AM 2.0 HWT & ANH Stunt build

Eric Ostendorf

This is my first test fit of (almost) all of the armor!  I had a friend take pictures and some measurements so I knew how long to make the straps to hold the chest shut.  Looking good so far!

I think this was actually the night before I made the shoulder strap fillers and added the ab buttons in the previous post but the purpose of this test fit was to check how the back plate laid.  I was in a serious rush to get to this point to get ready for another build party where other TK's could help me adjust parts before I got too deep into making straps.     

5BfIBcT.jpg

i9JCYfp.jpg

6om2cFz.jpg

4QLQ1OQ.jpg

Edited by Alibi1986

At this point some mail came in and I was working on some accessories for my HWT. 

MP40 Ammo Packs - Leather - Etsy.com    I did not like the TrooperBay pouch design and most of what I could find on eBay looked very plasticky instead of leather.  These cost a little more (about $100 shipped) but I really like them and am happy.  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/598772504/star-wars-stormtroopersandtrooper-armour?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=mp40&ref=sr_gallery-1-5

wo9SGEA.jpg

HdIn3v4.jpg 

Orange Pauldron: Katarra8 on Ebay (she also has an Etsy)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Stormtrooper-Shoulder-Pauldron-your-choice-colors-FREE-US-s-h-/361514294420?var=&hash=item92e4b7b22f  

qhGkdES.jpg 

I also have a 3d Printer so I made this guy to carry around with me:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1985666 

neVDrfQ.jpg 

10 minutes ago, LTM said:

great find on the older build and the youtube!

Yup!  I have done a *ton* of digging and searching on every section of this build.  I actually have a google doc where I have saved links to really good threads pertaining to certain parts of my build.  I'll probably edit it and post it up on the first post as a "master resource list" or some such.  

The work continues!  At this point I'm really starting to feel the convention crush as I'm swiftly running out of time.  Sleep was minimal for a couple weeks at this point :(

Here is the ab complete!  The buttons could use a little paint touch up but otherwise I'm very happy with it.  The belt has just a tiny bit of overlap on the bottom of the button panel and the rivet covers came out really nice.  Drilling into the ab to add the snaps was unnerving but totally worth the results.

4rPDsCN.jpg

At this point I could wear the lower half of the armor, slide the chest over my head, and star work on the top half.

I first attached the shoulder bridges via velcro (which will get glued down eventually after I decide on their exact location, made an elastic loop to hold the back of the bridges down (this helps keep the chest/back in place way better than I expected) and then made a strap that goes from the side of the chest to the side of the back plate to hold the halves onto my body like a T-shirt.

After the chest was done, I started fitting the shoulder/bicep/forearm.  I knew from browsing Centurion submissions that the bell has to be super close to the shoulder bridge and the rest of the arm will be adjusted from there.  The arm fitting was a real pain but after several strap remakes and re-adjustments, I got it! 

YBv80It.jpg

And here is a picture from my first almost complete kit-up!  This was super satisfying to see come together.  My shoulder bells look a little big so I may trim them down a little but for now I'm leaving them alone.  Apologies for the less than perfect pictures, taking selfies in the mirror is hard :D

aKBPo2Z.jpg 

And at this point it is time to make the helmet work!  On a Tuesday.  Before leaving for the convention on Friday morning.  Uh oh.  

First I took the helmet apart and re-drilled the holes for the face to pull it forward a little.  In my test run it fit really tight so I tried to get all the space out of it I could.  Even now its still a little hard to get on and off so I may try a bit more trimming.  

After I had the helmet back together I trimmed up the ears the best I could but no matter what the ears just wouldn't lay flat.  I may need to work on this some more or worst case buy another set and try again.  

Then came the cutting of the teeth.  I used a dremel from the inside with a sanding drum to grind through the plastic and then used a series of files and sanding sticks to get the teeth shaped the way I wanted.  I was really happy till I realized my first mistake that the last two divots aren't supposed to be cut out.... dangit!  Oh well, patching the holes with a bit of ABS scrap and acetone won't be hard but I'm in crunch mode so I just ran with it.  

r8Tc40N.jpg

Next came decals, paint, lenses, and hovi tips.  And more mistakes :(   I got one of the tube strips on a bit wonky so I may have to buy new stickers and redo them but for now they are OK.  I also really butchered the paint (because painting small details at 4am is a bad idea) but I later touched that up with a toothpick.  

Or0yRd6.jpg

3F8gvoP.jpg

azmLEy2.jpg

And this is where construction of my armor ended due to it being Thursday night before the convention.  I did manage to shoe-horn in some helmet fans Saturday morning but otherwise I just ran with what I had.  I was lacking a thermal detonator, HWT pack, BFG, and a bit more trimming to avoid armor bites but all in all the armor worked out great. 

Here are some shots of me having a grand old time... the orange pauldron really helps to identify me in pictures with other TK's too!

i5fpgbh.jpg

JMtVIRn.jpg

BeeVvYK.jpg

9Awi362.jpg

vKNa0j2.jpg

Now that I am back from the convention I am taking a break for a week or two while I unpack and clean up my apartment before I get back to finishing the armor.  I need to trim a few spots, add the thigh ammo packs, build the HWT pack, and wait for my Hyperfirm DLT-19 to show up in the mail before I will be ready to submit pictures to become an official TK :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 6:25 PM, Frank75139 said:

Looks great and I like your two straps idea on the hand plates gonna use that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that idea on another builde thread here on FISD.  I don't remember who now though.  Two straps really does a good job to keep the plates from moving back and forth on my hand.  

Tiny bit of progress!  My Hyperfirm DLT-19 B Pull and 12.5 qt oil can for my HWT pack came in! 

The DLT is definitely a rougher B pull but I think I may try cleaning it up a bit with my Dremel and touching up the paint.  Its fine at a couple feet so its perfect as-is for trooping but I'm weird and can't leave well enough alone.

Hyperfirm: https://www.facebook.com/HFx-Productions-1669859386576227/ 

wPwlpvl.jpg 

And the oil can is just an oil can but it is the right size and shape to look right for the HWT.  It is the style recommended on UKsWrath build thread ( https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30034-hwt-backpack-build-part-1/ ) but that particular can that he links to does not exist on Amazon for cheap anymore but this link takes you to the same can (just rebranded) for $9.  I got two for $26 shipped.  The second can is going to a friend that is also working on a HWT.  

Oil Can: https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/garage-boss-drain-pan-with-funnel-12-5-quart/0000000271264?gclid=Cj0KCQjwodrXBRCzARIsAIU59TKEJFjCaMd5iysqYp5ugaAPtIPuTDXahUrf4bqC4kzhy1fF9M1QjgIaAouFEALw_wcB  

9yipbIY.jpg

Edited by Alibi1986
  • Like 2

More work!  I installed the right thigh ammo packs yesterday and went on a mini-troop today with no issues so it passes.  I did angle it up and tacked it down with a dab of E6000 to keep it from biting my shin like my sniper knee does and so far I can still walk just fine like before I installed it.

ab5tVw4.jpg

(I'm on the left with the orange pauldron)
EP7CUrh.jpg

dLBW9bm.jpg 

My next project is making some faux "magazines" for my MP40 packs.  I'm not really sure if the weight is worth the tiny bit of "realism" that being able to see the top couple inches in my mag packs is worth it but we will see.  These are cut from pine furring strip but if the weight isn't worth it then I may see about swapping to foam so I'm only making 6 for the side pouches for now.

STZO2tf.jpg

I'm only painting the upper 1/3 of each stick since thats all that is visible from the side.  I will be weathering these just a hair by dry brushing on some metallic silver.

5EcJHH8.jpg 

Edited by Alibi1986

Magazines built for side HWT MP40 packs.  They don't really seem to do a lot but they do help a bit to make the pouches less floppy and I suppose from certain angles will look slightly more real.  If the weight ends up being noticeable though I will remove them and go without. 

Empty pouch on the left, mags in pouches on the right:

dOh6PqA.jpg 

57tqGew.jpg

• Like 1

Those look good. I used foam to pad mine. I can only say from my experience that wearing everything gets Heavy( No Pun ) as the day goes on. 

Some events I fill pouches with individually wrapped Twizzlers(Licorice) and hand out to little fans.

Keep up the good work!:duim:

• Like 1

I used socks and hand towels to fill in the magazine pouches, LOL! Just do what’s comfortable. No one will really care what you have, besides other cosplayers that ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went ahead and finished up the shoulder MP40 pack wood magazine inserts to match the hip inserts.  These pictures do a better job of the "weathering" with the metallic paint rubbed over the black.  This will get attached to the pack shoulder strap after I get the pack built (details in the next post). 

g8h10PZ.jpg

kmzXZNS.jpg

And now that the body is pretty much done its time to get going on the pack again.  I will probably repost this part of my thread in the HWT section after I'm done so visibility so folks can find my files when I get done.

Files.  Yes.  I have a 3d printer that I have been playing with for about 2 years.  I have a good handle of printing stuff and I have modeled some very simple parts in Tinkercad and printed them (i.e. the snap plates).  But now I'm wanting to learn some better software so I'm using the pack parts as incentive to learn Fusion360.  I am using these threads as reference for the parts:

I am using a combination of the dimensions provided by justjoseph83 with the screengrabs from dashrazor to make my parts.  For example, the vent box will not be a flat rectangle, it will have an angle to it as show in the screen grabs.  So far I only have the vent box modeled but I will be working on other parts over the next couple weeks after I get back from vacation and I get my printer fixed (I damaged the print surface and have some new parts in the mail to upgrade the bed).  

I'm hoping to have a super nice looking pack when I'm done and I will be making a second for a friend of mine immediately afterwards.  After I get the bugs worked out of all the files I will be uploading them to Thingiverse and creating a build thread/tutorial in the HWT section.  Should be fun :D

Zi8pYfn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

More progress!  Slowly but surely.  I went to my local garrison's armor party this past weekend and got some small projects done. 

First I filled in the last teeth holes that I accidentally trimmed before my first convention.  I used a tiny flake of ABS scrap and acetone welded it from behind and then used a small dab of white E6000 on a toothpick to fill in the gaps from the front.  I don't think anyone would notice unless I told them about it so I'm happy with my repairs.  I need to do a dab of paint touch-up but that's fast and easy. 

BiqufAu.jpg

DVawEok.jpg 

Next I made a bracket to hold my Aker and Icomm in my chest plate.  I was hanging them around my neck on the factory Aker strap but it was annoying to have it sway under my armor and having one more thing around my neck was a nuisance.  I have left holes in the bracket so that I can still charge it and hook everything up without having to take it out but if I need to it is just velcro-ed in place. 

vJSbw2G.jpg

GPJ7o3N.jpg

fekU0Rk.jpg

Progress on my pack is slowly chugging along.  I am slowly working on making 3d print files but in the mean time I have collected all the parts that I'm not going to print.  It sorta kinda looks like a HWT pack already :)

aGAnwzU.jpg

But I still really want some kind of storage capability.  I stumbled on this plastic sample carrying case at my work today and saved it from the dumpster.  It is a little thicker than the oil can, but otherwise its almost the right size.  Honestly, I think it is a better match to the screenshots from Battlefront.  I think I'm going to go ahead and build up the oil can pack as CRL accurate as possible, but I think I may go ahead and build this second box up as a video-game accurate pack..

htOfbJu.jpg

iMNAFLs.jpg

kG3wBvs.jpg

Lbwco4s.jpg

Tony is spot-on there, Eric.  Even the added weight of a few pounds can really cause the straps on the pack to dig into your shoulders after a few hours. 

42 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

Tony is spot-on there, Eric.  Even the added weight of a few pounds can really cause the straps on the pack to dig into your shoulders after a few hours. 

Ah yup.

Great costume and workout!:mellow:

Thanks for the input guys!  I don't have a super accurate scale but I think the hinged box is about 2lbs heavier than the oil can.  Its not a *ton* of weight but its enough to certainly make a difference so I will take that into account.  The wood "magazines" make my belt a lot heavier too so those will probably be going away soon.  

I'm definitely going to build up the oil can pack first though.  I have some padded shoulder straps coming in from Amazon that I hope will make carrying it more comfortable too.  The 3d printed boxes will probably be a little big heavier than the Pop-It boxes, but I doubt it would be by much and the biggest bonus is that it would be much cheaper for me to print them off in black plastic.  

Dunno.  There are lot of details up in the air till I get everything printed and start mounting stuff.  

Small progress.  I painted my PVC side tubes (making two - one for me and one for another pack for a friend) and 3d printed end caps assembled onto the tubes.  The printed caps are a very snug fit so no glue was used.  Hopefully I don't lose one, but if I do I'll just print another and put glue on it *before* giving them a test fit.  

My plan for this week is to get going on the rest of the pack parts to 3d print.  I have the large angled vent box almost done and will be working on the tube stripes next.  

jLE5DkH.jpg

gQijxdF.jpg