Princess at work: ANH hero (TM)

Freedomfighter

• 2 weeks later...

"I double my efforts", Lord Vader wants the construction to be completed!

And yes, there are pink spring clamps in the hardware store! :)

So last weekend I glued a lot with E6000, attached elastic bands, shoulder straps on it, cut edges and drilled holes in my armor (don`t ask how, my husband has already rolled his eyes when he saw me using his tools ...)

Only the split rivets annoy me for days, I bend, I hammered but they won`t get flat!

thumb_5hxd99p2.jpg

thumb_ng4ajh65.jpg

thumb_nbxlv6rd.jpg

You need to hammer the rivets on a very hard surface. I use my vice as an anvil and the rivet legs hammer very flat. Once you have the rivet legs split open with whatever tool you are using, just use the hammer directly to flatten the legs. I tape a strip of scrap plastic on the outside of the armour over the rivets so I don't scratch the armour when setting the rivets.

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised with installing my split rivets .....as I was both confused, bewildered, and very anxious when I got to this part of the build.  Like Wicket ascertaining the intentions of Leia and her food offering...lol....

My method was:  a piece of wood under the armour to minimize scratching.....and then with needle nose pliers, start initiating the bend on the rivets as far as you can go.  Then try a flathead screwdriver to push it down a little further (rolling the screwdriver over)....or a combination of pliers and screwdriver.  Then, take a punch that is roughly the size of one of the legs and pound down each leg with a plastic mallet further.  Once each end is down far enough....finish them both of with the plastic/rubber ended mallet until flush.

The first one (on my cod piece) was a little scary at first.  When I got to the kidney rivets, it was actually fun :)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for your help, I managed to successfully install the split rivets! It was really helpful to use a very hard ground.

I was so happy that it worked, but unfortunately I made a really stupid mistake. I drilled the holes for the split rivets on both sides and not just on the left. That`s soooo stupid, I know, but it happened.

So what should I do best now?

thumb_fj5xsxhd.jpg

Edited by Freedomfighter

everybody makes mistakes.  I just glued the two barrel pieces of my T-21 blaster backwards.....it sucks, but definitely not the end of the world.

I would do a search here with respect to abs paste (basically abs plastic chips, melted down via acetone, and used like a filler).  fill the holes and sand the excess.....I've never done this myself but have seen posts with respect to the use of abs paste.  So have a look see and good luck with the repair.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ABS80 said:

Paste will work but unfortunately the color will not match 100% even when using same exact plastic :(

I'd just call it battle damage.  :)  The match will be close enough that very few- if any- people would notice when you're out trooping.  

• Like 2

Don't ever be discouraged.  I won't borked up some shins and had to order new ones.  It happens. It's the end result that matters, and learning/enjoying as you go.

• Like 2

Thank you guys for these encouraging words!!! You're right, mistakes happen, it´s frustrating but it`s not the end of the world and I have experienced worse things.

I try the ABS paste today!

I managed to get the holes in, then I will manage to get them back :)

Hang in there, Stefanie!  When filling those holes in with the ABS paste, put some tape on the backside beforehand.  Also, try not to overfill the hole too much.  this will reduce the amount of sanding you have to do afterward.

• Like 1

Absolutely, Stefanie!  There is a product called Novus plastic polish, which you can purchase in a 3 step kit. https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU  It is available here in the states.  They do sell it in Germany, (details below), but there may be another brand that is more readily available in your area.  You may want to give one of our Imperial Attaches in Germany a PM, Christian (Novak Dimon) or Michael (Addertime) and ask them about what products they recommend.  

iGo3D GmbH
Am Brabrinke 14
Germany - 30519 Hannover
+49 511 - 89 88 87 - 0
info@igo3d.com

• Like 1

Hi Stefanie,

you can buy the Novus polish here: http://schleifartikel.com/epages/2e19cdcc-93fc-40bb-bebf-e0fad7f64e67.mobile/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/2e19cdcc-93fc-40bb-bebf-e0fad7f64e67/Products/33&Locale=de_DE

You will see that the repaired spots will look like new after polishing. 

Cheers

Christian

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

And today: Birthday of my Trooper! :peace:

Here are the very first pictures of it, I'm so curious what you say and I'm glad about your criticism. So much cutting, glueing, crying, bleeding and redoing, I can not believe that it is actually finished now!!! At least it's done so far that I can now put all the pieces together and show you how it looks (the background of the pictures is not optimal, it`s just to give you an impression of my work).

It`s not perfect but I made it :)

44rzmf7s.jpg

4hdfn3km.jpg

Edited by Freedomfighter
  • Like 2

Hi Stefanie,

great job with your armor! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Perhaps you should shorten the left thigh armor a little bit. It is looking a bit too long and I guess walking is difficult now. 

Keep up the great work. :duim:

Cheers

Christian

• Like 1