Chris788's RMQ stormtrooper

chris788

On 7/2/2023 at 7:32 PM, Sly11 said:

@chris788, when the time comes, I can speak with your GML's regarding the CRL and your helmet.

I'm personal friends with your GCO Andy and have already started to discuss things with him so you will be fine with the helmet you have.

Thanks, The helmets I believe have been previously approved back in the day, it is one of the Kevin Weir ones!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some actual decent photos to make a list of what needs adjusting before submitting, but welcome feedback too!

1) Change straps to grey. I made these black initially for two reasons. First was, some of the original action figures actually had black under suits, and given I already had an abundance of black webbing and elastic plus an existing black under suit from my OT TK (IMO Should be an option in the CRL). Second was that the original under suits that the original crew used were Nike sportswear which has been out of production for years, and getting a grey under suit was near impossible (it took me years of looking before I stumbled on the one I currently have, and the quality is not great so I cant imagine it's going to last long!)

2) Paint grey detail under arm (between chest and back armor) and on belt (looking face on, left of center belt box small square needs to be painted grey) 

3) Add Cod strap

4) Source more accurate boot (+ paint sole white/grey. not in CRL but should be added if CRL updated) 

5) Under suit on legs could be better fitted. 

6) Feedback from detachment on detail on back of helmet. There is an indented triangle pattern, and as the build/ assembly thread on the concept forums were never quite completed on this helmet variant, seems open to interpretation as to whether should be painted. I'd suggest they're painted black, but would prefer to clarify with detachment. 

7) Neck ring/ yoke was initially designed to be separate from the chest piece, then was later updated in Kevs build thread on the RMQ forums in a comment that he changed the design slightly, and suggested glue to chest piece and where connects to shoulders to attach via Velcro. I'm going to glue the two together with E6000 and see how it wears (hopefully sits better and gets rid of the gap between the Yoke and Chest plate) and if no issues, can glue more permanently later. 

8) Belt boxes are off in the picture, the initial build instructions showed one connector to fix the box to the belt but that leaves too much movement, so looking to add a second connector on the inside to stop them being able to twist while wearing.

9) Run strapping to the biceps to allow consistent height 

53052215650_565ca8b3ed_k.jpg

53052310573_4cf212293b_k.jpg

53052215625_77439dee00_k.jpg

53052310543_5bf5654f06_k.jpg

53052016604_f187669522_k.jpg

53052310488_579ea019a7_k.jpg

53051244167_717b6fa5ec_k.jpg

53052310483_4173971c33_k.jpg

Edited by chris788
Added additional content.
  • Like 2

Looking good.

I would however try to bring the helmet down a little, remove some padding if youcan.

Adding the cod strap with help to prevent your posterior pushing backwards

53051244167_717b6fa5ec_k.thumb.jpg.d5d05b6623fe36b9653354328b0a8e52.jpg

Also should help the gap between the posterior and your thighs, if not you may need to trim them a little so you aren't hitting when you walk.

53052310483_4173971c33_k.thumb.jpg.78aaa77585f0986e76a7667fdb2d1865.jpg

• Like 1

The thighs do look like they have some girth at the top you could trim down to fit which also would help them sit in from the but plate.

If we also look at the original sketches and the action figure we can see the taper at the bottom of the thighs and at the top of the shins is very close to the same width.

You could also trim your shins to more closely resemble this look where currently the top of the shins are wider than the bottom of the thighs.

Yyp08GB.jpg

• Like 1

Good feedback. Might have to dig about a bit to see the best method for achieving these. I'd say the thighs are a little roomy, but probably not much room to take in? I'll have a closer look and see how much space could be saved. It will be a matter of taking a wedge out of the side and re-closing/filling/re-painting.  No mentions anywhere on size or requirements of return edges, so that's going to be left to interpretation. 

As for the shins, I do agree with you Sly, I did build to the standard build lines on the armor, I'm unsure really how far I could pull them in without losing any of the factory details as the way that these are made there is not much room for modification.  I could definitely reduce the width of the rear closure, which will pull them in somewhat, that's really the only place on the shin to be able to remove material, will definitely be able to reduce the total diameter but wouldn't be enough to bring into line with the bottom thickness of the thigh, and closing the thighs up more will exaggerate this. 

https://databank.501st.com/databank/File:Stormtrooper_Concept_Shins.jpg

This will take some thinking, don't want to rush into cutting the parts until I can get a vision of the end result. 

I have much more of a gap between the bottom of the Knees and top of the Shin, would love to have them sit with a small gap like the reference photo, I have room to move the whole thigh piece down, which the ab/kidney plate could come down more provided I can get the butt plate to come in with the cod strap fixed. Again no mention of return edges, so the sizing I have is the makers size, and if no return edges are needed I can definitely cut a bit into the buttplate to give some more room, but as it sits at the moment, there is the issue the ab could come down, but currently the kidney could not. Worst case, I could take like a half inch or so strip off the top of the buttplate to help raise it up and create a smaller total buttplate leaving a slight return edge on the bottom side, but can look at that after I get a cod strap fitted and see how it looks. 

rmqfeedback.png

• Like 1

Good move to deeply consider everything before making any adjustments Chris.

Mine are merely suggestions for the symmetry of the costume, looks like the CRL model had similar issues and indeed could be they way the armour was formed, a little oversized in some areas.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

Good move to deeply consider everything before making any adjustments Chris.

Mine are merely suggestions for the symmetry of the costume, looks like the CRL model had similar issues and indeed could be they way the armour was formed, a little oversized in some areas.

I'm keen to make the improvements, providing some are possible! aha. The shins are definitely oversized in make, I'm concerned if I adjust the thighs, it'll make the shins look worse, so If I can figure them out first, the rest should be a breeze. 

• 3 months later...

Good news!

Finally made the required changes, and have just been approved! Little longer than I had planned, but slow progress is better than no progress!

Taken on most of the advice here, and am happy to wear the FISD badge again!

53275353137_e6d9ab654c_c.jpg

53276244146_a5913eb74e_c.jpg

53276714120_f3b7d51c6b_c.jpg

53276714130_2bc605de8a_c.jpg

53276526758_0ddab1f405_c.jpg

53276714185_c21d6fc26d_c.jpg

53276599874_809c40a1c3_c.jpg

53275353192_8ff59ee289_c.jpg

53276599924_1a79388a6c_c.jpg

53276714230_f389f970c0_c.jpg

Edited by chris788
  • Like 5

Congratulations trooper and welcome back to the ranks, don't forget to request TK access here :duim::salute:

• Like 1

Congratulations Chris, and DAMN! You nailed the symmetry on the legs. Looks fantastic.

Welcome back as a full member of FISD :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Congratulations Chris, and DAMN! You nailed the symmetry on the legs. Looks fantastic.

Welcome back as a full member of FISD :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Thanks all! Been many moons since I've worn a TK prefix!

Thanks, I think getting the legs right makes a huge difference in a kit, so I wanted to be extra careful on them!