ATA cover strips driving anyone else crazy?

rzill

I have ATA armor, and the cover strips are super difficult and frustrating to glue on!  Rare earth magnets do NOT work, as the armor and strips are just too firm for magnets to hold them down.  MAYBE if I had the magnet that Heisenberg, Jesse, and Mike used to mess up the police evidence room, then maybe that would work.

SO, a question - this is one of my cover strips on the thigh.  Aside from the gap in this one section, it looks pretty good.  Is it 501st approved if I fill in the gap, rather than try to do the whole thing over again?  I read in another thread that gap filling is possible.  Please take a look, and let me know.  I'm also going to post my steps to try the rest of the thigh cover strips, as this ATA stuff is maddeningly hard to mold on.

Thanks!

papapapa.jpg

You aren’t going to see the gaps in day-to-day trooping, I have them too on my Anovos kit in a few spots.

As long as your strips aren’t falling off, it doesn’t look like an issue to me IMO.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

Thank you.  The gaps are a little more noticeable to the naked eye, but maybe I'm being paranoid.  I am not very good at building, and I want this to look as good as I can make it.  Still, any advice on gap filling, if you've done it before?

Thank you.  The gaps are a little more noticeable to the naked eye, but maybe I'm being paranoid.  I am not very good at building, and I want this to look as good as I can make it.  Still, any advice on gap filling, if you've done it before?

They were far from perfect in the movie ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They look fine. I have ATA and I liked the strips better than the Anovos ones. I assume you’re using clamps too, I also used blue painters tape and pulled it tight across horizontally. If I had a gap I just put some e6000 in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Mike mentioned those will be fine, Ron.  I would not recommend filling in any gaps.  The use of clamps on the ends will help a lot....  What size magnets did you use?  Rare earth ones come in a wide range of sizes, (as small as a watch battery) and some are just not large (powerful) enough to use for clamping cover strips.

I use the round 20mm x 3mm size, which is the minimum I recommend.  If you double these up they will be MORE than powerful enough, I promise.

Hey Joseph - my magnets are in sizes of 2 and 3 mm thick.  I've quintupled them up, and the armor still won't stay down.  I think I have to mold the thighs to be more round, as they are more oval shaped, and the butt ends don't come straight together.  Thanks!