Any Full Commission FO Builds?

pjtoadie

Depends on what you are looking for. Most all of them will be kits still. 

Anovos is charging a mint for their fully built armor because they are more of a manufacturer than they are a builder/customizer and they can provide the armor cheaper if you do the manpower, so they are going to make you pay for them to do the work.

One of the guys in my garrison got himself some armor from Jim Tripon (Jimmiroquai), but it was a kit requiring building and paint/detailing. He told me it cost him roughly around $1000-$1200 when all was said and done.

Ive messaged KB Props, but haven’t heard back.

22 hours ago, FN-1313 said:

Depends on what you are looking for. Most all of them will be kits still. 

Anovos is charging a mint for their fully built armor because they are more of a manufacturer than they are a builder/customizer and they can provide the armor cheaper if you do the manpower, so they are going to make you pay for them to do the work.

One of the guys in my garrison got himself some armor from Jim Tripon (Jimmiroquai), but it was a kit requiring building and paint/detailing. He told me it cost him roughly around $1000-$1200 when all was said and done.

Ive messaged KB Props, but haven’t heard back.

Yeah that makes sense about Anovos. I emailed Jim but haven’t heard back yet. I’ll do some more research. Thanks!

Jim doesn't do full commission doesn't have the time

KB I don't think would have the time either they will finish the bucket for you

The closest you'll find to close to finished is MIMIC and he is quite behind because when you over finishing to lots of people it adds a lot of time when your just one person and pulling everything. I don't think he's taking orders but he might. We had a bit of a mess with communication but I still think he's a good guy and very talented just need to understand it will take lots of time to get finished product.

IMO you'd be better off finding a kit you like the best and finding someone in the community that has built this armor before and ask if they will do it for you. Or just get up the nerve and work on it yourself piece by piece. Honestly if you set your mind to it anything is possible.

Yeah, I think you should ask on your garrison's forums to see if anyone might be interested in doing this work for you. If the person is local, they can ensure that the costume fits you best right away instead of building the whole thing and then having to change a bunch of stuff for fit. In my experience, measurements only go so far; lots of tweaks required even when you get a commissioned build for armour.

On 1/22/2018 at 7:54 AM, heartstopper85 said:

Jim doesn't do full commission doesn't have the time

KB I don't think would have the time either they will finish the bucket for you

The closest you'll find to close to finished is MIMIC and he is quite behind because when you over finishing to lots of people it adds a lot of time when your just one person and pulling everything. I don't think he's taking orders but he might. We had a bit of a mess with communication but I still think he's a good guy and very talented just need to understand it will take lots of time to get finished product.

IMO you'd be better off finding a kit you like the best and finding someone in the community that has built this armor before and ask if they will do it for you. Or just get up the nerve and work on it yourself piece by piece. Honestly if you set your mind to it anything is possible.

Yeah good idea, thank you!

On 1/22/2018 at 8:28 AM, lucnak said:

Yeah, I think you should ask on your garrison's forums to see if anyone might be interested in doing this work for you. If the person is local, they can ensure that the costume fits you best right away instead of building the whole thing and then having to change a bunch of stuff for fit. In my experience, measurements only go so far; lots of tweaks required even when you get a commissioned build for armour.

I’ve been in communication with my local garrison and I think there’s a few locals that might be able to do the work for me. Thanks for the reply!

They are massively time intensive.  I think most people pay between $300-$500 to have someone build their TK for them.   Clones used to be about the same, plus a few hundred for a really good paint job.   KW said that when they did a run of EP3 clones, the average from start to finish including paint was about 108 hours of work.  Even at $10/hour (minimum wage in a lot of the US), that's $1000 in build/paint time.    A TFA TK is at least as hard at an EP3 clone, so unless you can take advantage of some crazy arbitrage, I could easily see someone charging $800+ for build time alone, maybe $1000 including paint.

Yes, I know ANOVOS is working to simplify the kit to make it about as on par as an ANH TK, but we've not seen that yet.  I also know people are working to 3D print some hard parts like the thermal detonator and the forearm details, but so far those haven't driven down the cost/time complexity of putting these together yet.

1 hour ago, Daetrin said:

They are massively time intensive.  I think most people pay between $300-$500 to have someone build their TK for them.   Clones used to be about the same, plus a few hundred for a really good paint job.   KW said that when they did a run of EP3 clones, the average from start to finish including paint was about 108 hours of work.  Even at $10/hour (minimum wage in a lot of the US), that's $1000 in build/paint time.    A TFA TK is at least as hard at an EP3 clone, so unless you can take advantage of some crazy arbitrage, I could easily see someone charging $800+ for build time alone, maybe $1000 including paint.

Yes, I know ANOVOS is working to simplify the kit to make it about as on par as an ANH TK, but we've not seen that yet.  I also know people are working to 3D print some hard parts like the thermal detonator and the forearm details, but so far those haven't driven down the cost/time complexity of putting these together yet.

Yeah $1000 for just the labor alone isn’t in my budget right now. I really want to do a First Order TK but it’ll probably have to wait. 

7 hours ago, pjtoadie said:

Yeah $1000 for just the labor alone isn’t in my budget right now. I really want to do a First Order TK but it’ll probably have to wait. 

A lot of work goes into a first order TK, not like an original trilogy TK where you just and glue pieces together, FOTK has to be trimmed, prepped, filled, sanded, primed and painted, all this adds to the work load. I'd suggest $1000 is pretty cheap to get a kit fully wearable.

Unfortunately with any hobby there are costs involved and the costume is the biggest part of this hobby, you do save on membership fees though, as there aren't any ;) 

Yeah, hey look at a Boba Fett?  What's the floor on that?  $2500, or more?  When we did a poll even on ANH TK's when you add up the costs of all the parts, etc. the average for was about $1200 and that was a few years ago (yes, some higher, some lower).

As noted, it's a very labor intensive build for now.

5 hours ago, Daetrin said:

Yeah, hey look at a Boba Fett?  What's the floor on that?  $2500, or more?  When we did a poll even on ANH TK's when you add up the costs of all the parts, etc. the average for was about $1200 and that was a few years ago (yes, some higher, some lower).

As noted, it's a very labor intensive build for now.

Ha yeah Boba Fett is crazy expensive.  From what I hear it is the most expensive costume just to get something approved even without some decent parts.  I look back and I spent approx $1500 on my TK.  I thought that was a lot of money at the time and thought I was crazy for doing it.  That was a walk in the park!  I'm doing Vader now and I'm almost done buying everything and I'm at $3057.  I still have to buy the cape and robe for about $650 and have everything tailored locally!  Talk about crazy!  And I still had thoughts about maybe doing a sandtrooper to keep me occupied.  When does the craziness end??

A wookie?  The most expensive is an R2 - people don't sell them at all but I heard on the down low that one did sell for $10,000.  A really good Chewbacca I think is $4500 or so?  I have heard of Bob's going over $3000, but am not 100%.

Wow some of those builds you all mentioned are crazy expensive but I’m not surprised. My wife wants to do Phasma one day but we’ll have to set aside a crazy amount of money lol. 

I finally heard back from Jim (jimmiroquai) and his full FOTK kit plus helmet is $850 with $200 in shipping to the US. Supposedly you won’t have to do a ton of modifying according to his FAQ sheet. I just don’t know what the heck I’m doing at all so I would probably want to have someone commission it?

On 1/26/2018 at 6:46 AM, pjtoadie said:

Wow some of those builds you all mentioned are crazy expensive but I’m not surprised. My wife wants to do Phasma one day but we’ll have to set aside a crazy amount of money lol. 

I finally heard back from Jim (jimmiroquai) and his full FOTK kit plus helmet is $850 with $200 in shipping to the US. Supposedly you won’t have to do a ton of modifying according to his FAQ sheet. I just don’t know what the heck I’m doing at all so I would probably want to have someone commission it?

Do you know how to use filler, spray cans, and sandpaper? Then you can do a Jimmi kit. It's probably the easiest available FOTK kit out there right now. Only minor modifications necessary, maybe some down/up-sizing of parts depending on your body type. You have all the info and help you will ever need and more here on these forums :) 

And yeah it's expensive, the things that make it expensive is all the other stuff: gaskets, boots, gloves, belt, pouches, blaster, neckseal, undersuit, nylon webbing, elastic, velcro, magnets, glues, tools etc etc etc.

38 minutes ago, Ensi said:

And yeah it's expensive, the things that make it expensive is all the other stuff: gaskets, boots, gloves, belt, pouches, blaster, neckseal, undersuit, nylon webbing, elastic, velcro, magnets, glues, tools etc etc etc.

PSA: This applies to all costumes, not just FOTK's. Keep it in mind when comparison shopping/pricing things out. An IOC uniform or TB may look cheaper but when you add it all up, it's always twice what you expect. :P

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody was wondering I have put some videos up with more to come, armour building with tk1636. I am trying to finish this kit without having to use bondo or paint, so hopefully I can get away without doing either.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TK1636 said:

If anybody was wondering I have put some videos up with more to come, armour building with tk1636. I am trying to finish this kit without having to use bondo or paint, so hopefully I can get away without doing either.

I you could post a thread in the FOTK build section with some links that would be great, many don't find info in threads as they don't go looking there ;) 

• Like 1