Dmorja: new adventure starts

Good job on the ears!  I had a hell of a time on those suckers...  There's a few minor differences between ESB and ANH, mostly in the helmet, like the teeth, which you've already got down.  Decals on the helmet instead of hand painted, and no hand-painted look decals.  Snowie hand guards.  The holster is on the right with black loops.  E-11 is more "stripped down".  

My original mike tips were speakers, and they attached via a screw through the back of the tip and into the helmet.  It's held since 15' and counting, so I'd recommend it.  

As far as sizing, it's much the same between sizes, just trimming more or less depending on how large/small you need to make it.  There's a bunch of build threads with shim tutorials, if you're in need of shims, too.  For much of the build, you can reference ANH build threads, because so much is the same, just be careful of the little details.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Made some progress this weekend. The arms and thighs have been assembled and I have started on the chest and abs. Painting the buttons has been a pain, I have tried the times and cannot get to look neat. I will keep trying.bf0236bf025f929c650a9b50b5e1370e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

You're not the only one thrown for a loop here.  I'm having trouble trying to figure this out, too.  I'm thinking the shins are mismatched, but I can't quite put my finger on it.  The inside curve looks right, but I feel like maybe the pieces should still be switched.  There will need to be width-trimming, but I would hold off on that until the line up is sorted, to make sure you're measuring to the right leg, etc.

I would like up the tops, and flatten the front out, like there's a cover strip on them, and that might help you visualize.  I'll keep thinking.  I've looked at pictures of mine and they unfortunately didn't help.  

Any else have any ideas?  I've been totally unhelpful, I'm afraid.  

• Like 1

Your best bet to get started is probably to make sure you’re happy with the pairing. If you look at an “ideal shin” shape there’s a “C” side and an “S” some armours have this some don’t and it is a little subtle. If yours does try match it to the correct sides. There is a diagram around that shows better than I can explain but I don’t have it to hand.

Once that’s done trim the front ridge to fit the cover strips and align the pairs at the top.

From there you have more of a sporting chance of figuring out the rears. From what I can see you’ll need to trim them and quite possibly need to hot water shape them too. The bottom edges will almost certainly need tidying up as well.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the help. I have finally figured out how they go. I also watched the Trooperbay video on the calves. So, I can start assembling those.

I have also made more progress on the wife's armor (test fitting below) and have another question.

What is the best way to attach the ammo belt to the canvas belt? I have been looking through the threads but cannot locate this.a44a1e02ce6c0ef7b5c4e040d47e67bf.jpg

Hiya,

This is what I followed for the belt, drop boxes and holster attachment. ***Ignore the holster attachment if you’re going ESB***

https://youtu.be/ivNMQMcfaBU

Be advised: I believe that TKUK mold the three “buttons” into the belt (annoyingly) rather than three separate parts. As such, I would check out some other TKUK builds to see how others got around this issue.

Example of the belt buttons/tabs:

cf56a5e98167899848effd518daf91ca.png

Also, I would check with your GML as to whether the pleated belt provided will be clearable. The originals were not pleated. Example picture below of he fabric part of the belt - note that this one is missing the button:

ff9e7d33ce6c5977252c11f05d927fc8.png

Best wishes

Dan

I used pop rivets, but I recently found that single cap rivets are probably more accurate.  What would be stronger I don't know, it's probably down to how well they are set.

26203861240_7714950c93_c.jpg

Belt assembled by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

This shows mine, I think I used 4x10mm rivets if not they are 4x8.  So 3/16 x 3/8 ish in imperial.  You can probably go bigger or smaller in the diameter but the length needs to be more or less spot on or the cap won't fit over them.

Take a rivet, add a washer (of the nominal size of the rivet so 4mm in my case), through the belt, through the plastic and then another washer.  Pop the rivet and glue on the cap.  Solid as a rock and the washers will prevent pull through.  

It will also help if you can get a good clean hole in the canvas for them, I used a rotary punch to do mine and got an almost perfect clean hole in the belt.  A bad hole is more likely to fray and pull out.

Hello! I just about done with my TKUK kit. To get around the molded belt buttons, I used snaps that I attached to little squares or nylon and glued into the negative spaces of the molded buttons on the back side of the belt.

16c9e5fd2bff09269528d5870f4dfa99.jpg3e9d2f2780277574effecf18b62aa7c6.jpg5b0e9a9998291e155f8098f656351dd3.jpg
I put snaps in all three button spaces and then put the male snaps through the canvas belt. They just snap together. You may want to consider using a dap of glue to make the snaps a little more secure, or use the heavy duty snaps that hold a little better. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Brilliant, I was just reading your adventure with TKUK armor today and was going to ask. Thank you. I am building this one for my wife and was going to use the second one for me but alas the chest doesn't even fit around my neck.

Hiya,

Just be careful of the corners. TKUK have been known to overcut the corners of the main belt. Here’s an example of how they should be.

3db084743b64261601f6bbced956b564.png

Note the 45 degree corners, approx 1cm.

07d52eb323f7ce7373e617bc17f6d212.png

It can be made closer to the originals by reducing the overall length of the ammo belt. If you have a picture of yours we can see how it’s been supplied. :-)

• Like 2

Took some initial fitting pics since it is easier to see what adjustments need to made with the wife unit wearing it. The big things I have noticed is:
* snap plates on the side should be closer for a tighter fit.
* I am going to need to trim down the butt plate to fit her better.

Any other things I can adjust or redo? Any help is appreciated. 54a6cae1565b755c5c963306dd60ea8c.jpg05102a02850afc2aa620f91d6943d974.jpg83672c81409d527e05f089f39c2c2d52.jpg86cfb5b6d341360e0f34ce492b180ad9.jpg

Here is what the belt looks like. Did I cut too much off? Sorry the pics are dark.a1295b7e6ee60019bbbf6605c5389c05.jpg78512e4e0ad64a403269b82709f47188.jpg

Hiya,

Personally, to get it a little closer to the originals, I’d consider something like this;

a92b14bbe82a305b9f0aa613c9de15b8.jpg

This is just my opinion, but it might help get you a little closer to the screen used ammo belts.

Hey looks good so far! I had to trim off quite a bit of the butt plate to get it to fit properly in between the kidney plate and the top of the thighs. I took a few inches off the top edge so it would sit flush with the kidney plate. Then I took another few inches from both sides and freehanded a more tailored shape for the "tail" part that goes between the legs. I remember thinking "there is no way I need to trim this thing more?!" and then trying it on and realizing it was still too big!

Also for the shoulder bells. I had to make the elastic strap that holds them to the shoulder bridges super short so that they close some of the gap there. I still have slightly more of a gap than I would like, but I was able to close most of it.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to seeing the finished kit! I have two more coming soon, one for the wife and the other for me to try and make into a Sandtrooper!

• 5 weeks later...

After a little break I was able trim the back side , well actually I trimmed it three times and used a heat gun. The trimmed one is on the left, lol if you couldn't tell. How does this look? Is more trimming needed?caa1040017831d5ffe2cbc820f20535f.jpg

Alright. 5 10 she should fit this armor proportionally unless it runs large. That said, the posterior (butt plate) should reside under the Ab, can we get a side photo (arm up)

Alright. 5 10 she should fit this armor proportionally unless it runs large. That said, the posterior (butt plate) should reside under the Ab, can we get a side photo (arm up)
Sure thing488ebf3acd8b3e05236109a8a7d90f15.jpg3f6e26df80f637a3dd5010c389404891.jpg

5 minutes ago, salshred said:

Looks like you just need to get the butt plate flush with the kidney piece and I should be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was thinking. Jason what are you using for connecting material? Have a interior photo

You may want to add a little strapping on the sides of the butt plate so it pulls it in and sits against the kidney better, at the moment it's angled over.

If that doesn't work you could always try adding some tabs to keep it in alignment.

Image result for stormtrooper butt strapping

EDIT

I stand corrected

THigh%20ammo%20cut.jpg

Holster goes on the other side too ;) 

ESBtk.jpg