Yosh's R1 TK Build

yoshix

20190214-154612.jpg

The vocoder was the last mold I needed to make. DONE!

20190214-154313.jpg

Everything is painted and weathered. 

20190214-154537.jpg

It is less than perfect but I just had to keep telling myself 'the OT helmets are also hand painted and not symmetrical.' Still very proud nonetheless. 

20190214-154241.jpg

I'm hoping to get some pictures this weekend of the costume on me. Till then

• Like 3

I made a few changes before my little photo shoot yesterday that made a world of a difference 

20190217-093841.jpg

I cut a notch off the arms and cut them into a better more accurate shape. This helped correct the mistakes I made. 

20190217-093516.jpg

I also changed the ankles to be as tight as I could get them. You can see the one on the right is before and left is after. This was a big deal for me because it really bothered me how it looked. Now much more accurate. They started to crack a little so I will have to reinforce them eventually and paint again. 

And now, the big reveal 

20190217-095844.jpg

20190216-195601.jpg

20190217-100948.jpg

Hot Toys 1/6 scale figure or 501st approved costume? I am so happy with how this turned out. So much work has gone into this, and I still have a few things to change before I can go out trooping in it.

Edited by yoshix
  • Like 3

Nice work, I would try to bring your chest inwards so it's sits a little flusher against the ab plate, it may come down a little which could help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, I would try to bring your chest inwards so it's sits a little flusher against the ab plate, it may come down a little which could help.

I did look at that but many of the references photo I have show a large gab between the ab and chest plate.

IMG-20190217-164254.jpg

I do have my chest plate a hair too high though. I may try to fix that eventually. I'm also not a 100 percent on the under edge of my chest plate. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMG-20190328-144819.jpg

This little detail in Jimmy's kit just annoys me so much. It's the wrong shape on the shins. I don't know what to do about it. I considered trying to make my own but I'm just not crazy about going through that kind of trouble right now. I know 850 armorworks is working on vacuum formed Rogue One armor and I'm hoping they have a better sculpt. 

5 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Are you referring to the heavy contour? 

Yes, you see how it swoops inward dramatically at the ankle and then flares out at the boot. And it shouldn't have such a prominent calf. The curves just look wrong to me It should look more like the left photo and it bothers me.

10 minutes ago, yoshix said:

Yes, you see how it swoops inward dramatically at the ankle and then flares out at the boot. And it shouldn't have such a prominent calf. The curves just look wrong to me It should look more like the left photo and it bothers me.

Copy. Jim's kits do have a tendency to have  more curves to them but that's the personality of his fan sculpt. Does it negatively effect how the armor fits on you?

On 3/28/2019 at 9:45 PM, ukswrath said:

Does it negatively effect how the armor fits on you?

I suppose not but I think we need to be more accurate. 

I asked 850 armor works to send me some shoretrooper shins that I can hopefully mod to do the trick. 

52 minutes ago, yoshix said:

I suppose not but I think we need to be more accurate. 

I asked 850 armor works to send me some shoretrooper shins that I can hopefully mod to do the trick. 

Well 850s kits are considerably less detailed than Jim's (I've had both), not sure how this will resolve your issue if you're looking at it from an accuracy standpoint. Have you spoke with Jim to see if he's changed his process?

Sorry, to clarify I've had both of their kits, not necessarily R1 TK.

Edited by ukswrath

31 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Have you spoke with Jim to see if he's changed his process?

I wrote Jim about the issue just before I bought the kit. He said he would consider changing his molds when the ones he has are worn out. I haven't contacted him since so I dont know if he ever changed it.

I do believe you that 850s details are softer and therefore less accurate but for what I'm doing it should be fine and from what I've see from photos the general shape seems to be more accurate. Also, the fact that 850 is made of ABS is a big bonus for the opening and closing of the shins.

I'm considering buying a shoretrooper kit from 850, you just can't beat that price.

42 minutes ago, yoshix said:

I wrote Jim about the issue just before I bought the kit. He said he would consider changing his molds when the ones he has are worn out. I haven't contacted him since so I dont know if he ever changed it.

I do believe you that 850s details are softer and therefore less accurate but for what I'm doing it should be fine and from what I've see from photos the general shape seems to be more accurate. Also, the fact that 850 is made of ABS is a big bonus for the opening and closing of the shins.

I'm considering buying a shoretrooper kit from 850, you just can't beat that price.

Copy that

15 hours ago, LightBox said:

Quick question, how comfortable is the armor? Especially with walking through the sand and water! Looks wonderful.

Its not bad. Because it's more fitted and made to look tighter it's a little more comfortable and less bulky than my Anovos. Not much but it has the slight edge on my Anovos armor. As far as walking through sand and water I didn't really notice a difference, but for the most part I  can do stairs in both kits with no problem. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Excellent work and a very well planned endeavor...obviously always a work in progress but a sound base which to work from and improve/modify/obsess over..lol...well done Sir

On 5/22/2019 at 1:31 PM, Oztrooper said:

Excellent work and a very well planned endeavor...obviously always a work in progress but a sound base which to work from and improve/modify/obsess over..lol...well done Sir

Thank you!