A few Plasti Dip questions

I have an RS helmet that is already assembled and I would like to Plasti Dip the interior. The problem is, the helmet is assembled with rivets which I can't and don't want to remove. It seems to me there is no way to spray the interior as I would be too close to the surface and cause the Plasti Dip to run. Am I better off just buying a brushable coating? Also, does Plasti Dip need a primer or is a rough sanding of the surface enough for proper adhesion?

I see plenty of people mask off and spray the inside of the helmet so it's definitely doable. Not so sure on the technique myself as I've never done it (yet), hopefully someone else will chime in.

• Like 1

No need to disassemble. I used the dip (not spray) and cheesecloth. I wiped the inside down with a little rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt. Cut the cheesecloth into smallish 2” squares. Use a sponge brush and dab (not “brush”) a small amount on to make a sticky surface. Put the cheesecloth down and dab more plastidip on top and repeat until fully coated. Then I did a couple full coats all at once at the end to fully coat everything really good. You can hold it up to a light and look through to find spots that need more dip. I did this on 2 Anovos and an ATA helmet. Not sure if the dip would cause any harm to any other maker/material. 8ab8635d3d4f89a212c08deaa6cde51b.jpg073f926bd58bf54b6889bf32247f667d.jpg7630fdf3377ed4928f9039bba7c709e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I used the brush on method in my fiberglass helmet. If you do dribble, it seems to peel off pretty easy. I put some of the velcro to hold padding in before I "painted" otherwise I would have probably needed to scratch off some of the plastidip for adhesion. It does help "black-out" the helmet quite a bit, and I think it looked better both from the outside and well as the inside.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I spray painter the inside of mine with truck boot liner, it has a strong gloss type of smell for a few days but coated lovely. I used masking tape all round the edges and foam in the teeth. e33f94d07b3b9a1134fbe798b17c5761.jpgb7e1cc631fc02e3da441669dfafc530f.jpg
I’m in UK so used a Halfords spray £10 a tin.
a6b8b8c0bd024a95374cae1b8e903706.jpg
Cleaned off any spray excess whilst still wet. Came up ok I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 1:04 PM, catalystofchaos said:

I spray painter the inside of mine with truck boot liner, it has a strong gloss type of smell for a few days but coated lovely. I used masking tape all round the edges and foam in the teeth. e33f94d07b3b9a1134fbe798b17c5761.jpgb7e1cc631fc02e3da441669dfafc530f.jpg
I’m in UK so used a Halfords spray £10 a tin.
a6b8b8c0bd024a95374cae1b8e903706.jpg
Cleaned off any spray excess whilst still wet. Came up ok I think.

Did you have to do any disassembly or just spray straight into the bucket? Looks great by the way. 

If you want to see the resoult of mine look at my built post I’ve use 5 hands of plastidip, I’ve close the eyes the ears and the holes that we have on the bottom of the tube(normally cove by the ears) and the teeth

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did you have to do any disassembly or just spray straight into the bucket? Looks great by the way. 

Didn’t disassemble just took ears off and stuff all holes with foam and used a fair bit of masking tape all round. Where some spray did spread just used a bit of turps substitute on a cotton bud to remove.

Smell does hang around for a while but I managed to glue eyes in after no problem. I like the finish and it didn’t take long to do at all.

Merry Christmas [emof3176693367e344529d68b3d0bf136f9.jpgji319]

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, MandalorianHelm said:

I am also thinking on using Plastidip in my helmet.  Same question on using a primer.  Did you use primer prior to your 5 coats?

It's been a while since I posted this thread and I never properly followed up.

From my experience, you don't need a primer. I just lightly scuffed up the interior of my bucket with 400 grit sandpaper and then wiped everything out with alcohol. At that point, I made sure to tape off the eyes, edges of the bottom of the helmet and the mouth grill really well with painters tape. I applied a full can of Plastidip, which may be overkill, but it looks and feels great. I applied the first set of coats, about three or so, with about 2 hours between each and then waited about 2 days to let dry before applying the other coats. Apply the very first coat lightly to get a good surface for the other coats to stick. I think total, I applied about 6 or 7 coats.

It's going to stink for the first week after application, and DEFINITELY do not put it on your head in that time. The fumes are toxic. I think mine fully dried and no longer smelled after about a week.

I troop in my helmet often and it definitely helps to black out your helmet, add a bit of heft and dampen sound to a degree.

XNcBlU.jpg   SVQCqH.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 7:56 AM, GodOfLibra said:

I’ve used only tape and paper5b4ccfc0718964fc69432b7977d77cba.jpg
aabdb0ec413bc1e7424be68fffaa9dfa.jpg
9de147826362d7ffae10349fb94df32b.jpg
5 coat of plastidip
c335bb23d7b482b879591bd1399916ee.jpg
868be3b60c1f301096a77c47b753131b.jpg

the final resoult
0d03c8d2e61bc2910e867e34c629bff7.jpg

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I love the interior!! Where did you get the ribbed padding that runs along the back side of the opening of the bucket?

That is actually not padding, but is 1 inch flexible black ribbed tubing. (available at Lowe's) and adds a cleaner look while also covering wires and such.  I normally use Plasti-dip in my helmets, but you can also use craft foam like I did on my Hero bucket.  (I added a few extras, though, modeled after a "real" helmet).  I really have to get a life, lol.

----------

hqF4UEq.jpg?3

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 3

Yours looks amazing as well!! good job man! I really wanna do the same to my bucket! Where did you find all those components?

So this is just tubing that's cut and (essentially) unrolled?

0d03c8d2e61bc2910e867e34c629bff7.jpg

Edited by TKModder421
wanted to ask the question differently

Actually it's not cut out.  Due to the shape (indentation) of the bottom back of the helmet it fits snugly in there.  There is a split along the length of it that allows you to tuck the wires in.  As for the interior, a member offered the 3D files for that here a while back.  I put the fans in the round parts that are next to the ears, but due to the small openings in them you don't get much circulation, sad to say, so this one is for winter trooping only, lol.

On 9/9/2018 at 5:59 AM, justjoseph63 said:

That is actually not padding, but is 1 inch flexible black ribbed tubing. (available at Lowe's) and adds a cleaner look while also covering wires and such.  I normally use Plasti-dip in my helmets, but you can also use craft foam like I did on my Hero bucket.  (I added a few extras, though, modeled after a "real" helmet).  I really have to get a life, lol.

xU8FHDM.jpg?1     hqF4UEq.jpg?3

Those canon influenced internals are awesome, man. Are those 3D printed parts?

8 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Actually it's not cut out.  Due to the shape (indentation) of the bottom back of the helmet it fits snugly in there.  There is a split along the length of it that allows you to tuck the wires in.  As for the interior, a member offered the 3D files for that here a while back.  I put the fans in the round parts that are next to the ears, but due to the small openings in them you don't get much circulation, sad to say, so this one is for winter trooping only, lol.

Oh ok! Haha, it still look amazing! Thanks for the response

4 hours ago, DEVOLVER said:

Those canon influenced internals are awesome, man. Are those 3D printed parts?

Yes sir.  The files were free, but I had to pay to get them printed.  Took me about 6 solid hours of sanding to get those danged print lines out though.

On 9/9/2018 at 12:23 PM, TKModder421 said:

Yours looks amazing as well!! good job man! I really wanna do the same to my bucket! Where did you find all those components?

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43782-tk-helmet-interior-gear-3d-printed/?tab=comments#comment-588888

• 2 weeks later...