TK Pre-Approval Program Overview

WHAT THIS PROGRAM IS:

A dedicated forum where members can submit their completed stormtrooper costume for peer review prior to formal submission to their GML Your armor will be reviewed and suggestions made by the FISD Staff and Imperial Attaché team, but detachment members can also provide peer review on any submission.  All feedback provided will be specific, constructive, respectful, and helpful.   Any feedback that is deemed negative, derogatory, inflammatory, or otherwise offensive will be deleted, and the poster can be subject to account suspension for repeated offenses.  You may also be provided suggestions for attaining the rank of EI (Expert Infantry) and Centurion levels should you wish to pursue higher levels of screen accuracy.

WHAT THIS PROGRAM IS NOT:

This program is not a replacement for the GML approval process, as Detachments are not charted to approve costumes for membership.  While a costume that passes Detachment peer review should be in a state to be accepted by a GML, Detachments cannot override a GMLs decision, nor are GMLs bound to accept the ruling of a detachment costume approval.  That said, as a general rule the goal is that any costume that passes peer-review approval should be accepted by a 501st GML.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO SUBMIT:

You will need to post up various high quality photos of your armor/accessories on the list below, as well as the basic information listed next to it.  We realize that this is more information than normally required for basic approval, but we want you to look your best!   Also, please include the name(s) of any approved Trooper(s) who have significantly helped you with your build.

Yes, we are asking for more photos and information than are normally needed for basic approval.  The reason being is that we feel it gives us a better overall view, and we can catch things that may be missed should  the recruit want to move to level 2.

PHOTOS:                                                                                                     INFORMATION:

1.  Front view (arms down)                                                                           1.  First/last name

2.  Back view (arms down)                                                                            2.  Future Garrison/Squad/Outpost or local area

3.  Left side (arms raised)                                                                             3.  Armor maker

4.  Right side (arms raised)                                                                           4.  Helmet maker

5.  Ab plate close-up                                                                                     5.  Cloth belt maker

6.  Helmet close-up (front, left and right sides)                                                6.  Neck seal maker

7.  Detail photos of any parts you have questions on                                        7.  Boot maker

8.  Interior strapping (optional)                                                                      9.  Blaster maker (if applicable

10.  Gasket maker (if applicable)

11.  Height  (optional)

12.  weight (optional)

13.  TK type (ANH Stunt/Hero. ESB, ROTJ. TFA etc.)

14.  Name(s) of any Trooper(s) who significantly helped with your 

build.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR POSTING YOUR REVIEW REQUEST:

1.  Go to the Request Pre Approval thread:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/193-request-tk-pre-approval/

2.  Click on Start New Topic.  This is located on the left of the blue "Reply to this Topic" option near the top of the page.

3.  In the Title area, post the following information:  (Fisd screen name) Requesting Pre Approval Review, followed by the armorer who made your kit in parentheses.

Example:  MegaTrooper123 Requesting Pre Approval Review (Anovos)

4.  Post all required photos/information (as listed above).

HELPFUL LINKS:

1.  Where can I get in touch with my GML/Garrison?  http://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php

2.  Where can I choose my official TK number?  http://www.501st.com/members/search_avail_ids.php

3.  How do I join the 501st Legion?  http://www.501st.com/members/join_form.php

4.  What do I do once I am approved?  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16-501st-trooper-status-requests-include-link-to-your-501st-profile-in-your-request/

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WHY WE ARE DOING THIS:
Not every garrison has responsive GMLs, and even those that do are not always experts in the stormtrooper costumes.  Costume peer review provides members with a supplemental feedback on items that need to be fixed prior to approval, as well as other feedback that will help the overall fit and finish.
Catching errors earlier will result in increased confidence a build will pass GML review and thus save GMLs time.  It will also provide GMLs insight in to a sounding board beyond the GML peer review area on the 501st boards.

Additionally it provides non-GML forum members the opportunity to learn about and gain experience in the costume judging process.  This is valuable because it can provide people considering being a GML real-world experience before accepting the role, and provides GCOs a potential pool of people experienced in costume judging who may not have yet served as a GML.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
1. Any feedback that is negative, derogatory, inflammatory, or otherwise offensive should be reported immediately, will be deleted, and the poster may be subject to account suspension for repeated offenses.

2.  Feedback should follow the same format that Deployment Officers use, e.g. for each item to fix they will be marked as “must fix”, “should fix”, “could fix”.

3.  “Approval” only covers base 501st acceptance (aka L1).  Expert Infantryman (L2) and Centurion (L3) standards can be cited only for “could fix” items and are never “must fix”.

4.  For GMLs, this is intended to catch errors early to make your lives easier. This is not a replacement for what you do.  Additionally, since detachments can't approve costumes, there is no concern that a Detachment will override a GML decision. 

5.  For GCOs, an advantage is that a 501st member in their garrison can gain experience in the costume review part of being a GML before they take on the role officially, and this may also for their Garrison provide an outlet for people considering being a GML, and a pool of experienced members should they need to fill that role.

6.  For FB users, other TK Facebook pages can offer advice on their site that may or may not be correct.  FISD is the official Detachment run by experienced 501st costume approvers the world over, and this is a service we can provide prospective and current 501st members that a FB group cannot. 

• Like 16

This is going to be a very helpful program to many of the new recruits.  I can't wait to see who the first participant will be!!  Everyone have some fun with this and remember we are troopers helping troopers!

• Like 5

This will be a great resource for people! I remember a few weeks ago when I submitted my initial photos to my GML and I was sweating it pretty hard. This would have made it a little less nerve wracking.

• Like 2

When I first started, I was nervous to share my TK build.  But with a lot of support from the FISD staff and members, I was able to make it to Centurion.      Looking forward to helping new members and welcome to the FISD!

This should especially be good for new to the 501st prospects who have no other approved costumes. It will give them some insight into the process. Kudos!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great idea.  I was a GML many years ago and asked Detachments for advice a lot.  If a prospective member submitted an app and noted it was "FISD approved", I wouldn't hesitate to approve him on the spot.  It would have saved me a whole lotta time.

Headdesk. After a few weeks of no new activity on my build, today I was finally able to wrangle help for getting my armor to fit well and all the standard photos. When I perused here I found this, which is pretty much exactly what I wanted to do before submitting to my GML! :angry::duim:  So soon there will be another day of careful armor fitting and shooting. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there anyway / anywhere to get approval/comments on parts?  This would be useful I am slowly drawing up and 3D printing my own armour (which I throw on thingiverse) so it would be very useful to get each part "signed off" / fixed up so it meets the standard expected as I go along. 

Sure, the first part is done. It is  released under GPL licence including the source file for Fusion360 if anyone wants to download, edit and / or print it, incls pictures here,

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2086170

I have tried to match it visually off the screenshots I have seen of it so I have no physical example to work with.  One huge learning curve......  

5 minutes ago, gzcwnk said:

Actually I can see at least 2 others have passed me, so I am wasting my time I suspect.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2657609/#files

Just because someone else is working on a similar project does not mean you can not continue with yours, you may find you have more of an eye for the details.

Have you started a build thread? would be nice to share your work in progress and some photos.

This program is more for the completed costume before GML approval, a work in progress build thread is just the place to show off your work and receive feedback ;) 

19 minutes ago, gzcwnk said:

Hi, in my first post I did ask for advice on how people thought it would be best to do this, where would I go to start a build thread?

In the Costuming and Builds section there are build areas for TFA armor you could start a build thread here For TLJ here

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gzcwnk said:

Actually I can see at least 2 others have passed me, so I am wasting my time I suspect.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2657609/#files

You're not wasting your time. As Glen mentioned start a build thread we'll follow. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/1/2018 at 9:30 PM, TK bondservnt said:

Very impressed overall for the adoption of this program.  A resource much more helpful than just winging it into the EIB program!

Kudos!

Do you know where to find a good guide to build AP bucket?  I bought an AP bucket and am looking for detailed thread or video to put it together.  I appreciate any guidance.