Yosh's R1 TK Build

yoshix

20180103_101355_1.jpg

Cutting up the ab went well. I took off 3/4 of the very middle to push it closer together. 

20180103_101331_1.jpg

Trying to see if I can reuse some of the parts

• Like 1

On 02/01/2018 at 5:48 AM, yoshix said:

20180101_132819_1.jpg

Ok, I understand the hole on the right but what is that on the left? I don't see that in any of my reference photos. Does anyone else have this on their kit? Most likely I'm going to move the shoulder straps further down so I'll end up filling it in

I just looked at the CRL photo and it doesn't have it

I wonder if its possible that you've been sent an Inferno Squad back plate by mistake?

FB_IMG_1515105358472.jpg

1 hour ago, Dragon_a said:

I wonder if its possible that you've been sent an Inferno Squad back plate by mistake?

FB_IMG_1515105358472.jpg

A little hard to tell from the photo but that could very well be it

21 hours ago, Parquette said:

How are you going to fuse the abdomen back together? I'd advise using plastic sheets or something to reinforce it. It won't go back together with epoxy 2 part glue if there's no reinforcement.

That was exactly my plan 

20180104_095251_1.jpg

I used a plastic sign in back for support. 

20180104_110556_1.jpg

Using some scraps to try to fill in the gaps

20180104_092002_1.jpg

So this is something that I'm so very very very happy with.

20180104_092252_1.jpg

You can see to the left is the cut piece and the right is uncut. I wasn't sure if it was going to work, but in the end I'm so glad i did it. I can't wait to post pictures of the finished legs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yoshix said:

A little hard to tell from the photo but that could very well be it

The right hole exists on the Rogue one armor, but that indentation on the left doesn't. You've accidentally been sent an Inferno plate. 

20180105_105306_1.jpg

I'm going to recreate the little tabs that come up on the belt. The reference photos show that they curve in slightly so I glued a piece behind it to make it thicker.

20180105_110029_1.jpg

Pretty much finished with the belt boxes

20180105_105413_1.jpg

More and more glue. I thought I would put velcro on the back to hold the calves together but because they are so solid the back stays together on there own.

20180105_161113_1.jpg

So this isn't finished, I still need to do some more sanding and fill in the holes. 

20180105_161236_1.jpg

I really don't want to glue the shoulder straps in just in case I'd have to take them off some day for some reason, so I figured out that they are thick enough to be screwed in. Holds well

Yes that's the inferno back pla5e.  Also keep in mind the belt rectangles are not just rectangles. They have details like the shore troopers belts on top.  Really a rotk belt is just a hardmounted shoretrooper belt.

Are you going to make any major modifications to the Black Series? Like changing the brow height? Imo I feel that most of the character is in the brow, because the one on the BS is still too high for my liking. I did the brow change in my HOWTO thread, and seeing how you're butchering all the parts on your build, it seems like it'd be right up your alley ;) 

Keep the build coming! You're actually being really helpful towards ideas for my build. Even thought I finished it at one point, it really needs some things changed. 

Speakin of which, if you were to make a couple more belt boxes, how much would you charge for a complete set to Illinois? :D Could you pm me? 

5 hours ago, yoshix said:

20180105_161308_1.jpg

Originally I used velcro to conect in the back, but after the test fit today I decided to go with snaps.

How do you put this part on?  Can you reach behind to connect the snaps or do you put it on back to front and then rotate it round your body?

9 hours ago, rhapsodyred99 said:

Yes that's the inferno back pla5e.  Also keep in mind the belt rectangles are not just rectangles. They have details like the shore troopers belts on top.  Really a rotk belt is just a hardmounted shoretrooper belt.

That is correct. I'll call the boxes small, medium, larger and the drop boxes. You can't see in that photo but the medium box has a small detail on top. I'm pretty sure that's the only one though right?

8 hours ago, Parquette said:

Are you going to make any major modifications to the Black Series? Like changing the brow height? Imo I feel that most of the character is in the brow, because the one on the BS is still too high for my liking. I did the brow change in my HOWTO thread, and seeing how you're butchering all the parts on your build, it seems like it'd be right up your alley ;) 

Lol, that is right up my alley. I'll definitely check out your thread. But to be honest, I don't plan to do anything else with the helmet. I changed the hight of the dome, I haven't posted pictures from that yet. It was a lot of work and I'm happy with how it turned out.

8 hours ago, Parquette said:

Keep the build coming! You're actually being really helpful towards ideas for my build. Even thought I finished it at one point, it really needs some things changed. 

Speakin of which, if you were to make a couple more belt boxes, how much would you charge for a complete set to Illinois? :D Could you pm me? 

Thank you! I'll send you a pm here shortly. At the moment it's a little bit more expensive than I would like, because I have to use an 8" x8" piece to make one box. I think because of the styrene I'm using, so I'm going to try different thicknesses and different types, also abs, to see if I can get it better.

6 hours ago, Dragon_a said:

How do you put this part on?  Can you reach behind to connect the snaps or do you put it on back to front and then rotate it round your body?

I thought  I would be able to conect it in front and turn it around, but that didn't work out. I'm sure there are shoretroopers and deathtroopers that can do that. It's also a pain because the cod and butt plate hang down and get in the way. 

20180106_112047.jpg

Looks like a hot mess, but after I sand and shape it it will look really good 

20180106_112251.jpg

I wasn't sure how I was going to attach the butt plate, then I came up with this. Long strap to the crotch, three elastic straps connected with velcro to one side and a snap on the other. I try to use velcro incase I need to move it up or down slightly. Most of my straps are velcro on one side and a snap on the other.

20180106_095921_1.jpg

I didn't really want to be I ended up cutting about 7/8 off the cod. I had it pushed up under the ab, now with it shorter it hangs more and doesn't take up as much room inside.

20180106_095957_1.jpg

My side straps ended up looking like this. Again, velcro on one side, snap on the other. I think I'm going to paint the white areas black just in case.

• Like 1

20180106_135737_1.jpg

I learned so so much from today's test fit. For one, that top area of the ab has to go.

20180106_140508_1_01.jpg

Another thing is the upper part of my under suit needs to be tailored to fit better. I was bulging out of the elbows and armpits.

• Like 2

Also if you ask me, I'd say the belt is a tad too tall (this makes it more restricting too). It just doesn't look right. Seeing as how you've already machetes everything else (and made it turn out great!) I'd say make it a little shorter. It just looks restricting to me, and doesn't seem very accurate. 

4 hours ago, Parquette said:

Looking good. I'd trim off the tops of the thighs a tiny bit to be shorter. This'll allow it to be more mobile. You've got a lot of extra to spare. 

I noticed that as well. I was worried to cut too much as the very first stormtrooper kit I made it cut too much off the thighs and spend a lot of time trying to repair them and in the end they never looked right. The thighs are one of those things that ppl see and if they are too small makes you look odd. I am considering trimming them though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Parquette said:

Also if you ask me, I'd say the belt is a tad too tall (this makes it more restricting too). It just doesn't look right. Seeing as how you've already machetes everything else (and made it turn out great!) I'd say make it a little shorter. It just looks restricting to me, and doesn't seem very accurate. 

You sir, are on point! I like that. That picture was taken before I cut the taps into the belt.

20180106_151144.jpg

When you count the original tabs that I already sanded away, I took about a half inch away from the original belt. Plus it most likely looks overly larger because the boxes aren't attached yet.

• Like 1

20180108_083824_1.jpg

I haven't been able to do much in the last few days. I did get the knee plate on though.

20180108_084415_1.jpg

I cut a little plywood block and glued it on at just the right angle to push it away. I'll paint it white later.

20180108_165753_1.jpg

Also got the back of the thighs glued together. 

• Like 1