Gloves

DLTrooper13

Nomex gloves are generally comfortable and close-fitting. I don't know this from trooping but I was a Parachute Rigger in the Navy and all aircrew wore them. They made great liners on cold days for us fools on the flight deck, too.

And they're flame resistant!

1 hour ago, jethroskull said:

Nomex gloves are generally comfortable and close-fitting. I don't know this from trooping but I was a Parachute Rigger in the Navy and all aircrew wore them. They made great liners on cold days for us fools on the flight deck, too.

And they're flame resistant!

Pretty sure the rest of the armor isn't though! :P

• Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 5:56 AM, DLTrooper13 said:

Great info! Thank you!

You can pick them up on eBay for as little as $14.00, (example link below).  I would go for the ones that have longer wrists, that way they don't slide out from under your forearm piece and expose any skin.

Nomex gloves

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

14 hours ago, Mikeyg said:

Just had delivery from TrooperBay of a set of silicone hand plates. Will let you know how the gluing goes!

Trooperbay's hand guards are made from latex, and are best attached with E-6000.  When gluing to Nomex gloves, don't forget to place a piece of wax paper inside, otherwise the glue will seep through and seal them closed.  It also helps to add weight on them while curing for a better bond.

• Like 1

Thanks Joseph. 

Been wondering what to use in my arsenal of E6000, CA & Stalmax glues.
Few have said they had problems with the e6000 though :(

I've got the wax paper ready, just nipping out to by some rubbing alcohol to clean the plates down then sand them before gluing.

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2017 at 1:57 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Trooperbay's hand guards are made from latex, and are best attached with E-6000.  When gluing to Nomex gloves, don't forget to place a piece of wax paper inside, otherwise the glue will seep through and seal them closed.  It also helps to add weight on them while curing for a better bond.

Is this an instance of "Don't ask me how I know!"? ;)
Do these gloves pass muster for Centurion? 

39 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

The hand plates will, you'll need rubber gloves though. Not nomex.

Does the CRL need updating? "* Gloves
* For 501st approval:        •    Black in color, made of either rubber, nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured."

8 minutes ago, Timberwoof said:

Does the CRL need updating? "* Gloves
* For 501st approval:        •    Black in color, made of either rubber, nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured."

The CRL is correct for centurion the gloves need to be "rubber or rubber like chemical gloves". the quoted section is for basic and EIB.

The latex hand guards will be needed for centurion also.

For trooping the nomex gloves work great. You can feel things and hand out trading cards without a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timberwoof said:

So for the certification at Centurion one has to wear latex hand guards and (polypropylene) gloves, but you can revert to nomex gloves for trooping? What's the point of Centurion then? 

EI and Centurion levels are designed for screen accuracy.  Nomex gloves are permitted for basic approval, but if you (hopefully) wish to go to higher levels (EI and Centurion) you will be be required to have the rubber ones.  Many Troopers use the rubber ones all the time, but some switch to the Nomex for comfort after level 3 approval.

Hand guards can be ABS for basic and level 2 approval, but must be flexible, like latex or silicone for Centurion.