very strong but easy to remove if you want to make any modifications or changes.

If you are going to use something else as snap plate material I would definitely suggest testing first before applying to all of your armor.

I also advise using double snaps for your plates, I've had a couple fail over the years and it's great to have a spare snap there as backup.

Some excellent suggestions for you there, Gil.  I would personally stay with the nylon for attaching the snaps to the armor itself, as it can conform to the shapes with no problem, especially as Brien mentioned it is flexible (but strong).

Q mentioned the double snaps, and I swear by it.  On my first build I went with single snaps in some areas and some would pop off at inopportune times, (especially the shoulder).

Below is the system I use now.  It requires a bit more work and materials, but you can be assured that nothing will ever come off while you are on a troop!

bD0juYQ.jpg?1

• Like 1

Thanks all for the input.  It is greatly appreciated.... and thanks Joseph for that pictorial diagram.  I did manage to find that the other day in my search and I have been contemplating the double snap method as you have outlined. 

Mark at AP is extremely helpful and does advise the nylon tabs glued directly to his armor.  I will most likely go that route.  Now I have to decide whether it will be single or double snaps.  I know that double snaps will most likely eliminate any ill-timed failures, but I've also heard many troopers who have yet to see any issues with their standard single snap configuration.  I'm leaning towards the single snap configuration...... if my cod piece falls off while walking past a Slave Leia cosplayer, I'll post pics and let you say "I told you so"...LOL

I used nylon webbing, Tandy Line 10 snaps and E6000- when I do any other builds with snaps I plan to use the same method.  I also used my soldering iron with a pointed tip to make a nice clean hole to put the snap through.  Also you'll need to burn the cut edges of the nylon with either a lighter or a soldering iron to prevent fraying.  

Here's my snapping system, I probably went a little overboard, but it works well for me:

36595228600_9bc3bcafda_o.jpg

I also have a snap connection to each shoulder bell from the shoulder bridge connection, and a snap connection from the shoulder bell to bicep, and bicep to forearm.  That way I pull on my entire arm armor in on go on each side- very convenient.  

• Like 2