FISD pegging CPU in Mac Safari

Im not sure what's causing it but this evening FISD has been murdering my CPU (and so battery).  As soon as I close all FISD tabs the usage drops off completely.  Open one up, any page even the main index, and it's back to 98%+ CPU, I saw 104% once. 

Doesn't happen in chrome I just tested it, and it wasn't happening last night as I sat reading build threads all evening.  I did try clearing my caches but that didn't seem to do much, I could go nuclear and clear all browser history and cookies etc but I'd rather not have to re-login to everything.

Any ideas what might be causing it and I can dig in further if needed.  I am a software dev so I can poke around a bit in the developer modes if you need me to.

5a330624d2049_ScreenShot2017-12-14at22_32_09.png.f1d624505f88aa5ef35afc35b56897ff.png

I observed the same spike in CPU when I first loaded this topic, but then the CPU usage for whitearmor.net in Safari dropped to reasonable values. When I surfed around, I'd get CPU usage spikes. I suspect from the design of the page that some header things are gathering information like crazy to give you links on recent activity and to provide those cool side menu things. 
I launched Google Chrome and watched Google Chrome Helper through Activity Monitor wile surfing on whitearmor.net. I saw similarly high CPU spikes but for less time. 
I did notice on a previous project that Chrome seemed to use less CPU for Javascript than Safari did. 
Safari 11.0.2, Google Chrome 63.0.3239.108, OS X 10.11.6, MacBook Pro.