TK-61515 Requesting ANH Stunt EIB Status WTF [791]

Mandatory Information

Name: Andrew Huckey

Garrison: Carolina

TK ID: 61515

FISD ID: djmatrix09

Profile Page: https://www.501st.com/members/displaymemberdetails.php?userID=26928

Armor Maker = Walt’s Trooper Factory (WTF)

Helmet Maker = Walt’s Trooper Factory (WTF)

Blaster Type = Rubies, w/3D Printed Greeblies, and Dremel Work

Optional

Height = 5’11”

Weight = 195lbs

Boots Maker = TK Boots

Canvas belt = Homemade

Hand Plates Type = ABS (from WTF)

Electronics = N/A

Neck Seal Type = Darman

Holster Maker = Darman

Link to Armour WIP: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/41653-Andrew's-First-Build---WTF-ANH-Stunt-TK

Link to blaster build: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/41216-Cheapo-Rubies-3D-Print-E11-Build

3_Left.jpg

1_Front.jpg

2_Back.jpg

4_Right.jpg

5_Right Arms Raised.jpg

6_Left Arms Raised.jpg

7_Abdomen.jpg

8_Action Shot.jpg

9a_Cod.jpg

9b_Butt Plate Attachment.jpg

10_Interior Strapping.jpg

11_Helmet front .jpg

12a_Helmet side.jpg

12b_Helmet side.jpg

13_Helmet back.jpg

14_Hovi tip detail.jpg

15_Lens Color.jpg

16_Blaster left.jpg

17a_Blaster right.jpg

17b_Blaster dring.jpg

18_Neck Seal.jpg

19_Thermal Detonator.jpg

20_Holster Attachment.jpg

Great application mate!

It’s a little hard to see in the pic but I assume the sniper knee plate is aligned with the shin ridges? It looks to be so disregard if so!

Not sure if the TD clips are meant to overlap the control panel. That might just be my OCD though.

Do you have black elastic holding the shoulder bells in place? Again it’s probably the pics.

Are you planning on going onwards to Centurion? 

Looking great though. I’m sure you’ve got this. 

• Like 1

Great application mate!
It’s a little hard to see in the pic but I assume the sniper knee plate is aligned with the shin ridges? It looks to be so disregard if so!
Not sure if the TD clips are meant to overlap the control panel. That might just be my OCD though.
Do you have black elastic holding the shoulder bells in place? Again it’s probably the pics.
Are you planning on going onwards to Centurion? 

Looking great though. I’m sure you’ve got this. 
Thanks! No, I'm just going for EIB with this kit. Trying to keep within my budget. Ha! The sniper knee is aligned, yep. Also, I use 1" strapping coming off the shoulder bridge white elastic and snap in place.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nice build, Andrew! Crazy that the same kit can fit me (5' 3") and you (5' 11") :)

I'm wondering if you might need to change your ab shims; it's hard to tell but the CRL says that for EIB they can have visible seams but they should be flush. Yours look like they might be sitting under the ab/kidney. 

Also this is definitely due to your height, but in some of the photos it looks like the bottom of the chest might be slipping slightly under the top of the ab.

• Like 1

Nice build, Andrew! Crazy that the same kit can fit me (5' 3") and you (5' 11")

I'm wondering if you might need to change your ab shims; it's hard to tell but the CRL says that for EIB they can have visible seams but they should be flush. Yours look like they might be sitting under the ab/kidney. 

Also this is definitely due to your height, but in some of the photos it looks like the bottom of the chest might be slipping slightly under the top of the ab.
The shims are under the ab and kidney plate, yes. My torso is pretty thick and I trimmed only the flash off of the WTF casts. So I used the provided shim stock to make the shim, see the strapping photo for the backside.

I think my shoulder white elastic could be adjusted slightly to improve the alignment of the kidney to the ab plate. I noticed the kidney is about 1" higher than it should be.

Thanks for the keen eyes!

So a couple critiques.

1. I know it was mentioned, but your shims need to fit seamlessly with your armor to just look like an extension. This will need to be addressed.

2. The front of the belt should be flush and below the abdominal button box.

3. Honorable mention: the TD screws are not Phillips head. They should be a slotted dome screw. (for centurion)

4. The cod rivet should be brass (for centurion)

Good Luck with your submission.

Good Job!

• Like 1

Thank you shashachu and illusionz_09 for the feedback. I suited back up and had my wife mark where the shim overlap occurs. With my trusty xacto knife, I scored the lines and snapped the material. They're goofy trapezoid shapes, but they fit the gap flush now. I also made the slight belt dressing adjustment as well so it sits just below the ab buttons.

It is challenging getting the shim perfect once the belt is on, but it looks really good. I will say the WTF armor isn't necessarily built for a person thicker in the waist. My body type is just slightly thicker in the mid section and thighs.

Again, thanks for the sharp observations, and here's hoping my EIB passes. Cheers! 079a3a36ddb0f1f75ce2d78449c20e38.jpg4b8d62c2c2e96dfecbaabdeeb78e4b24.jpg85dcabb7643c1835bbd991fab104e341.jpge2acf7a3756519365a15d704f267ba2c.jpgf879f8e8f9e3a4ad85315d6fd67cf5aa.jpga7fda526ca4482a679a886a88e4f9685.jpg

Great job raising the belt. Snaps will help keep that in place. Good job trimming the shims down. I believe the CRL states only one seam with a space no more then 1/2". Yours now have 2. I think Andrew or Tony may ask about that. Your sniper knee looks like it is hanging past on the side in your photo. That could use a trim before it snags and rips off. The ears on your bucket look thick on the bottom from the pictures you have. Besides those few things great job with your build and Good Luck!

You'll be Expert before you know it!:duim:

• Like 1

Great job raising the belt. Snaps will help keep that in place. Good job trimming the shims down. I believe the CRL states only one seam with a space no more then 1/2". Yours now have 2. I think Andrew or Tony may ask about that. Your sniper knee looks like it is hanging past on the side in your photo. That could use a trim before it snags and rips off. The ears on your bucket look thick on the bottom from the pictures you have. Besides those few things great job with your build and Good Luck!
You'll be Expert before you know it!:duim:
Thanks for the comments, Magni. I think you're right, I'll just need to wait on Tony and Andy. This shim situation is becoming a frustrating endeavor.

I'll keep the sniper idea in mind, though I think the picture makes the overhang worse than it actually is. At the last armor party, I learned to pitch the sniper forward a bit, to ensure my kneecaps aren't sliced open. Great tip! Though as a result of the forward tilt, it makes the lower edge pucker out. Something to tweak before Centurion.

In my build log, I went back to the ears a few times. My hugenormous noggin is partially to blame, when I was fitting the cap and back to the face plate, I pitched it so my head would fit. I've seen a couple of EIB WTF passes with thicker ears, so I'm confident it will hold up. Definitely going to trim them way down before Centurion (as well as upgrading my blaster per Tony's input).

• Like 1

I've been doing some research into the ab/kidney shim EIB requirement, and it stems from early pre-2010 troopers with canvas or vinyl shims in that region. The intent, from previous discussions and CRL polls, was to encourage like-material shims and eliminate black peeking through the armor. Another concern was wrinkled fabric or wavy velcro/plastic which didn't provide a finished, closed look.

To that effect, I think my solution is adequate to fulfill the spirit of the accuracy requirement.

Another option would be to use ABS paste, and spare trim stock and hopefully not ruin my armor. The risk, to me, outweighs the reward because potentially scrapping my armor doesn't seem like a reasonable trade.

I’ll be watching to see how this shim plays out as I was planning on having to extend the existing piece rather than introducing what for me could be called a love handle plate. 
I never knew a suit of plastic space trooper armor could make me so self conscious of my love handles. LMAO

With what you have now should get you EIB. Seams are allowed and it is like material. So you're covered there. But I hope you dont stop there. You already have the pcs. Just need a backer pc and some paste and some sand and polish you could go Centurion! Hopefully:duim:

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, illusionz_09 said:

4. The cod rivet should be brass (for centurion)

Not sure about this one. The CRL doesn't mention brass, and the latest approved Centurion submission had a nickel plated, not brass, cod rivet.

• Like 1

Alright Andrew thanks again for your patience. Before we proceed Andrew and I are requesting you secure the side shims. Secure them to the Kidney then place the rivets in the proper locations as illustrated below. Afterwards please post an updated photo. Thank you

left%20shim%203.jpggallery_12157_16_598.jpg

• Like 1

Alright Andrew thanks again for your patience. Before we proceed Andrew and I are requesting you secure the side shims. Secure them to the Kidney then place the rivets in the proper locations as illustrated below. Afterwards please post an updated photo. Thank you

left%20shim%203.jpggallery_12157_16_598.jpg
Okay guys. I'll figure it out tonight.