TLJ Captain Phasma CRL Thread

Daetrin

TLJ: Note: entire helmet is mirror finished.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Additional coloring / finishing note from Misty:

Also concerning the coating. TFA Phasma is very weathered, grimy and in most scenes semi-reflective. This has given builders the option of using Alclad /  Spaz Stix coating, or going for the mac daddy option of vacuum metallizing or spray chrome and then weathering it.

For TLJ the armor is mirror reflective and unweathered. Not even the grooves of the helmet are black as they are in TFA.  Everything is pristine, super shiny. Only vacuum metallizing or spray chrome can achieve this.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Unless the Thermal Detonator is seen on screen (haven't seen a copy at home so I can't pause the fight scene), I wouldn't require it. Just like with TFA phasma. It's not required, even though we know it's worn at least at some points. It's never seen in the movie, so why require it for level 1. 

Same for the details of the cape. If we don't actually see the pockets on the cape in the movie, we shouldn't make that a basic requirement. Level 2 or 3, sure. But not basic.  

11 minutes ago, netslave said:

Unless the Thermal Detonator is seen on screen (haven't seen a copy at home so I can't pause the fight scene), I wouldn't require it. Just like with TFA phasma. It's not required, even though we know it's worn at least at some points. It's never seen in the movie, so why require it for level 1. 

Same for the details of the cape. If we don't actually see the pockets on the cape in the movie, we shouldn't make that a basic requirement. Level 2 or 3, sure. But not basic.  

She definitely has one in a deleted scene ;) 

dHqmL0u.png

• Like 1

Cool, I appreciate the pic there. :)

I would say that even still, unless you're wearing the cape in a way that is not approvable, then you still wouldn't see it, therefore should be consistent with the TFA Phasma CRL. And yes, I'm saying this because I don't have one ready for my wife's approved TFA Phasma. If it's required, I'll assemble it. I just don't see the need to make something that is hidden under a cape. I'm concerned with being SCREEN accurate for basic level. 

7 hours ago, Daetrin said:

I like the idea of making it not required for L1, but required for L2/L3.

I agree therefore since we encourage all builds to strive for L2&L3 then it should be expected to be built as part of the costume from the beginning. 

• Daetrin pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2018 at 5:24 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

She definitely has one in a deleted scene ;) 

dHqmL0u.png

My apologies up front for coming off as a derp, but I suffer from visual impairment -- where is Phasma's thermal detonator located in this picture? I'm used to looking at the round ones (like Bounty Hunter Leia showed Jabba in ROTJ) -- is it that tube-like thing on her lower back? :huh:

On 5/14/2018 at 9:20 PM, Harbinger said:

Yes, it’s the tube thing. :)

Gah, I thought so! Thank you, Harbinger. :)

If my opinion matters, I have mixed feeling about the thermal detonator. On one hand, save for a few changes, Phasma's armor is just like a regular FO TK's and should therefore have the thermal detonator included for basic 501st approval. On the other hand, it's rarely (if ever) actually seen on screen, obstructed by the cape... So I guess what I'm trying to say is I tend to agree with Daetrin, meaning that it shouldn't be mandatory for basic approval, but a requirement for L2 and L3 consideration.

On 5/14/2018 at 9:04 PM, Cpt. Phasma said:

My apologies up front for coming off as a derp, but I suffer from visual impairment -- where is Phasma's thermal detonator located in this picture? I'm used to looking at the round ones (like Bounty Hunter Leia showed Jabba in ROTJ) -- is it that tube-like thing on her lower back? :huh:

dHqmL0u-crop.png.d0fa74af2adb829ed0c2c8303b3d86f8.png

• Like 1

So...I have a question about the CRL's for both TFA Phasma and TLJ Phasma regarding the boots. The CRL for TFA Phasma (and TLJ Phasma at the moment) states that , "Boots are black suede, leather, or leather-like, absent of laces, with no pronounced heel." Now, by "pronounced heel" are we talking like a straight up high heel similar to women's heels?  Also, the thing I'm most confused about when it comes to the WIP CRL for TLJ Phasma's boots is that it states, " Boots must be FO style (side zip)" when it comes to lv2/lv3 approval. Does this mean that, so long as the boot is black (suede, leather, or leather-like) with no pronounced heel (a la women's high heels) and has a side zipper, it fulfills the requirements for lv2/lv3 approval?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 1:03 AM, Cpt. Phasma said:

So...I have a question about the CRL's for both TFA Phasma and TLJ Phasma regarding the boots. The CRL for TFA Phasma (and TLJ Phasma at the moment) states that , "Boots are black suede, leather, or leather-like, absent of laces, with no pronounced heel." Now, by "pronounced heel" are we talking like a straight up high heel similar to women's heels?  Also, the thing I'm most confused about when it comes to the WIP CRL for TLJ Phasma's boots is that it states, " Boots must be FO style (side zip)" when it comes to lv2/lv3 approval. Does this mean that, so long as the boot is black (suede, leather, or leather-like) with no pronounced heel (a la women's high heels) and has a side zipper, it fulfills the requirements for lv2/lv3 approval?

I was told by my local 501st that the shoe has to be standard TK flat, but that it is ok to order lifts and put them in a larger shoe so you can be taller. I could be wrong tho. 

The TFA CRL clearly shows a heel, though it's not overly pronounced.

http://databank.501st.com/databank/File:TK_phasma_boots.png

So I think what we are trying to say is a small heel is fine, just not something that is overly big. We're open to other wording.

As for TLJ, have we seen if the boots are the same as TFA or are they black FOTK?  It would be great to get an answer on this.

5 hours ago, Daetrin said:

So I think what we are trying to say is a small heel is fine, just not something that is overly big. We're open to other wording.

As for TLJ, have we seen if the boots are the same as TFA or are they black FOTK?  It would be great to get an answer on this.

I'll take a look at some screen shots. Maybe I can come up with something

• 3 months later...
On 6/8/2018 at 8:27 AM, Daetrin said:

Daetrin,

I’ve been analyzing the boots heavily over the past month in TLJ. I’ve been watching and pulling screen grabs from the fight scene where Phasma falls down and you see her shoes. It’s pretty evident that she is wearing boots that have a very minimal heel. They definitely have a space between the heel and the toe area of the sole. They are not the FO TK side zip boots in black leather, as far as I can see. They look more like Chelsea boots with the elastic panel on the side. You can see the  “U” shaped elastic panels when she is laying on the ground. I would attach a few photos here but I cannot post anything larger than .5 MB. It’s hard to see anything in tiny files.  

I am in the process of pulling screen shots from a high Res projector image for clearer shots. These will be from a Blu ray version of TLJ. I will try to find a way to post those as soon as I get some good ones. I can no longer use Photobucket, so looking for an alternative. 

It will help clarify the boot and shins since those are some of the main differences between TLJ and TFA. 

There are are other differences, clearly, but the boots/shins seem to be some of the most drastic changes between TFA and TLJ. 

Would these shots be interesting to you? I  am using them to finish my TLJ Phasma and thought they may be helpful to others also. 

Edited by FunkyAmazon
Clarification

Finally, here is a link to some higher res shots I pulled from the Blu Ray projected TLJ. We have a projector so I was able to blow this up to 10 feet wide. 

I’m still trying to get a shot of the elastic panel. I may look into the deleted scenes and Blu Ray extras next.  I don’t know if they have the elastic panel or not but they are definitely leather, as they show reflections slightly during fight scenes. The sole is definitely not the FO side zip boot as they have a fully flat platform like sole on those boots. 

My my guess is that they are leather Chelsea boots that only go up to the ankle because anything higher would interfere with the much more fitted shin armor. 

A bunch more photos below. 

https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i8cdt2km/

The boots appear to be a Chelsea boot, similar to these stormtrooper boots shown on the 501st page, but in black. 

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt

the FO side zip boots are definitely different. They do not have the pronounced separation between the heel and toe. They have the flat sole that is more like a platform. See those below

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_-_First_Order

The FO TK side zip boots are not what Phasma wears but she may be wearing the earlier version of Chelsea type TK boots with no zipper and the elastic panel. The other similarity to those boots is the slight point. They are not round nor pointed, something in between. 

Hey Brandi - just so you know I'm not forgetting or ignoring these.  OK, well ignoring for a bit but I'm adding in the bits to the first post and also sending text out to the LMOs, as right now I think we have enough photos for an initial CRL.  Like all CRLs, they are not static and will likely evolve over time as better images and also more accurate armor, etc. becomes available.