Sinulog 2018

darthcue

8km route parade of Cebu City, Philippines by the Cebu Scarif Squad of the Philippine Garrison... Last year parade was famous because of the TX-225 tank from Roque One and this year we brought it back because of popular demand before the float will finally be decommissioned for good.

73db28993337d477daecd2750380f1f0.jpg

This is us getting ready for the parade at 3:00 am ready to ride the tank to the starting point of the parade. That’s me TK-35679 with the bucket on in ROTK armor.

7ea3b5b40bc0f5d8c38a5c81b8f4da72.jpg

This is me last year with my ANH Stunt armor carrying our squad flag...

7f43eae4cbd1a7416efe4674ee5df19b.jpg

TKs Group photo beside the tank...

3ff92c47df9c82ff376e94691db5e872.jpg

A missionary Star Wars fan or a jawa?

cae65f20edf4aa5e641386f96a1f1a75.jpg

That’s me holding the Singapore Garrison flag behind us is the TX-225.

e174458e992364ecd027b8393970cefa.jpg

The tank upclose...

1159c9722224b88f65447abf54c7fe9e.jpg

More pictures to come...

The other float.. the Tie Silencer

3e3f9dad26e5156f6cb21df02b2ace8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"Almost 12 hours in armor (from 3am to 3pm), practically no sleep at all, and an 8Km march alongside 50 of my brothers and sisters from the 501st.

The 2018 Sinulog parade brought together the Philippine Garrison, Singapore Garrison, Hong Kong Garrison, Indonesian Garrison, Malaysian Garrison and the Czech Republic Garrison.

The floats were a 1:1 TX-225 Tank from Rogue One and a 1:3 Tie Silencer from The Last Jedi. Barely 10 meters into the start of the march, it rained and we all didn't mind getting wet. The same downpour fried our float's sound system so we lost our Star Wars marching music.

This also capped the fun week hosted by the 501st Cebu Scarif squad wherin 501st and Rebel Legion members stayed in an island beach house with a pool, toured around Cebu, brought to a Sandbar in Bohol for a swimming activity and boat cruise, we went to mass together and were fed all the time (and I mean all the time) from the moment we arrived until we left.

Truly a memorable one for my first Sinulog. Pit Senyor!"

Jeffrey A. Estaris  
TK-3448
Garrison Web Liason (GWL)
Philippine Garrison

a6129f57a5252e8f79a286c1826876b0.jpg

Rogue One timeline characters... that’s me on ROTK armor with a riot baton... all others TKs are ANH stunt.

“Personally for me, the Sinulog Cebu 2018 Troop is a milestone experience. It not only tested me physically by participating in a 8km parade in armor but tested my resolve to finish this mission of promoting the goodwill the 501st together with members from southeast asia in one of the most celebrated festivals in thePhilippines; Pit Señor. It was also where we as brothers and sisters of the 501st from different countries Thank you Cebu and the Cebu Scarif Squad and Red Viper for the hospitality & support you have extended to us all. You pampered all of us beyond our expectations and ensured us that we were in safe

hands with medical and security detail and prepared for anything. Dahang Salamat.

—WARNING— Below is a personal account of the Sinulog march and is a lengthy read-, almost as long as the march itself.. hahaha. and here for sharing..

SINULOG 2018 -From the Personal account of ST-24559 (Shore trooper)

There we were, 50 troopers strong, ready to spearhead the Sinulog 2018 parade in celebration of Pit Senyor (the holy child senior Sto. Nino de Cebu). A 8km mardi gras street parade attended by millions of devotees who call upon the Sto. Nino for thanksgiving as well as to make their personal requests to the infant Jesus. This was it! Cebu Scarif Squad did not sugarcoat what was to come.The Sinulog Troop was going to test everyones resolve and physical endurance. The hours fully suited up, the walk over inclined and descending avenues of uptown and midtown Cebu city. The hoards of people who will descend upon you in a frenzy of excitement wanting to meet and take a photo with their favorite Star Wars character. We were ready!.. or we believed ourselves to be.

I proudly took up my position as honor guard, together with a fellow ST. Shore trooper, the classification of stormtrooper personified in the Cebu Scarif Squad logo, at the front end of the parade with a few flag bearing jedi and the banner carriers of the 501st legion flag heralded by none other but the most beloved and feared bounty hunter of the Star Wars universe; Boba Fett. Aligned with us was a biker scout, and together in that formation of 2 STs and 1TB, we knew we were paying tribute in our small little way to Jim Griffin of the 501st Pathfinders,who passed away the night before. Behind us a Death Trooper, a Shadow guard, Stormtroopers and Sand troopers carrying the legion flags of the various garrisons from the Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia. A Jawa and occasionally 2 Princess Leias in ROTJ slave outfits with several Imperial Officers with a little boy named CJ, in Stormtrooper armor that would take point from time to time. An actual sized TX-225 Combat assault tank came next, driven by an overly excited TA assault Tank driver from Singapore. Right behind the Tank, the Rebels took position with both ANH and TFA

Resistance pilots with Asoka and 2 Reys and a few jedi. An Imperial Navy Officer and Imperial Line Officer led a squad of Tie Fighter Pilots from both ANH and TFA with 2 Kylo Rens and a TK TLJ Executioner walking infront of a 1/3 scale Kylo’s Tie Silencer that hovered a few feet above them. Several Imperial officers and dedicated minders were ever present in the front, back and between, keeping an eye on all those who may have needed costume support, water or medical attention.

It’s now 9:00am, 6 hours in costume and it is only now we begin to march after a blessing of rain. The drum beats pound out and the vehicle ahead with an image of a Sto.Nino begins to roll forward. The atmosphere is electric with anticipation as we take those first few steps. Cameras left and right clicking away with the crowds cheering us on behind cordoned ropes. Cheering and chants go up with shouts of “Star Wars” , "Viva Pit Senyor" and occasional call outs to known characters as well as unknown characters who mistake Death Troopers and Tie Pilots as Darth Vader. Regardless of what was called out for The slave Leia’s as Jedi to "mga puting robot” (the white robots-for TKs and TD’s). they were shouts of overwhelming joy. A thankfulness that cannot be described for the visual eye candy before them that has come to be part of this festival.

11:00 am, 3 hours into the parade. Several troopers and rebels have occasionally broke ranks to meet the crowds by the cordoned path, catching the cautious eye of soldiers

who lined the entire length of the parade route to safeguard the festivities as the crowds reached out to shake hands and position themselves between extended selfie sticks.

Military helicopters would do occasional flybys above the crowd. Left and right of the parade route was a sea of people, who probably have also waited since 6:00am to secure

a decent spot. Sweat begins trickle inside my fiberglass armor as mid day approaches, the fans in my helmet begin to give out and as murphy’s law would have it, my helmet liner

gives way, snapping in two, exposing several staples that stab occasionally into the temples of my head and despite several quick repair solutions with the help of vigilant officers

and minders assisting me to the trooper carrier to make repairs and take a breather and hydrate, the duct tape could only do so much to keep the helmet ring in place for from

that time on, i was going to take on the rest of the parade with my head lopsided inside the bucket with partial vision obscuring my right eye. 11:30 am— An officer shouts out to the

501st to smarten up —as we are nearing the end. We are approaching the Avellanas Sports Complex, a stadium where the parade would be received, viewed and broadcast with

many judges and dignitaries present. Ahhh..so it comes to the end, I thought.. that wasn’t so bad I thought. ..and we paraded right in front of the grandstand effortlessly.

— until reality set in.- That was the easy part.

11:40 am, exiting the grandstand thinking that we were walking now towards an extraction point to finally board our transports, suit up and rest… It was going to be quite the opposite…

This time after passing the secure exit gates of the stadium and entering Barangay Imus, which was near the Sto. Nino Church itself, It was clear that this was where the main battle

with ones inner resolve was going to take place. CT, Bacus, (TK Bai) ,the commanding officer of the Cebu Scarif squad, and the most seasoned 501st veteran of the Sinulog parades,

called out to all to prepare themselves- as this is where it begins. A shiver snakes down my spine.. “WHAT THE ..?!”as we emerge into another sea of people. This time more frantic,

and pulsing than that which we encountered in the beginning of the parade. The image flashing in my head may have been similar to what the clones must have seen on Geonosis.

“Do or Do not! there is no try”- and with that we met the hoards of photo snap happy festival goers, fans of every kind came charging at us from all directions. The military and security

detail lining the streets were now pressed beyond their limits and the inevitable would be upon us. Our parade formation closed ranks. The space between the Tank and the Silencer

were our recovery and safe spots to go to for intermittent breaks. The pace of the parade had changed. Walking a few feet to to waiting for 30 or more minutes at a time in our positions

before we trudged on forward. Lunch was taken in batches. Jollibee Chicken Joy never tasted better as we wolfed down our meal.. begging off from pressing crowds and fans seeking

photo opportunities to give us a few minutes to chow down with our buckets off before we could put don them again for photos. 1pm, 2pm then 3pm. Whenever the parade stopped moving

— the hoards would descend and swoop in. Click-click - Click—phone cameras. SLR cameras. excited kids, parents, fans of all ages. I have never had so many selfies in my entire life!.

They were in front of you, at your side, at your back. chatting, giggling and excited for the opportunity… and though the chaos of it all —respectful enough to approach you when you gave

a wave of your hand or a nod of your head indicating approval. In all of this controlled chaos….the Southeast Asian 501st troopers and Rebel Legion members pushed on! The sight of

everyone sticking to the mission was admirable!. Troops were extremely fatigued, some were spaced out and blanked out under their helmets.. and yet would not give up. I can only

imagine how crazy things may have been at the back of the parade and i caught glimpses where the TX-225 tank was like a lifeboat to many troopers climbing up to take

a bit of reprieve from the crowds below. Kylo with his scar was true to character impressively posing and engaging the crowd with photos to remember. In front, where i was

stationed, the Pathfinders held their own with the Death trooper….and in front of me … Boba Fett…who was the first iconic character leading us all. would take the initial

onslaught of trigger happy fans. If Vader was with us.. he would have by now uttered those famous lines “ Impressive… most Impressive”. Our troopers pushed on a quarter

of a kilometer at a time. .. moving .. stopping , swarmed with festival goers with the cycle repeating itself. With aching feet, and weighed down armor, The biker scout was resourceful

enough to approach the pace vehicle in front of us which was a modified jeep with a half step in the rear, perfect for a quick sit, for a few minutes. And with their assistance,

provided a place for us to grab quick break when we needed to…. 3pm and 12 hours later in armor… we had reached our exit point. The officers commanded us to board the

transport as it was time to go.

As i hold the patch “ Sinulog Iron Trooper” in my hand.. i realized that what i earned through this was not just the badge that said i survived.. but the friendships and camaraderie

shared by those that went through it all with me. Those that helped me make it. The 501st and Rebel legion troopers that made it complete…and the celebration of Pit Senyor

itself. The lovely and hospitable people of Cebu, with their devotion to the Sto. Nino and celebration of life.”

- Billy Montinola

ST-24559

Philippine Garrison

Congratulations to you, my brothers! Without your dedication, sacrifice and hard work, this event won't be successful! Hopefully I can join you all next year. Regards to the squad! All love and support for you, guys. See you soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...