Princess at work: ANH hero (TM)

Freedomfighter

Hey guys,

until I`m waiting for BBB day I`m starting with building the rest of the accessories and want to share some pictures with you. If you have any ideas to improve something, please let me know, because this is my first Trooper and I never did anything similar before :)

Today I painted my shoes:

thumb_4wfdn3kl.jpg

thumb_mxp7flk4.jpg

I was not so happy with the surface after painting it but with the help of nail polish remover I could get a really nice finish with no damages!

thumb_j8ynnltc.jpg

Now I just need to clean them a little bit and paint the rubber parts

• Like 3

Today I had time to create my neckseal!

After trying some techniques I`ve found the best way to get a really nice shape. I`ve put a fabric lining of cotton fleece in it, which gives softness and volume . To get a good looking shape I used a 4mm rope.

Here you can see my result:

thumb_bsjlyptt.jpg

thumb_74tn6t92.jpg

thumb_kfpwsgfh.jpg

thumb_mnccg77k.jpg

thumb_zcc2cp6j.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Then I suggest you start a for-sales thread and I call dibs on the first one :jc_doublethumbup:

Oh it`s so easy, I guess everybody can do it ;)

But I`m going to think about that when my Trooper is ready

Edited by Freedomfighter
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Freedomfighter said:

Today I had time to create my neckseal!

After trying some techniques I`ve found the best way to get a really nice shape. I`ve put a fabric lining of cotton fleece in it, which gives softness and volume . To get a good looking shape I used a 4mm rope.

That looks awesome. 

I tried a similar thing for an entirely different costume project, a space suit. I sewed black vinyl onto the backing material in stripes about an inch wide, then stuffed strips of foam rubber inside. Hemispherical strips would work better than the rectangular strips I used, but since it had to curve around shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees, it tended to bunch up. Probably real elastic material would work better. 

How did you you get the sewing machine foot consistently close to the rope? You'd have to sew with the rope on the narrow side of the foot, but that still limits how close you can get. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Timberwoof said:

That looks awesome. 

I tried a similar thing for an entirely different costume project, a space suit. I sewed black vinyl onto the backing material in stripes about an inch wide, then stuffed strips of foam rubber inside. Hemispherical strips would work better than the rectangular strips I used, but since it had to curve around shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees, it tended to bunch up. Probably real elastic material would work better. 

How did you you get the sewing machine foot consistently close to the rope? You'd have to sew with the rope on the narrow side of the foot, but that still limits how close you can get. 

For everybody, who wants to do it, here`s my instruction:

I chose black cotton, which is smooth, light and beautiful. From this I cut the pattern (neck part + shoulder part). The basis of the fabric lining is a 15mm organic cotton fleece (you could also chose another fleece). I split it horizontally and spread it over the two halves of the neck parts (so that each side of the fabric is covered with a layer of 7 mm cotton fleece). You can see it on the picture above. To get a good shape I have incorporated a 4 mm rope. After joining the neck and shoulder parts, sew a velcro fastener on the back and it`s done! :)

To get really close to the rope while sewing you can chose a special machine foot for zipper. It`s very small and allows to sew very close to the rope. And I have a really special sewing machine, so for me there is no limit how close I can sew to the rope, if I wanted I could sew through the rope too ;) But I`m not sure, if this works with every sewing machine...

Greetings

Stefanie

Edited by Freedomfighter
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

I started trimming the small parts and it`s getting better with every part! Although I have the feeling, that there are still so many parts left untrimmed but you can see that I did a lot of trimming this weekend...

Maybe next time I`m going to build a Rogue One Trooper, so I don`t have to wipe away blood splatters from my armour :D But as my husband always says: where wood is chopped, splinters must fall :)

thumb_yxngm45v.jpg

thumb_9gkxgg1w.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally all trimming is done and I started glueing the first coverstrips yesterday evening. I started with arm parts and found out, that glueing is better for me than trimming and you finally can see: it`s going on, that helps!

thumb_sx2crgjv.jpg

thumb_3hcpfl64.jpg

thumb_bkvw9xg5.jpg

And: gloves and hand guards are ordered!

Edited by Freedomfighter
  • Like 2

When you come to glue the inner parts of the forearms to the outer parts, I suggest starting with the back joints first. Depending on how you have trimmed them, the joints can sometimes come to a slight V shape which makes getting a good bond hard, so start with the back first and once dry you can move onto the front joint that has a nice, flat joining surface.

• Like 1

After some parts I learned that glueing is not as easy as I thought in the beginning. The parts are moving during glueing and some times it`s really tricky to fix them in a good position! But with the help of tape and magnets I glued biceps, forearms and shins (front parts) last weekend:

thumb_ftapxdzx.jpg

I`m looking forward to try on the first parts of my trooper :)

Edited by Freedomfighter
  • Like 1