Tom's DoopyDoos ANH E11 WIP

Great work on this blaster Tom, it has given me the urge to start back on mine, well tomorrow maybe. 

One question, where did you get the folding stock from?

keep up the good work I am watching how you get on to give me some tips.

Thanks mate! Good to know it's been even a little inspiring haha

The folding stock I got from apexgunparts. A quick Google for the l3a2 sterling folding stock should pull it up near the top of the list. It was pretty cheap really, think about $40. I don't know where you're based, but they only deliver in the US, and can only be purchased with a US registered card. Luckily I have a friend in the states who paid, got it delivered, then forwarded it to me using "costume accessory" for the customs declaration. A bit of effort, but well worth it, easily one of my favourite additions!

Sorry for the late reply by the way, Tapatalk didn't seem to notify me of the message...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Mega update: it's done! The last few days have easily been the most exciting. Having all the bits painted, it's been a matter of assembling the bits systematically, getting things in the right spot (which I hope I've done lol), and waiting days and days for glue to dry haha. I've used the Gorilla Epoxy for the final assembling, recommended a 24hour dry time, a bit like the e6000. Probably could leave it less, but never can be too safe ;)

Assembling went pretty smoothly really, though there were a couple of issues. Firstly, for the end cap clip, the glue had squished out from under it a little which was then shiny when dry. A quick little spray with the Clear Matt worked like a charm covering that.

Next was the inner tube. Where the far end of the scope rail bends into the hole, it was blocking the inner tube from going the whole way in. I had tested this before, so I'm not sure how it happened haha. Solved this by cutting a grove out of the inner tube so it misses that part of the scope rail that pokes into the barrel, obviously being careful to only cut a section that wouldn't be visible when fully assembled. This worked! Haha, not sure if it was the best solution but got the job done :)

Lastly, and again, something I checked before (not very well apparently) was the clearance of the stock as it folds back. It seems to scrape along the selector switch a little, so care is needed when folding the stock out. You can kind of just pull the stock in that direction to clear the switch, not the best thing really, but I can't bring myself to start shaving a bit off the switch having just finished everything! Lolb6b72c06c144740c969d53daa3515065.jpg5bfe70b195d830c6d9104cf857fca291.jpg9286d36628ed0e4b710f4bc6aeef7a78.jpg6d91182c2a3e931517a7c16206901055.jpg9907469d7c477f03600e770ca2fe95bf.jpgdd9a177dfd1ee4712651844a403480ff.jpgc1b704112ffe4f7e01c5309b2b793cdb.jpgf349d77c78f8dfde640b26a032e6c6a1.jpg7bd5fbb447af770e95ff393a2f4aca7a.jpg

• Like 1

Pew pew indeed. :-)

Lovely job, mate. Loving the folding stock. You must be chuffed. :-)

Now, off to the shed to get your armour. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hell yeah! Cheers buddy! Can't wait for the armour now

• Like 1

Having now crossed the finish line, I owe thanks to everyone who's chipped in with their help and opinions, so many thanks to you all.

And special thanks to Dan, Jesse, and of course Tino, really couldn't have done it without all your input :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BaneLives85 said:

Thanks mate! Good to know it's been even a little inspiring haha

The folding stock I got from apexgunparts. A quick Google for the l3a2 sterling folding stock should pull it up near the top of the list. It was pretty cheap really, think about $40. I don't know where you're based, but they only deliver in the US, and can only be purchased with a US registered card. Luckily I have a friend in the states who paid, got it delivered, then forwarded it to me using "costume accessory" for the customs declaration. A bit of effort, but well worth it, easily one of my favourite additions!

Sorry for the late reply by the way, Tapatalk didn't seem to notify me of the message...

Thanks for the info, yes I had been on the Apex site and found out that they would not ship to here, bugger.

nice job on final assembly you blaster really looks the part.

One minor observation though, considering the awesome work you  have done, your mag is missing the little clip at the rear. I can’t find any post from anyone selling these, I have some sheet alli in my shed that I may have a go at making one if I can’t find one prior to completing my blaster. But would much rather find someone with more skill than me that has one for sale LOL

Thanks for the info, yes I had been on the Apex site and found out that they would not ship to here, bugger.

nice job on final assembly you blaster really looks the part.

One minor observation though, considering the awesome work you  have done, your mag is missing the little clip at the rear. I can’t find any post from anyone selling these, I have some sheet alli in my shed that I may have a go at making one if I can’t find one prior to completing my blaster. But would much rather find someone with more skill than me that has one for sale LOL
Haha that would definitely be easier! Yeh i decided to leave that out. I've got a little Alu left myself, might be too thick though actually as it's 2mm.

From other posts I've seen some people sculpt the clip from green stuff. I'd imagine it would be easier than using alu, and you wouldn't know any different once painted..

It's def a shame about apex tho. If you're really keen on it tho, maybe see if you've a friend in the states who could help out by ordering it and sending it on to you. Someone on here might even be willing to help if you put the word out

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, kwakermad said:
... little clip at the rear. I can’t find any post from anyone selling these, I have some sheet alli in my shed that I may have a go at making one if I can’t find one prior to completing my blaster. But would much rather find someone with more skill than me that has one for sale LOL

Just to follow up with kwakermad on this point - see T-jays 2014 e-11 build thread as he’s accomplished this. He custom made a magazine clip out of aluminum. Tom is correct as 2mm thick aluminum is too hefty to replicate this small piece

df3fd56ebfb63a7dde67f2bcda7083ab.jpg

Here's a template created by SIMpixels back in 2012; just discovered this via link provided by Suspends WIP thread.

28007975699_64dc8f8927_z.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Dracotrooper
  • Like 1

On 15/01/2018 at 10:07 PM, BaneLives85 said:

Having now crossed the finish line, I owe thanks to everyone who's chipped in with their help and opinions, so many thanks to you all.

And special thanks to Dan, Jesse, and of course Tino, really couldn't have done it without all your input :D

Hey Tom, sorry for being late to the party and congratulations on finishing this superb E-11 blaster. Your paintjob and weathering are a perfect match to the original folding stock. Very nice work and a result, that you can be proud of. :duim: 

There is always that sad part when a blaster build comes to an end. But maybe you find little things here and there to go on with (like that small clip on the magazine)... ;)

Edited by T-Jay

1 hour ago, Dracotrooper said:

Just to follow up with kwakermad on this point - see T-jays 2014 e-11 build thread as he’s accomplished this. He custom made a magazine clip out of aluminum. Tom is correct as 2mm thick aluminum is too hefty to replicate this small piece emoji106.png

Yes, 2mm is too thick for this.

What about scratch-building it from that little ABS sheet? (item #15) It is 1mm thick and should work - provided there is enough left. Worth a try then...

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Tino! Certainly do feel quite proud, especially as it was my first build and I'm not the most skilled builder haha

Now that you mention it, I do have some of the ABS left... I suppose I would just use the pictures for a reference to make the magazine clip? I also need to stabilise the handle on the inner tube, it's precariously glued on at the moment, and I'm too scared to try it out haha.

I think I'll go through my armour build first before making the extra blaster adjustments, can't bring myself to start taking it apart since I've only just put it together lol. Will also shave a bit off the selector switch so the stock clears when unfolding. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy it!

Thanks all!

• Like 3

Ok, so the grace period after finishing the blaster has ended, and I'm now making some extra improvements haha

Not sure what this part is called, but it's the part that the spring in the inner tube wraps around. I didn't have anything here before, so the charging handle had rubbish stability as it was just glued on and with a nail going into the hollow inner tube. I've seen some people use marker pens for this part; I managed to get some wood, 18mm diameter, to slot into place.

I've just cut it down to size, sanded it, and starting on the paintwork. Hopefully with this set into the inner tube, then the nail from the charging handle set into the wood, it should have much greater stability :)c0a86c3dab46be1ba2169ea0225b3e9c.jpg6e3470477db01e0fe949727263b1f35c.jpg04d3de94f1f59a7293856371e81e5c27.jpg6c19d0830c2ec4b372e17646597a67c9.jpg

• Like 2

Forgot to mention, also working on a case. Got a plastic tube today with suitable dimensions. Was clear plastic but I'm gonna spray it matt black. Just need to find some thick foam for the inside, had a look while out today but no luck

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was making my own carry case (and will probably use the box for something else) but it turned out that the foam to fill it was surprisingly expensive. On the other hand, I did come across a £35 aluminium flight case (foam included), couldn't resist!

Just finished cutting out all the shapes using a modellers scalpel, 4 hours it took! Surprisingly long work. Happy with the results though :)54e1488a0ac1aa0e13392b1500fa4353.jpg1e7ef1368e1a58a357aebc065e039a5b.jpg6d8bc117306fc8a685058fe57decf3d2.jpg277adf76ce6e0137bb2bb78ffa5ca588.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great, Tom. Is that wireless transmitter for your Tramp?

(FYI, I can “like” things again) 
Sure is! Had a bit of extra room so was finding things to fill the space haha. It's actually got loops for a padlock/luggage lock too, can't believe it was only £35. From what I found online, large chunks of black foam at the required size would have cost about £20! Crazy! You can get upholstery foam cheaper, but it's baby blue, not exactly fitting with the Empire's colour scheme lol

• Like 1

I really do not get the reason for such expensive foam prices, but it is the same over here. :wacko: However, makes it even better for you to find this very nice and suitable case for less. Loving how the blaster is embedded only 2/3 and sticking out a bit. Very nice...

17 hours ago, BaneLives85 said:

277adf76ce6e0137bb2bb78ffa5ca588.jpg

• Like 1

I really do not get the reason for such expensive foam prices, but it is the same over here. :wacko: However, makes it even better for you to find this very nice and suitable case for less. Loving how the blaster is embedded only 2/3 and sticking out a bit. Very nice...

I know right! I thought maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough, but seems they're generally very expensive.

Happy with this case though, wouldn't have been as good if I made my own as planned I think haha

Good to hear from you Tino, had a lot of people asking about your mod kits lately, I'm sending them all your way!