Joby619 Anovos TK Build 2018

joby619

Here is some background info:

Ordered on 12/19/16

Arrived 01/05/2018

This will be my first build.  Going to try to follow ukswraths anovos build as my guide.  Another member showed me that there is a build party nearby on Sunday so I will try to attend that as well.  I’ve been looking forward to receiving this kit and can’t wait to dive in.

• Like 1

Nothing better than a BBB, hope you have done your research and aiming for Centurion straight off the bat, a little more work but a rewarding experience.

5 minutes ago, Padewan-solo said:

Congratulations!
Could you please post link to the vendor you used?

If you look on the box the vendors name is there, just do a google search ;) 

Just finished my first day of building.  I originally planned to use tin snips to do all the rough cutting, but quickly abandoned that idea.  The youtube vids make it look so easy, but it was definitely not my cup of tea.  I ended up using the score and snap method and it seemed to work a lot better for me.  I did however experience my first tear when I was working on the shoulder bell.  Looks like I will need some paste to correct.  Here are my photo updates:

Supply run:

sdcnFE4.jpg

End of day one:

ViWfvAm.jpg

Quick update on my build.  Not as much progress as I would have liked, but I guess family time is more important than building my armor.  I fitted my forearms and biceps and am currently working on my shins.

The Anovos "Shingate" problem is real.  After switching my shins around a couple of hundred times and reading through a bunch of other anovos build threads, I've come to the conclusion that #24 & #27 go on the left while #25 & #28 go on the right.  Even with this final "answer", I am still having a lot of difficulty fitting them.  No matter what I try, it seems like it requires too much force to keep them closed and the alignment just seems off.  Here are a couple of pic updates:

Forearm return edge trimming:

l9YZXlo.jpg

Bicep return edge trimming in progress:

geULSIE.jpg

Right Back Shin Alignment 25&28 

Ft97am3.jpg

Regarding the shins, even the original armor didn`t have them correct all the time (two inside parts together and so on) so just try and find which ever works for you and in general the inside part has a shorter swoop, conforming to the muscle..either way, the important thing is to aligne the top and cut the bottom :)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the hard part was done since I am done fitting my limbs with the exception of the bottom of the shins since I am waiting for my boots so I started to glue inner strips to my armor.  While the glue was waiting to dry, I decided to work on what I figured was the easy part; building the line 24 snap straps.  Boy was I wrong.  I'd much rather trim and sand armor than build snaps.  I bought the 100 pack of tandy line 24 snaps and attempted to snap 5 female snaps onto nylon webbing.  I am 0 for 5 at this point.  Shaft seems way too long for webbing and just keeps bending.  I found an on going thread selling the nylon strips with holes already made, but does someone sell the a kit of tandy line 24 snaps premade?  

Here are the photo updates.

ALvmEuW.jpg

PZsaP4X.jpg

After glueing the front of the thighs, the back of the thighs are a little too pointy so I will probably have to do additional trimming before glueing the back

x5VWcis.jpg

39 minutes ago, joby619 said:

I thought the hard part was done since I am done fitting my limbs with the exception of the bottom of the shins since I am waiting for my boots so I started to glue inner strips to my armor.  While the glue was waiting to dry, I decided to work on what I figured was the easy part; building the line 24 snap straps.  Boy was I wrong.  I'd much rather trim and sand armor than build snaps.  I bought the 100 pack of tandy line 24 snaps and attempted to snap 5 female snaps onto nylon webbing.  I am 0 for 5 at this point.  Shaft seems way too long for webbing and just keeps bending.  I found an on going thread selling the nylon strips with holes already made, but does someone sell the a kit of tandy line 24 snaps premade?  

Here are the photo updates.

ALvmEuW.jpg

PZsaP4X.jpg

After glueing the front of the thighs, the back of the thighs are a little too pointy so I will probably have to do additional trimming before glueing the back

x5VWcis.jpg

Oh snaps.  I had the same problem with the female ends, especially with elastic webbing for some reason.  I found if you held the snap down tightly and guide the setting tool by letting it rest in your hand (unless you have three arms, then ignore), that it was less likely to bend the shaft.  When I was firmly holding the setting tool and not really holding the snap, I couldn't tell when things were sitting flat in the anvil and I would bend the shaft after a few light hits with the hammer.  I think I finally have it figured out - but I went through a lot of female snaps before getting there .  The male end seems much easier for whatever reason.  Anyway - you are not alone on your snap frustrations.  I didn't even think to see if someone was selling these pre-made, so I have no idea about that.

Thanks for the reply.  I just submitted an order for a snap press from goldstartool.  Hopefully it works well with the Tandy snaps.  The press was $70, but after failing terribly at building snaps last night, I do not even want to continue to try to hammer 60+ snaps to complete my armor.  I honestly thought it was going to be easy to do the snaps.  Lesson learned.

The snap press arrived yesterday and enabled me to complete 20 snap plates in less than 5 mins. It works well with my Tandy Line 24 snaps.

3LnP6vb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by joby619
embed image

The snap press arrived yesterday and enabled me to complete 20 snap plates in less than 5 mins. It works well with my Tandy Line 24 snaps.

https://i.imgur.com/3LnP6vb.jpg

Now make 1000 more and you can sell them on here. You’ll pay for that snap press in no time!

• Like 1

I am starting to fit my torso, BUT am having problems with the top of the ab to kidney connection.  The top part goes kidney leans inward while the bottom pulls apart.  Not sure how to fix this.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

8LuM89y.jpg

nBE9mYZ.jpg

I tried making the lower connection strap tighter on the right side, but not sure if its better or worse.

trSfGgO.jpg