Rats first TK build (Anovos)

Rat

Alright unfortunate turn of events. I made it out for a armor party and after talking with a couple of people and test fitting I've accepted that I am going to have to trim down my thighs. They're just a tad bit too long. They rest right about mid knee and so they must be trimmed.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

How tall are you?

Roughly 5'10", however in my test fitting my thigh armor is setting mid kneecap.

I should also add that happens with the top of the thigh touching my hip.

5'10" is about right for that armor without trimming. If fitted correctly the top of your thighs would contact your upper groin not your hip, unless you were referring to the sides of the thighs. Do you have average or shorter than average legs?

Apparently I do, perhaps I need to measure myself again. Shins are fine though.

Nope the peak of the thigh does.

5'10" is about right for that armor without trimming. If fitted correctly the top of your thighs would contact your upper groin not your hip, unless you were referring to the sides of the thighs. Do you have average or shorter than average legs?

• 2 weeks later...

Need to get those pictures still. I did however get an order in for some of Joseph's silicone hand guards and a DD hengstler for my blaster build.

Ooooo, delivery from everyone's favorite supplier. Thanks for the silicone hand plates Joseph.8fe1812dcce8d65b8f826609a2cf8d81.jpg

• Like 2

So I've finally got to work on trimming down my thighs. Just marked out the cut lines and will probably start the actual trimming tomorrow. I've been procrastinating doing this by working on other things like blasters. My Hengstler came in today and I've started collecting parts for a poor mans DLT-19 using the happy trooper plans but realized that I need to modify them a bit.d3e043c1e07ee12c58289601a1b252bf.jpg68f5d727d4b86287772209558e60164d.jpgcd9237daa4089b3eba4d7c746a6f1a1c.jpg52794c13191a50fdf008d6a292805717.jpg3cc5405c0ceeeec5afc0b335afb91335.jpg9c44024edaa8648113371393849630ed.jpg796258f659c29fe0250bf3d40cca3337.jpg892f9dad15a85443e97fed29f8f3af50.jpg8a654060b44d2f654857d3919256ec3b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally trimmed them by a 1/4" perhaps one more cut to be sure they fit well. Taking a 1/2" in total I think will be enough. My concern is losing the upper detail of the left side if I do. Does this matter?7832c67d40a1a6d79731b800492fffa9.jpg51538712b8e19113877358103e07ee38.jpg

I also noticed I'll most likely need to bring them in a bit as well.

Yeah not concerned about the return edge but more that odd notch at the top here, if I go another 1/4" I'll lose that almost completely.50cad55fa463639384aa7a92585f78f8.jpg

Your trim lines are all wrong. You do not want to mark off an equal amount all the way around the armour. You just want to take off the length/height - not the girth/sides which makes you lose the original shape, eventually. I have seen it done here a thousand times when people trim down parts. To make it easy to explain, imagine you wanted to trim down a simple box shape, you would just trim the top to make it shorter. You would not trim the sides as well. Does that make sense? That is why you would lose the notch by trimming the sides.

ArbdRIw.jpg

Edited by troopermaster
  • Like 2

Your trim lines are all wrong. You do not want to mark off an equal amount all the way around the armour. You just want to take off the length/height - not the girth/sides which makes you lose the original shape, eventually. I have seen it done here a thousand times when people trim down parts. To make it easy to explain, imagine you wanted to trim down a simple box shape, you would just trim the top to make it shorter. You would not trim the sides as well. Does that make sense? That is why you would lose the notch by trimming the sides.
ArbdRIw.jpg
Thanks Paul I'm not sure that I'll need to trim more though. Need to get them on for photos and some feedback before I move forward with any further trimming.

So finally got to trimming and I ended up only taking roughly a 1/4" off, plus removed a bit more return edge. Not a big update, but it is coming along. Also working on a DLT-19 and trying to salvage a THG E-11. So far the blasters are coming along just fine.e21b8b538adce7c627786748e6f897f8.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing what they look like all cleaned up.
Possibly gonna do it tomorrow.

• Like 1

ArbdRIw.jpg

Anyone reading this and hoping to trim their thighs watch out. I completely ruined the shape of mine by trimming an equal amount off all the way around the top. I ended up getting some new ones. I’m not sure the best way to do it although troop master’s technique seems a better approach than what I did but I can’t say for sure. Just be careful whatever approach you take.

Good luck with your build! I’m surprised you need to trim them with your height. Maybe you have a long torso?

Anyone reading this and hoping to trim their thighs take troop master’s advice. I completely ruined the shape of mine by trimming an equal amount off all the way around. I ended up getting some new ones. I’m not sure the best way to do it although troop master’s technique seems a better approach than what I did.

Good luck with your build! I’m surprised you need to trim them with your height. Maybe you have a long torso?

Yeah long torso and shorter thighs.

Similar with me. Longer torso proportionally. Plus I’m shorter overall. I ended trimming my shins. Leaving my new thighs as is and I’m probably going to cut the cod and move it up slightly to give a bit of clearance.

• Like 1