Bud Spaklur

Bud Spaklur’s ANH Stunt Build (AP)

Congrats Matt! I've been keeping up with your build and it was a fun ride. Good job grinding through it with all that you (undoubtedly) have on your plate as a parent, etc. I know how that goes... Just wanted you to know that those following behind you (like me) benefit greatly from your 'pitfalls'. If every build was perfect and uneventful, it'd be kinda boring right? I don't mean to imply that your build was full of pitfalls, only that I learned from it. and... the finished product looks great!  :)

Thanks!

• Like 2

Congrats Matt! I've been keeping up with your build and it was a fun ride. Good job grinding through it with all that you (undoubtedly) have on your plate as a parent, etc. I know how that goes... Just wanted you to know that those following behind you (like me) benefit greatly from your 'pitfalls'. If every build was perfect and uneventful, it'd be kinda boring right? I don't mean to imply that your build was full of pitfalls, only that I learned from it. and... the finished product looks great!  

Thanks!

Hey Linus, thanks for the kind words. And your first statement about pitfalls was accurate, there were many. I didn’t realize you were following the thread. I am by no means an expert, but it’s still very fresh in my mind. If you have any questions, and while there are many more “qualified” builders to go to first, feel free to reach out.

Just curious, what armor kit are you working with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so I’m tinkering around with the electronics and velcroed in the chest plate, the iComm box and Aker amp. I tried it on and it felt fine. :403d74a858144537ba780bdd5bc48c35.jpg

I left enough room to clear my wireless blue tooth mic receiver which plugs into the Icomm. The problem I found is that if I want to use the Icomm with the Bluetooth mic, I have to talk very loudly for it to register my voice. I’ve tried talking into the mic from every angle, but still have the issue.

If I want to just use the amp with my regular voice and the Bluetooth mic, it fits like so:fa1fe86f3e7e6308555fe55ff697850d.jpg

I’m also thinking of making a pocket and fitting it for my cell phone in the ab here (and it will fit perfectly):8941c96a04f66f70d7cf5e991b241f26.jpg

So, my question to all of you who have been trooping and use electronics, do you use an amp with Icomm and hardwired mic, blue tooth mic? No Icomm and just an amp with mic? Just curious. I like the static bursts and sound the Icomm makes, so I’m leaning towards having just the Icomm, amp, and the hardwired mic and running it up my neckseal.

Let me know all your thoughts.

Congrats Mark, you look fantastic.  Next step Expert Infantry:salute: you got this.

• Like 1

Welcome to the NER Matt!  I know we've been talking the last few days but wanted to pop over here as well :)

We have a bunch of guys that use the icomm, akers and all the other electronics and mike set ups so once you are out trooping you can probably see a couple of different sets up as they all do it differently hahaha!  We have some pretty technical guys too, who work out great systems for fans and those usb battery packs in their helmets - making it all fit and still work great.  Dave Clampffer is one of them, and like me he's right down the road in Neptune (and often at my house making armor and mods lol).  You'll have to join the crew!

• Like 1

Congrats Mark, you look fantastic.  Next step Expert Infantry:salute: you got this.

It’s Matt, but close enough. : p

• Like 2

Welcome to the NER Matt!  I know we've been talking the last few days but wanted to pop over here as well

We have a bunch of guys that use the icomm, akers and all the other electronics and mike set ups so once you are out trooping you can probably see a couple of different sets up as they all do it differently hahaha!  We have some pretty technical guys too, who work out great systems for fans and those usb battery packs in their helmets - making it all fit and still work great.  Dave Clampffer is one of them, and like me he's right down the road in Neptune (and often at my house making armor and mods lol).  You'll have to join the crew!

Definitely will. It’s a good opportunity to get a break from my kids!

Hi Matt,

Regarding the electronics, I’ve not run wireless myself but have seen this question raised quite a few times. From what I’ve read, quite a few people have had issues, such as interference with other electronics (or other troopers) and have switched back to wired.

Personally, I just run my TRamp (an aker with a twist ) with the wire running up under my neck seal. No extra batteries or setting up, just works a treat. :-)

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

Regarding the electronics, I’ve not run wireless myself but have seen this question raised quite a few times. From what I’ve read, quite a few people have had issues, such as interference with other electronics (or other troopers) and have switched back to wired.

Personally, I just run my TRamp (an aker with a twist ) with the wire running up under my neck seal. No extra batteries or setting up, just works a treat. :-)

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking I’ll be doing too. Do you mind PMing me a picture of the mic you’re using? I have the one that came with the amp and it seems to work the best with it, but I want to break the hard metal wire that goes on your head and ears (the headset part) and just put the mic in the helmet...does what I just said make sense?

Got my screws from Eric in the mail (thx buddy). I’ll be making the TD change probably tomorrow. Then all I need is the D-ring and will try for EIB.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bud Spaklur said:

Got my screws from Eric in the mail (thx buddy). I’ll be making the TD change probably tomorrow. Then all I need is the D-ring and will try for EIB.

You're welcome Matt, happy to help! Good luck, you've got this!

I had great luck at Home Depot for the D-Ring, they had a scrap length of black chain the right size, some of the links had chips out of the paint. They just gave me the length for free and I ended up with a couple good links for my blaster and my buddy's blaster.

9 hours ago, Scimitar said:

You're welcome Matt, happy to help! Good luck, you've got this!

I had great luck at Home Depot for the D-Ring, they had a scrap length of black chain the right size, some of the links had chips out of the paint. They just gave me the length for free and I ended up with a couple good links for my blaster and my buddy's blaster.

Troopers Helping Troopers :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Ok, so I’ve got my first troop on Sunday at a convention. So now I’m hustling to get al my electronics situated and placed in a comfortable spot. I am so glad I did the Velcro throughout. I velcroed the battery in the back, ran the helmet fan wires along the bottom of the helmet and used toothed side Velcro to hold the wires in place. I then put toothed side of Velcro on the back of the fans and got em in a place that fits nicely and circulates air across my face and near the lenses to keep them from digging up. 267a5a326ec83bfd22474ff16d0f7bc4.jpg

Now I’m going to situate the mic.

• Like 1

Finally decided to cut the wire off completely. Took awhile but I got the mic perfectly lined up and velcroed into place: 7a13d464f8e97dacf597c0382477319b.jpg

Now off to bed. Until tomorrow.

Ok, my first troop is Sunday, so I’m still getting some things together. A buddy of mine who is in tech sales give me this extra usb battery pack the size of a very small wallet:60ca74ddbc5641b3b4e228010cf91944.jpg. What’s nice is it’s got suction cups on the entire back and fits nicely in the ab to the left of where I’ll put my phone. 692f4da3bfca84d90d5be45f53169c5b.jpg Granted, I’ll probably have no need for my phone while trooping, but I’d like to have my phone in case of any sort of emergency....never know.

• Like 1

Wouldn't hurt to add a little Velcro too in case the cups loose suction.

Good luck on your first troop, make sure you stay hydrated and if you need to take a break have one, don't push your self ;) 

• Like 2

First troop Sunday, that’s exciting! :-)

Regarding the speaker placement, you might have already tried this but, having the speaker facing your undersuit will muffle the sound some what. Having it facing the armour gives a brighter sound. It’s just preference.

Good luck for Sunday. As Q said, drink lots, takes breaks, have an awesome time!! :-)

• Like 1

First troop Sunday, that’s exciting! :-)

Regarding the speaker placement, you might have already tried this but, having the speaker facing your undersuit will muffle the sound some what. Having it facing the armour gives a brighter sound. It’s just preference.

Good luck for Sunday. As Q said, drink lots, takes breaks, have an awesome time!! :-)

Good call on the amp. Going to flip that around.

• Like 1

Just in time! Got this custom pad for the bottom of my bin:082bbfbabbf55c48c3e6e02516e3dbca.jpgd46458083fd340ddccea8c259ab1272e.jpg
The inner walls are lined with black fleece, glued on with E6000.

And, got these decals made and just got them too:09b9f1011fbb63d493723112e4de07b8.jpg

Will take pics later with the decals on the bin!

• Like 2

Have a great time on your Troop Mat - that’s the reward for all your hard work:salute:

• Like 1

Decals came out great:

b06ed5f62654f5ff9217cc4dcc83b452.jpg&key=9a339ad2cdb014ac9ad76bd0e92f355538f92ffbbc0ac0c8d575a05078e986c7

I’m going to do a test run of suiting up in a bit, then put it all away. Question: has anyone used “TK Chatter” loop off YouTube ever during a troop?

• Like 2