Tom's DoopyDoos ANH E11 WIP

Good work mate.

(Lots of forum glitching going on at the minute. Lots of duplicate posts).

Keep up the good work. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol Yeh, I see that now! And Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Scope rail! Well this has been a hard task, feel like I've managed it alright so far. Still need to measure and drill the rail holes for the scope, but it's pretty much done.

I've 74mm of Alu left for the bracket, anyone have any idea of dimensions for it?1e72f6080d2f8fa15d93a1420703beac.jpg4248a733aa0f43dd563502e67c2f7168.jpg3924eb8778485b085c41f9bef97f0807.jpg28f8737812cfa149f1f0cd9eb9777abc.jpg7a49def297eba284dedf5301e91634ad.jpg9cc80e8607575a22d29dad9eaf1dee26.jpg629a93c2c75e006b9f6037decdec6f08.jpg1fe1d59c058f3fc754f50dccc9dedcad.jpg

That looks super. You’re a natural at this. :-)

Haha thanks Dan, probably couldn't be further from the truth though lol. I've gotten away with a few things so far, just hope my luck holds out!

• Like 1

Haha thanks Dan, probably couldn't be further from the truth though lol. I've gotten away with a few things so far, just hope my luck holds out!

Lol.

Just a little tweak if you wanted to make it - you could straighten up the screw on the side of the grip, aka the “free/lock” screw. To my knowledge, when in the ‘lock’ position, the grip assembly is held in place. ‘Free’ would allow the grip assembly to be detached. :-)

Lol.

Just a little tweak if you wanted to make it - you could straighten up the screw on the side of the grip, aka the “free/lock” screw. To my knowledge, when in the ‘lock’ position, the grip assembly is held in place. ‘Free’ would allow the grip assembly to be detached. :-)

Done. Wish it was all that easy lolbfd796b8b667aa2a4f2fce58bc9d8526.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BaneLives85 said:

(...)   I've 74mm of Alu left for the bracket, anyone have any idea of dimensions for it?   (...)

Scope rail looks good so far and 74mm left for the bracket sounds more than enough. The dimensions of this L-shaped piece are best to find, when attaching the counter to the rail.

Scope rail looks good so far and 74mm left for the bracket sounds more than enough. The dimensions of this L-shaped piece are best to find, when attaching the counter to the rail.
Cheers buddy, will look into that today. I assume there's a small gap so the counter and bracket aren't touching the barrel? Bit hard to see in some pics

Yes, you can leave a small gap to avoid scratches on the receiver tube. No worries.

In the movie they had used hot-glue to add the Hengstler counters. Due to the weight of these counters (with metal brackets back then), many fell off and only left the hot-glue residue. This can be seen (for example) on Luke's blaster in ANH when he removes his TK helmet in that Death Star control room...

• Like 2

Tremendous progress, great work! I noticed the grub screw for the magazine ejector is sitting a little high - based on SMG reference, it could reveal one to no more than one and half threads, if you want of course

Thanks Dracotrooper! Always good to know I'm doing getting somewhere at least ;)

This better RE the grub?8a6ce0f65b76ce3b0c9fa03d43404381.jpg

• Like 1

Some updates today: installed lots of replacement screws on the counter and scope, also done the 2 guards. Most of the doopies set was in good condition out of the mold I though, but the guards needed a bit of the green stuff - which I love by the way, never used it before now, it's awesome!

Lastly drilled a hole through the rear sight. Decided to go on in from each end and meet in the middle for this, didn't trust myself not to go wonky hahadf0c56f5cbb496067048084cb44cfc13.jpg605d6292b36db0bd1a12c59784210806.jpgc07f337afeb8a405c139f53fdaa299c1.jpg63fa1c0d9537d6c1c1417a561380c6fc.jpge8b823cf67f2eae28fed00999a0e6ab2.jpg8da046bcaac2921577f8e77b77361395.jpge3bc8cd5f543391c4f0bc827820ee441.jpg494de15fa13b19f55e6a9a846894ab31.jpg

• Like 1

Some updates today: installed lots of replacement screws on the counter and scope, also done the 2 guards. Most of the doopies set was in good condition out of the mold I though, but the guards needed a bit of the green stuff - which I love by the way, never used it before now, it's awesome!

Lastly drilled a hole through the rear sight. Decided to go on in from each end and meet in the middle for this, didn't trust myself not to go wonky hahadf0c56f5cbb496067048084cb44cfc13.jpg605d6292b36db0bd1a12c59784210806.jpgc07f337afeb8a405c139f53fdaa299c1.jpg63fa1c0d9537d6c1c1417a561380c6fc.jpge8b823cf67f2eae28fed00999a0e6ab2.jpg8da046bcaac2921577f8e77b77361395.jpge3bc8cd5f543391c4f0bc827820ee441.jpg494de15fa13b19f55e6a9a846894ab31.jpg

You’re sailing through mate. Good progress. :-)

• Like 1

Also today: picked up some "white stuff" (same as green stuff just.. well.. white) to fill in the mag and mag holder to later drill some holes and mount some magnets for a removable clip.

And some heartache!!! I made a boo boo :( while making the counter bracket, the aluminium broke while bending. I'd read to cut a grove on the opposite side - which I did (about 1 mm maybe) - but it still broke.

So options are now: get another piece of Alu to try again, or somehow try and repair this one? I wondered about gluing it but I don't think it will hold or be strong enough to support the counter, not in the long term at least.

Any thought how to proceed?6147dd46ce3c226c351c781105216fab.jpgacf95e8a4754546221a8aa5e4d57295e.jpg2684fdedcd43216ce7a6298dde446743.jpg

Also today: picked up some "white stuff" (same as green stuff just.. well.. white) to fill in the mag and mag holder to later drill some holes and mount some magnets for a removable clip.

And some heartache!!! I made a boo boo while making the counter bracket, the aluminium broke while bending. I'd read to cut a grove on the opposite side - which I did (about 1 mm maybe) - but it still broke.

So options are now: get another piece of Alu to try again, or somehow try and repair this one? I wondered about gluing it but I don't think it will hold or be strong enough to support the counter, not in the long term at least.

Any thought how to proceed?6147dd46ce3c226c351c781105216fab.jpgacf95e8a4754546221a8aa5e4d57295e.jpg2684fdedcd43216ce7a6298dde446743.jpg

I snapped mine, too, when I first tried bending my trigger guard. I think gluing would be a risky choice for aluminium.
I think there is a method of heating the area to be bent but have never done this myself. Hopefully one of the others may have tried this? :-)

I snapped mine, too, when I first tried bending my trigger guard. I think gluing would be a risky choice for aluminium.
I think there is a method of heating the area to be bent but have never done this myself. Hopefully one of the others may have tried this? :-)

Thanks Dan, Yeh I'm out of ideas of how to do it next time. It was always a worry with the limited amount left over from Tino's kit, really leaves no room for error! At least if I get some more, I'll make sure to get extra just in case! Lol

Hi Tom. Very sorry to hear about the broken aluminum stripe. Very often in this forum you can find recommendations to cut that grove on the opposite side of the bend. In general this is a good idea for the following reasons:

- it exactly defines the position on the rail where the bend happens

- it causes a sharp bend, rather than a soft and curvy bend

The only problem is, sometimes people cut too deep and reduce the stability of the material. Then the rail snaps when being bent. To leave enough stability, I would suggest to cut not more than about one third of the thickness. Anyway, it already happened and my words won't help you now, so what to do?! I guess we can forget about gluing and welding that aluminum, so I see these options. You can:

- check if the bigger part is still long enough to make the bracket from it

- check if you have anything else at home to scratch build the bracket from (bear in mind, this part is hard to see later)

- check if you find 2x20mm (or something close to this) aluminum stripes in a local D.I.Y. store

Or you can contact me to send you more aluminum (or alternatively go for the finished scope rail).

Pick whatever works best for you. And keep up the good work. Things like that can always happen.

Edited by T-Jay
  • Like 2

Hi Tom. Very sorry to hear about the broken aluminum stripe. Very often in this forum you can find recommendations to cut that grove on the opposite side of the bend. In general this is a good idea for the following reasons:
- it exactly defines the position on the rail where the bend happens
- it causes a sharp bend, rather than a soft and curvy bend
The only problem is, sometimes people cut too deep and reduce the stability of the material. Then the rail snaps when being bent. To leave enough stability, I would suggest to cut not more than about one third of the thickness. Anyway, it already happened and my words won't help you now, so what to do?! I guess we can forget about gluing and welding that aluminum, so I see these options. You can:
- check if the bigger part is still long enough to make the bracket from it
- check if you have anything else at home to scratch build the bracket from (bear in mind, this part is hard to see later)
- check if you find 2x20mm (or something close to this) aluminum stripes in a local D.I.Y. store
Or you can contact me to send you more aluminum (or alternatively go for the finished scope rail).
Pick whatever works best for you. And keep up the good work. Things like that can always happen.

Thanks Tino, in a way it's good to know I'm not alone in this haha.

What you mentioned about not cutting more than a third... this might be where my mistake was I think, I probably cut closer to halfway through. And unfortunately, there's not enough to make another piece big enough

I've found some 2mm Aluminum on Amazon which I've ordered, it's 300x50mm so I'll have plenty to make all the mistakes I like! Lol

Thanks again for the support! I'll be hollowing out the scope soon, scary stuff!

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:04 AM, BaneLives85 said:

... Lastly drilled a hole through the rear sight. Decided to go on in from each end and meet in the middle for this, didn't trust myself not to go wonky haha494de15fa13b19f55e6a9a846894ab31.jpg

Great work here Tom! - love your work on the rear sight so far!

• Like 1

Great work here Tom! - love your work on the rear sight so far!
Cheers Jesse! I was wondering whether I should go for that on or not... it seems like such a simple thing to do but can easily go wrong!

• Like 1

Today's updates: started work on the power cylinders, chopped down to 23mm each, rounded them off a little bit and getting ready to green stuff the wires on.

Scope: started hollowing this out yesterday, but had a wee problem with the space bits. When sizing down from the 25 to the 20, it started to go off centre. This was probably just me being me but oh well lol. So, stuffed half the hole with white stuff, and redrilled today, much straighter! Drill is charging up at the moment so couldn't quite get it done haha

I actually hollowed it the full way through, meeting at the other end. Scary stuff really! Will have to redrill through again but that'll be easy as the hole is already there

Mag: installed magnets here. Filled it up with white stuff to do then later drill holes for the magnets as the mag was hollow. Thing is, it feels a little... liable to come off... Will probably put another pair of magnets in...8290daf7467edf2bf6cf8a957fd10a43.jpge16b2be17b3427dd4300384529e41d71.jpg8c83b8cdbd199a40c3b6e299b78dcbdd.jpg8be69213e5a3af8abfde1e4c7d12dbc8.jpg55bb6ef46c9d982775bf73060cc5ddc4.jpg

• Like 2

Regarding the magnets: if you use all 5 of them and do not use any clay to cover them, their strength should feel fine.
Thanks Tino, I was actually wondering if I should cover them with a little clay or not, you must have read my mind!

It is possible to cover the magnets in both, the mag well and the magazine clip. Although it looks good, it will drastically reduce the required force to unplug the magazine. While trooping, you could lose your magazine clip...

The removable magazine is based on the idea to make your blaster smaller for packing it into your trooping bin. If you do not need to make it smaller, you can skip this mod if you like.

• Like 1