MRCE progress

I've been modding an MRCE the past couple of weeks, and this is where I'm at (I hvaen't taken any pics of doing the mods, since I've followed tutorial already posted here):

The original:

Bilde003.jpg

Front:

Bilde013.jpg

Profile:

Bilde011.jpg

Painted inside black:

Bilde012.jpg

Just waiting on my putty to fill the gaps in the frown and around the dome. Then it's time for primer and paint!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good so far mate.

how u find removing the hovi mikes?

had problems with removing the ear central lugs as desribed by Rivetting - so kinda anxious abt starting the drill attack of the Hovis :(

Also - whats ur plan with the ears - u gonna putty em close to helmet or leave the space?

Good luck with painting - eager to see outome !

On the hovis I used a Dremel and a cone shaped sanding attachment to remove as much as I dared, then I used a hairdryer to heat up the glue that holds them in place. When they started to get good and hot I just wiggled on them back and forth, reheated and wiggled some more until they came off.

I haven't made my mind up about the ears yet, but I am tempted to leave the in the direction of "screen accurate". I have to putty some of the right lower ear though. The groove from where the ear sits shows a bit too much on that side

nice with heating up the glue mate - might try that instead.

terrible with power tools

I know wot u mean abt the ears though - I whittled mine a little too much and theres more space than I intended. Gonna putty over cut areas - but hoping to leave space between ears and helmet.

Hope mine turns out as nice as urs (and No'l, and Luis etc etc)

I'm not the guy that walks around with powertools in his belt either, but using the Dremel isn't a big deal. Just take it slow, and everything works out fine:)

I'll post some more pics later today (when I've installed the padding inside, and hopefully filled the gap in the frown, back/dome and ears).

Ok, I added the padding inside the helmet, and it worked out nicely. My nose barely touches the front of the helmet, so it's now a snug and good fit.

Check it!

Bilde000.jpg

I used kneepads made to sit in the kneepockets of workpants. You can them in most hardware stores. I bought 4 pads, which cost me about $48. I just hotglued them in.

It looks like the ones D-MAC is selling here are more or less the same ones, only black.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=4416

I used kneepads made to sit in the kneepockets of workpants. You can them in most hardware stores. I bought 4 pads, which cost me about $48. I just hotglued them in.

It looks like the ones D-MAC is selling here are more or less the same ones, only black.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=4416

Thanks for the info :)

Filled in what needed to be filled in today. I´ll post some pics later.

Does anyone know how long (more or less) it has to dry before putty can be sanded down? I´m using Testors, but there´s no info on how long it has to set before it´s dry or dry enough to sand.

EDIT: Pictures added

Frown:

Bilde002.jpg

Ear:

Bilde004.jpg

Dome/back (had to close the gap, as it got a little wide after gluing the parts together):

Bilde0031.jpg

Now I just need to let this set 'til tomorrow, then I'll sand and start with two layer of primer before 3-4 layers of white and possibly one layer of clearcoat.

I also had to fix the screw on the lower left ear, since it was sitting too deep in the ear.

Looking good man. Been slowly gathering courage to start this - but real life keeps gettin in the way

apologies for being a bit of a newbie here - but painting has always been one of my down falls. Even back in the day of airfix models etc. Always ok with the crafting bit, but my painting was always sh**e

mind if I ask u for an idiots guide to painting pls?

so far - wot I have gathered from Lius and No'l threads is :

sand (220, 320 the 600 wet and dry)

primer 2-4 layers

white - colour of your choice, layers?? varies alot, i see u are goign 3 to 4, some have gone for 10 etc

questions:

(1) do you sand between primers? I note Luis in his tutorial seemed to have applied primer layer after layer in 1 day

(2) do you sand after primers gone on and b4 white goes on?

(3) do you sand in between whites?

one other question - not related to painting - wot u doin abt decals? tried pming mike - but still no reply

:(

Thanks and good luck

Hmm... when I painted the inside of it, I just tried to lay it on smooth, trying to maintain a good distance so I don't get droplets and such. I have to admit, this is the first time I've spraypainted anything... Hehe.

As for the outside of the helmet, the guy at the shop where I bought the paint said to use one or two thin layers of the primer I bought. As far as sanding goes, I might go over it with fine paper, not sure yet. Have too see what the finish looks like.

As for the number of layers, I guess it all depends on how it looks and which paint you are using. They're all different. I just have to take it as I go, see how it looks. The fact that I can't get Rust-Oleum in Norway kinda makes it hard to follow other paintguides 100%.

About decals, I (or rather, my wife) will paint the, frown, traps, tears and such. I ordered the tubestripes from Scott M. here on the forum.

Here: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?show...hl=tube+stripes

lookin' good so far.Off subject but I'm kinda interested in seeing your sleeve. My right arm is sleeved

I'll have a pic taken. Going to do my other arm next year (in 2008 funds are dedicated too armour stuff)

Ok, just finished priming. Ended up with 6 thin coats, might wetsand it after it's cured. I did hit a few snags while priming though. Some of the lower ear where I puttyed has small cracks in the putty, but I don't know if I should do anything about it. I also got minor running on the left chin.

I think I might just leave as is, so as not to get a totally "clean" lid.

Any thoughts?

Oh, one more thing. Should the primer set completely before wetsanding or does it work out ok after a few hours?? :)

cranky iz teh n00b:P

Front:

Bilde010.jpg

Right:

Bilde013-1.jpg

Back:

Bilde012-1.jpg

Left:

Bilde011-1.jpg

EDIT:

OMG I'm laughing at myself so hard right now...I've been reading these build threads from back to front, over and over again and just now it hit me. I forgot to fill the groove from under each ear...geez! Hehe. I think its gonna work out anyway though. I just would have spared myself a lot of annoying, picky work if I did it the "right" way.

Oh well...my first noobie mistake. I guess it won't be the last one.

looking good matey

cant answer any of the painting questions - as I am kinda stuck there too. w8ing on my UKG forums registration to come through (abt 2 weeks now :() to seek out UK preferences on paint

As for ur other questions -

crack in putty - if it were me i I would have stopped priming and re-puttied. But since u havent (which is fine), and if the cracks are small, and since it IS only behind the ear - can use some white filler to fill. "...An acceptable and easy cost effective solution is White Flexible Silicone Sealant..." was suggested on the UKG site for filling the frown space - could be used for ur cracked bit too i guess.

link - http://www.ukgarrison.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15988

....forgot to fill the groove from under each ear - I was gonna leave mine un-filled on purpose tbh. Also gonna for for right eye bump to try and get that Dave M feel. Too bad cant get Dave M decals for a MR CE yet :(

... run left chin - if u are really bothered - should be able to sand it out easy. I would be mroe worried when it comes to the over lying gloss though. Although I have been advised lots of thin coats rather than fewer thick coats.

Good luck mate!

Thanks for the tips. I'll see what I do. Got some white stuff left over for fixing up he kitchen, it'll do for such a small crack, and I don't have to repaint it before the white.

It seems I'll be going for loads of thin coats (got two cans, and not afraid to use them).

As for the ears in general, it works fine without filling the groove in, it's just easier to get the ear to fit if you do.

I also wanted to do the eyebump, but haven't decided yet...

I'v decided to run over the bucket with 600 grit paper tomorrow, and 320 on the rougher spots, then finishing them off with 600. Then I'll just paint my a$$ of the rest of the day. Then I guess I'll do all the grey and black paint before I do the clearcoat last.

Now I just need tubestripes, lenses, brow and necktrim, fans, soundsystem, frownmesh etc. etc. etc. Hehe

hope I am not teaching granny how to suck eggs - but think I hav sourced most of the things. Just need the money now :D

but I have sourced out tubestripes, rubber brow trims and neck seal from UK suppliers, pm me if u need info

gone with bucket works twin fans on sale here.

still havent decided on the sound system - another big purchase :( . But have gone for stompers twin tone aerators with speakers - they look the dog's doo dahs!

happy painting - hope ur weather is better than we are gettin in the UK

Hehe, we've got rain and thunder just now...

I've got Stompers Hovi's with speakers, fans are on the way with my FX. As for soundsystem, the other guys in the local garrison are going for a Rom/FX solution with PTT button and stuff, so I guess I'll hit up on that, or the Plecterlabs one.

I've got some brow and necktrim on the way, just waiting for the guys PP (thanks for the offer though). Tubestripes are ordered, but not arrived yet.

As for lenses, there's a guy here that sells MRCE fitted lenses, but haven't gotten a reply on his thread, so I might just shoot him a PM instead.

thought I'd show u some of my bucket - I am just behind u me thinks :D

heres its all puttied up - just about to sand down

front.jpgrt.jpg

you think my eye bump is too subtle?

Oh remember my fear abt dremelling - still havent over come it - I heated the aerators directly from behind over a light bulb :

bedsidelamp.jpg

then just wiggled them off :

aeratoroff01.jpg