Garrison Titan FOTK Build Thread

Between 15 & 20 garrison members are looking to build FOTK suits.  This will be the place-holder where they will chart their progress.  Stay tuned

• Like 3

GARRISON TITAN

Operation: Rule the Galaxy

Hello Legionnaires! If you were brought here by me, then you already know why you are here! If you've tripped on this subforum, please allow me to thank you for joining us on this wild ride, and allow me to tell you a little bit about us and why we are here.

My name is Kay, DS-52956 and one of Garrison Titan's Membership Liaisons. My flagship costume is Kylo Ren (as you have probably guessed). I troop about 20 events a year, and at the time of me typing this, we have about x1 First Order Stormtrooper for each Kylo Ren we have in the Garrison....which totals to 5 (give or take my spotty memory). As you can imagine, I was DISPLEASED by this! So I did what any self-respecting loyalist might do.

I went recruiting. And here we all are.

Garrison Titan is based in Washington State and is currently home to a little over 180 active members, making us one of the top 20 largest Garrisons in the 501st Legion. We have a tremendous relationship with our sister clubs in the area, and have made appearances at all sorts of events throughout the year. In 2016, we raised just over $58,000 for charity at just over 1000 events, and are well beyond that number for 2017.

Our goal here is simple: have a First Order squadron ready for the release of Episode 9. That gives us a timeline of ~2 years -- plenty of time for experimentation and learning.

For several members involved, this is their first armor kit build. For others, it isn't. We plan to operate using an assembly line system to get these kits trimmed and fitted by our target date. I will be documenting the process as best I can -- I am notoriously bad at remembering to take pictures of my builds, but hopefully with a support group of x20 other troopers, we'll get some helpful info here in case anyone else would like to start one of these in their own Garrison.

On behalf of Garrison Titan, thank you for stopping in, and don't forget to CRUSH THE RESISTANCE!

Kay Ahern

DS-52956

Garrison Titan GML

Edited by kayleesi
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, ower said:

well damn, I knew I should have gotten my Scout armor submitted and joined Titan esp since I just started my TLJ build too :D Glad i'll see other out there

It's not too late. :)

9 hours ago, ower said:

well damn, I knew I should have gotten my Scout armor submitted and joined Titan esp since I just started my TLJ build too :D Glad i'll see other out there

Definitely not too late! We haven’t even ordered our armor yet. I will PM you with some details if you’d like to join us. :)

13 hours ago, kayleesi said:

Definitely not too late! We haven’t even ordered our armor yet. I will PM you with some details if you’d like to join us. :)

Sure! that would be sweet, and sorry. Didn't mean to derail your guys build thread:)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey neighbors! I'm in Cloud City to the south and working on a dual build of TFA FOTK and TLJ Executioner at the moment. My build thread is here but mainly I'm just throwing my name out there that if you guys decide to do any armor parties in the next few months then please let me know. I will drive up and join you to help, get help and contribute in any way I can if I am able. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2018 at 5:15 PM, Anzo said:

Hey neighbors! I'm in Cloud City to the south and working on a dual build of TFA FOTK and TLJ Executioner at the moment. My build thread is here but mainly I'm just throwing my name out there that if you guys decide to do any armor parties in the next few months then please let me know. I will drive up and join you to help, get help and contribute in any way I can if I am able. 

We are expecting our kits closer to the summer, I think! But if you are still building then, I am sure we would love you have you up here. :)

• 2 months later...

There's a couple of things that won't be on the final pull -- for example, the spats and the shins will be separate, even though they are not in those photos.

Personally, I'd rather mess with the holster than have to worry about bondoing shoulder seams. :P

Have you guys talked to @Patient0x00 about this?  I know he's 3d printing out some parts for his own kit.  May be worth seeing what he can offer for smaller details.  Since you are painting the whole kit at the end, it should be fine.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:32 PM, Daetrin said:

Have you guys talked to @Patient0x00 about this?  I know he's 3d printing out some parts for his own kit.  May be worth seeing what he can offer for smaller details.  Since you are painting the whole kit at the end, it should be fine.

We have! He's actually in on our order. :)

On 16/04/2018 at 5:58 PM, kayleesi said:

After a few months, I have an update!

BSP has finished their first pulls of their new armor. We'll be getting seventeen of these toward the end of may. :) 

one.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

Just for clarification what you see on these pictures is NOT a vacuum-formed set of armor. It is their 3D model printed (rapid prototyping) at a 1:1 scale to check for fitting issues on an actual human body, etc... in order for them to refine their 3D model if needed, and only then use these updated models to cut (CNC) forming bucks out of aluminum. 

So what you see in those picture doesn't represent what you'll get in terms of parts. Almost everything such as limbs, detonator, ..., will be break down into several parts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

To give everyone an update on where Garrison Titan is with our group build:

Armor - Our order is in with BSP. Original ETA was June, we are currently two months overdue for that. Communication with BSP is limited, we ask for an update about once a month. BSP is mostly responsive, but have reported multiple delays which is not inspiring confidence. 

Helmets - Our massive helmet order fell through and we are back to square one. In short, we ordered from a shop, who had an order with Diamond (distributor) who had an order with Anovos. The shop closed, the order from Diamond could not be rerouted, so we completely lost every helmet. We were refunded at least, but this was a pretty nasty setback to the build. 

Gaskets - Trina and Wendy are working on prototypes for these, what I've seen so far is very promising! These are fabric gaskets, which should be much more comfortable than rubber

Gloves - Our group order was completed, everyone (except Ryan, I'm working on it!) has received their gloves

Soft Parts (Body suit, shiny shorts, balaclava, neck seal) - Everyone is on their own for these. Most members are not having issues finding these pieces

Boots - Everyone is mostly sourcing these independently as well. Some are getting TFA/TLJ boots from Imperial Boots, some are opting for ANH boots from TKBoots, as they are acceptable for both TFA/TLJ Stormtroopers per the CRL

Blasters and Accessories - Some of our members are already looking into these, but for the most part we are telling group members to hold off. Everything listed above really should be purchased before moving on to blasters. A bunch of stormtroopers with no blasters is better than not having stormtroopers because the focus was on blasters instead of armor/helmets. 

Edited by grenaidan

• 1 year later...

It's been over a year since the last update. Currently, things have progressed quite a bit:

Armor - BSP contacted us last week to tell us our shipment would be going out that week. We have not heard back since, but we have seen pictures of armor parts in boxes, we should be getting a tracking number very soon. 

Helmets - Still no group buy for these. Individual members have been buying helmets where they can find them, some are finding Anovos helmets, others going with KB and other sources. 

Gaskets - Our local progress on this has not progressed, no one locally is currently producing gaskets. Most members are looking at ordering from Geeky Pink. 

Soft Parts - Lots of the soft parts have been purchased by our group members. A group order covered almost all of the gloves people needed. Body suits and shorts people are getting from various locations. Boots continue to be sourced independently, lots of us who have ANH boots are going to use those. 

Blasters and Accessories - Some group members have started picking these up, but the focus is still very much on completing the armor for approval.  

As of this writing, it is not clear how many of us will be able to complete our builds before Rise of Skywalker, which was our initial goal.

We started this process in late 2017/early 2018. It is now getting into late 2019 and we have not had delivery from BSP. BSP has not been very communicative, it is hard to get updates from them because they are busy and there is a language barrier. BSP initially promised delivery by Summer of 2018, we have now passed the summer of 2019. This is frustrating, and certainly has cost us a lot of time that could have been used to build kits. When BSP does communicate, the updates range from promising to concerning. Many parts had to be redone, multiple molds had to be reconstructed. We have been given multiple delivery and shipment estimates. The armor we have seen looks good, but when we will get it is still in question. 

All being well you'll see some armor soon, it's really hard situation when armor maker promise the world and then don't deliver but as you say images have shown they do have some kits in hand so there is hope.

• 4 weeks later...

16 kits showed up today in 5 massive boxes, and few of us got together to sort them out. Pulls looks good, plenty of detail. They all had to be separated for inspection and inventory (sadly no parts list from BSP). We got 16 of everything that arrived, but it seems most AB boxes and some belt boxes were not shipped. Also missing were the promised riot shields. We're reaching out to BSP to see if we can get those shipped out quickly..

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021