hollowbodies' first build : ANH Stunt TK (AP)

hollowbodies

How soon after painting did you take those pictures? It definitely does look shiny, but it could just be the lighting, the angle, or just wet paint. If you used Humbrol 85, you should be good to go.
I did not take it right after doing it... I waited a few hours before taking the pic to ask about it! =/

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk

I guess I could try to use the Testors 1139 Semi Gloss Black to see how it goes... However, I find it very strange that the Humbrol 85 Satin Black has such a shiny finish. Anyone else knows if this looks normal or not? Or maybe it's just the tin I got that was crap... Anyone who has already used that paint please let me know! :rolleyes:

Mine has a little shine to it, but not as glossy as what you have in the picture.  Did you stir the tin with a toothpick or something similar (I hate to ask the possibly obvious)?  I find the Humbrol paints need a lot of stirring. 

Thing is - it looks like you did an awesome job of the painting!

Mine is definitely more shiny than yours. And I did shake the tin pretty much before using it. Did you use the exact same paint than me? 

And thanks for the compliment, that gives motivation for doing that vocoder all over again if I need to make it more matte. :smiley-sw013:

Edited by hollowbodies

Yep, that's the paint I used. 

Shaking might have not been enough.  The paint will separate and you can get very heavy sludge at the bottom.  At least I did.  No amount of shaking seemed to mix it.  I had to take a toothpick and stir - even then it took some effort to get all the heavy sludge mixed back into the paint.  So test the paint with a toothpick - if you don't detect any sludge at the bottom, then you might have bought a mislabeled tin of paint.  That is all I can think of.

Maybe you can get away with a shiny vocoder.  :)

Always stir very well model paints, being a experienced model kit builder/painter humbrol paints are usually pretty accurate and should really have a satin finish. I used both but prefer Testors 1139 Semi Gloss Black to apply with a brush.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

Quick update about my build. I have worked on a few things this week. One of them is the shins - I've started fitting them. And before I go further, I just wanted to make sure the correct parts are put together. They were marked from the trimmed kit I received, but still asking just to make sure. :smiley-sw013: Here is how I'd assemble them :

Kz99H2G.jpg     gqxXx4r.jpg

0iid5d1.jpg

From what I've looked at, the correct parts seem to be together... Am I right? 8-)

Also, on another note, I re-did my vocoder because I thought it was way too glossy. This time I really did stir the paint from the inside - not just shaking the tin like a mad guy - and the result I amazing. It's completely different - all satin - and I like it so much! Was worth re-doing it all over again. Here's a picture of how the paint looks now :

ddPBdMr.jpg

As always, thanks for your so valuable tips guys! And have a good day! :D

Edited by hollowbodies
  • Like 2

Vocoder looks great :duim: Shins look the part to and question though, did you size them with boots on?
Yes, I did try them with boots on. I just didn't have them on when I took the pictures! ^^

9 minutes ago, hollowbodies said:

Yes, I did try them with boots on

Good to hear:duim: They looked snug at the ankle so was worried for a bit they don`t fit when you got the boots on - that tight fit will look awesome:jc_doublethumbup:

med_gallery_14191_18_388910.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, that's what I aimed for... I wanted it to be tight enough because I think this part (and the legs overall I guess) looks way better when its more slim/tight. I still left a bit of free space around the knee and the calf and overall though... However, looking at the pics, I'm not sure if I tried them low enough. But I think it should not be too much of a problem - hopefully. ^^

• Like 1

Here is a shot of the shins with the boots on, just to confirm what we were talking about : 

APMr4bG.jpg

By the way, here are my boots - I hadn't posted about them yet. I had the chance to get some of the last amazing TK Boots before they close completely (that's really sad)! Love them pretty much! ^^

Edited by hollowbodies

Also, I am thinking about painting the tube stripes on the helmet maybe this week when I get some time! :o And I thought I'd ask just to make really really sure that they would be placed correctly... I'm pretty sure it's okay, but I just don't want to do the same thing as Greg - putting them on the wrong side and having to re-do the front! I admire you for going through that, mate! ;) :P

So, if I put the templates this way, that's okay, right? 

K73tWvX.jpg

Would be awesome if the official-tube-stripe-police-sheriff would chime in and confirm, too! Haha! ;D

Edited by hollowbodies
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, hollowbodies said:

Here is a shot of the shins with the boots on, just to confirm what we were talking about : 

Looking good:duim:

4 minutes ago, hollowbodies said:

Would be awesome if the official-tube-stripe-police-sheriff would chime in and confirm, too! Haha! ;D

I will leave this to Dan @CableGuy but I`d say you are good *fingers crossed* :smiley-sw013:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, hollowbodies said:

So, if I put the templates this way, that's okay, right?

ha ha!  I can say with some higher level of certainty, that yes - that is the right way.  We learn from our mistakes. ;)

The build is looking really good!

• Like 2

Did somebody call for the Tube Stripe Police?? ;-)

Yeah, that looks good. Based on the Dave M lid, the front stripes lean forward, like you have it displayed, almost ending up parallel to the line of the frown.

5fef292652f926f990c6be57c46e3414.jpg

1e80355df3b2eaee28bfbddfcbd522fb.jpg

Sheriff out... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Haha thanks guy! I guess that now I just have to stick the template properly on the lid and paint... Oh well, I wonder how it's gonna go! :smiley-sw013: I'll post more pics when I'll have the time to give it a coat. :P

Edited by hollowbodies
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, hollowbodies said:

Haha thanks guy! I guess that now I just have to stick the template properly on the lid and paint... Oh well, I wonder how it's gonna go! :smiley-sw013: I'll post more pics when I'll have the time to give it a coat. :P

Super! And, don't forget, approximately a pencil's width between the cheek and the stripes. :)

Here's the man himself... 

• Like 1

Small question about the shoulders this time : are the shoulder bells supposed to fit very tight around the biceps parts? Like should I need to "open" them and stretch the elastic a bit to fit the bicep into them, or should they go "easily" in place inside the shoulder bells? I'm wondering how tight I should glue my around-the-arm elastic inside my shoulder bells, and I can't seem to find a place where that information is precisely detailed so... how did you do yours? :)

Small question about the shoulders this time : are the shoulder bells supposed to fit very tight around the biceps parts? Like should I need to "open" them and stretch the elastic a bit to fit the bicep into them, or should they go "easily" in place inside the shoulder bells? I'm wondering how tight I should glue my around-the-arm elastic inside my shoulder bells, and I can't seem to find a place where that information is precisely detailed so... how did you do yours?

I glued mine so they were just barely taught. If they are too loose your shoulder bells might flare out a bit.
Use E6000 and all is good. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Yup, keep the elastic taught enough to hold the bicep in place, but it does, need to be squeezy tight. Nice recover on the vocoder. Ensure you leave enough room at the bottom of your shins so they have room to move when you walk without splitting apart.

Looking good trooper!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! I have been away for a loooong time and I'm so sorry for not posting for a while. In fact, I've been pretty busy lately, having to work away from home for almost a month... So during that period, I had really little time to work on my build, unfortunately. However, since I came back not so long ago, I worked a lot on it and it progressed quite well I think... In fact, I have mostly finished all the huge work and now have to do some more adjustments and stuff like that but I think my armor should soon be completed - well, at least pretty wearable! :)

I will post some new pictures soon. The reason I did not yet is because last weekend, the laptop on which I uploaded all the pictures I took to transfer them to imgur and then post them here completely exploded and is not working anymore - motherboard and CPU problems. I'll have to sort all of that and will probably be able to upload pics of all my new developments throughout the weekend! 

Sorry for having been away for so long, hope you guys will still follow my build... I have not stopped at all - in fact, I think (I hope!) I can say that I'll be done soon! :D :dancing-trooper:

Edited by hollowbodies
  • Like 4

We're all still here! Take the time you need and we look forward to seeing your photos! (Yes I just decided to represent everyone else just now hahah)

• Like 2