I need help !!!

Ok guys so everyone has been so helpful when I was building my TK a couple of years ago I am coming to you guys again for advice.

I met a local guy who has a kit that was built for him by a friend. (Looks like an AM kit) 

However this friend threw the kit together in 3 days!!!! ....and he did it using HOT GLUE and CA GLUE!!! 

To make matters worse he did not follow the CRL or any build threads and simply overlapped the pieces.

Now this guy has commissioned me to "fix it" and help get his armor 501st approved. I am having some difficulty getting some of the hot glue off but I think I can do it. The CA glue however is a different story. I have already broke part of the armor trying to separate one of the shins. Good news is that I was able to fix it and the break is under the now new cover strip so you don't see it.

I really want to help this guy and to be honest the challenge is a bit fun.

Is there a trick I need to know to separate pieces that have been glued with CA glue???

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Do not use acetone or goof off (acetone based) as these products will MELT your plastic!!!

Try placing the Armor into the freezer for 24hours. The freezing will cause the water base of the CA glue to micro fracture as it expands. This should be a good start, then follow up with a heat gun, (not too hot or this will also MELT your plastic) and a Razor knife along the edge basically cutting it free at that point. 

Good luck!!

Do not use acetone or goof off (acetone based) as these products will MELT your plastic!!!
Try placing the Armor into the freezer for 24hours. The freezing will cause the water base of the CA glue to micro fracture as it expands. This should be a good start, then follow up with a heat gun, (not too hot or this will also MELT your plastic) and a Razor knife along the edge basically cutting it free at that point. 
Good luck!!

How do you tell it’s melting? I’ve used goof off several times with mine. What should I be seeing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on how much you're using, but it is a solvent and it does soften up ABS. Try it on some scraps if you're curious. It's how we make ABS paste for repairs.

So this guy CA glued the shoulder bridges on before trimming. He also did the same with the ab plate buttons. UGH!
So is it worth it to try and remove them or just say to hell with it and keep it as is and move on to other problems I CAN fix?
Will this effect his basic approval?2101884b9747f4500a6d48b60da6d2ba.jpg27712a6aac0e34c3bdeb8623d2e68d6f.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

It depends on how much you're using, but it is a solvent and it does soften up ABS. Try it on some scraps if you're curious. It's how we make ABS paste for repairs.

Good to know thanks. While painting I had some issues and basically cleaned everything with it. Didn’t use a lot just a dab on a cloth. I was worried that at some point it weaken the plastic and the whole thing will melt off mid troop... that would be embarrassing. I guess if I haven’t see anything then I’m good but I’ll steer clear of it and not have to worry. Thanks.

Yeah, just don't soak it and let it sit in it. ABS paste is made by filling up a jar with scraps (quicker with thin small slivers) and then add acetone. The whole mess turns into something like toothpaste if the ratio is right. Keep a lid on it to keep the acetone from vaporising, leaving you with a jar of solid abs.

Yeah, just don't soak it and let it sit in it. ABS paste is made by filling up a jar with scraps (quicker with thin small slivers) and then add acetone. The whole mess turns into something like toothpaste if the ratio is right. Keep a lid on it to keep the acetone from vaporising, leaving you with a jar of solid abs.

Another thing that’s good to know. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Pledford said:

So this guy CA glued the shoulder bridges on before trimming. He also did the same with the ab plate buttons. UGH!
So is it worth it to try and remove them or just say to hell with it and keep it as is and move on to other problems I CAN fix?
Will this effect his basic approval?

I have heard that putting parts in the freezer and then prying apart can work, also some have had success with soaking parts in a very salty solution, may be worth a try. Applying pressure to pry the pieces apart is normally the only way.

Wouldn't hurt to contact your GML and show him/her your issues as ask for their input ;) 

13 minutes ago, Pledford said:

The freezer trick worked!!!! Had it in the freezer all day, used a knife and it popped right off! Here is a pic of them next to my armor.

Great news, onwards and beyond

• Like 1