Advanced tactics for blasters

CableGuy

37 minutes ago, starsaber25 said:

Sorry Everyone here is my take.  My take in prior discussions and my take now:

I just think this is a lot of work for many people that will go unseen.  Maybe not unseen, but unnoticed by most non 501st types, like the ab/kidney rivets, etc.  To most folks, we look exactly alike, (ANH, ESB, ROTJ)... just shiny white spacemenWe, however, can spot the differences.  Same with blasters.   In many countries you can barely carry a blaster.  This is a voluntary program, much like EI and Centurion, so is not a requirement.  So what would be the point to spend a ton of money to make a blaster super accurate to just sit in a display case in someones home? People build model cars/airplanes etc. that they take great pride in that sit on shelves collecting dust. Many people will probably not even be able to source the parts to achieve higher levels. I think those in countries where balsters are "permitted" in public can order parts in resin online, or download any number of free 3D programs and print their own. And also are we creating an environment for someone who builds an accurate blaster that looks a little "too real"...  I have actually been questioned by a policeman while on a troop, and he was impressed by the accuracy of my E-11.  Being in costume certainly helped.

I agree 100% that there should be different categories, (ANH, ESB, ROTJ), and if this comes to fruition it will have to be approved before implementation.   

Crap.. I'm sorry, Steve.. I meant to do a "Quote" but must have hit Edit.  My apologies, brother, please re-post. :blush:

• Like 1

Some thoughts...when we look at the E-11 blaster, we all know it is based on a sterling machine gun with additional pieces brought in by the propmasters...would a recognition system that rewards screen accuracy inadvertently promote the creation of a realistic rifle and therefore put a threat to public safety? With the establishment of an orange plug in the muzzle to mark it a toy for conventions, for example, would that suffice to ensure for no misunderstanding and therefore confidence for public safety? Of course, there's rules to abide by with your local garrison as well as it pertains to your part of the world and the troop at hand. I'm not sure, want to understand more...

I have seen blasters that look so real it's almost unbelievable, as well as real decommissioned Sterlings made into E-11s, both used at events where literally dozens of police and law enforcement were present.  All we got from them were smiles and requests for photos.  When you are dressed head to toe in shiny white armor along with others from the SW universe, the chances of someone thinking it is actually real weapon are miniscule.  They realize that we are characters, much as the TKs that work at Disney who brandish replica weapons and therefore pose no danger.

Something to think about is how you actually hold and pose with your weapon.  I always HIGHLY discourage anyone from ever pointing their weapon at anyone for any reason, especially children.  This is just in really bad taste.  I also never let anyone hold any of my weapons.  When you hand it over to someone not in a costume you never know what they may do with it, i. e. pointing it at someone not aware of what is happening who could very well "freak out", especially in this day and age.  Then you have a bigger problem on your hands, not only with your "host" but with your Garrison and the 501st.  To say this would be "bad press" for us is an understatement.

Some troops (like children's hospitals) understandably forbid weapons of any sort, as some kids may not be familiar with us or our mission.  A Stormtrooper without a weapon, you say?  That's crazy!  But, the first time you get an ear to ear smile and a high five from one of those kids will make you forget you ever carried one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

I have seen blasters that look so real it's almost unbelievable, as well as real decommissioned Sterlings made into E-11s, both used at events where literally dozens of police and law enforcement were present.  ...  That's crazy!  But, the first time you get an ear to ear smile and a high five from one of those kids will make you forget you ever carried one.

Thank you Joseph for sharing from your experience. I can see now with the scope of a costume event clearly made known to the public and wisely handling oneself in public, carrying highly detailed blasters pose little threat to public safety. For the most part, the public would be oblivious to the detail of the blasters, unless they are allowed to examine them. As you shared, even after police inspection, within the context of a supported event, it's all smiles. Then the blaster ranking can be a point of pride between blaster enthusiast who know the difference.

• Like 1

I'm all for blaster accuracy, but I'm opposed to a new set of CRL's and awards. 

Blaster accuracy is inherent in EIB and Centurion. And for those that value accuracy and have the means to go above and beyond, they will do so regardless of any awards. Let those who know appreciate it for themselves.

My personal trooping E-11 is all metal, a mix of aluminium and steel with a (un-)folding stock, moving trigger, safety selector, charging handle, etc, and disassembles like the real deal. I don't need an award for that. I know it's a good blaster, and so does everyone who sees it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Locitus said:

I'm all for blaster accuracy, but I'm opposed to a new set of CRL's and awards. 

Blaster accuracy is inherent in EIB and Centurion. And for those that value accuracy and have the means to go above and beyond, they will do so regardless of any awards. Let those who know appreciate it for themselves.

My personal trooping E-11 is all metal, a mix of aluminium and steel with a (un-)folding stock, moving trigger, safety selector, charging handle, etc, and disassembles like the real deal. I don't need an award for that. I know it's a good blaster, and so does everyone who sees it.

Very fair and well explained points there, Mathias. So, the fact that a blaster has to meet a certain spec for EIB, that does promote/enforce a minimum standard anyway. 

Dan :-)

Following this thread with great interest.

Haven't yet made up my mind, but it sounds like a nice idea with good arguments on both sides. Some people want this, while others do not.

To me, it would make sense to get an overview first. Why not let the community decide on this? Maybe raise awareness in a future newsletter with a link to a voting-thread and then wait what the people on this board prefer. When there is a result, the next steps can be taken - and there are a lot: different E-11 versions, different detachments using E-11, different types of materials like steel, aluminum, resin, plastic, rubber and each has it's own characteristics. Not an easy task - but a nice idea.           :popcorn:           :D

• Like 2

Hi guys.
Just a little update for you. I’ve been informed that a tiered system for blasters will not be moving forward at this time.
Let’s do what we can to help others by showing them some awesome blaster skills. :-)

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Best wishes,
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2